Another New Directory Coming

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Don't know how far along they are with this one but the folks at Reservation Nexus are working on a new directory. Not sure how they are getting inns listed or if there is going to be any cost involved in the future. I just saw the VA page and then noted some I know are still not listed.
http://www.destinationnexus.com/Virginia.html

I am curious...when anyone else clicks that link, does it take you to where your ISP originates? I find that essentially annoying. If I'm going on vacation, it is probably NOT going to be 2 miles from where my ISP is located, and yet, that is what I was presented with.
I also find it an invasion of privacy. If I know immediately that a website is narrowing down where I live and tracking me I am less likely to ever use it again.

I am curious...when anyone else clicks that link, does it take you to where your ISP originates? I find that essentially annoying. If I'm going on vacation, it is probably NOT going to be 2 miles from where my ISP is located, and yet, that is what I was presented with.
I also find it an invasion of privacy. If I know immediately that a website is narrowing down where I live and tracking me I am less likely to ever use it again..
If I go to that link it does not re-direct me, but if I go to the home page it does ... which is pretty annoying. (I'm sure they think it is cute)
It bothers me more from a useablity aspect than from a privacy issue. They wouldn't need to track where you are ... they are just using the data from your isp to geo-locate you. They don't need to remember it... it is just an immediate lookup and return. (at least thats the way they ought to be doing it)
The stupid part is they are constantly sending out signals (302 redirect) that says "hey our home page has moved temporarily...its now NY" (or wherever the spider is coming from). Hopefully they were smart enough not to redirect the spiders ... but there are a ton of spiders to it is difficult to reliably know them all by IP address.
The even more annoying part is that when I request the home page, http://www.destinationnexus.com/ it takes on average 19 seconds to load the page as a result of the redirect. People aren't that patient. Within 19 seconds I could have already found the town I was actually looking for and started looking at potential places to stay. This is a "feature" that they should re-think.

I also find it an invasion of privacy. If I know immediately that a website is narrowing down where I live and tracking me I am less likely to ever use it again..
If I go to that link it does not re-direct me, but if I go to the home page it does ... which is pretty annoying. (I'm sure they think it is cute)
It bothers me more from a useablity aspect than from a privacy issue. They wouldn't need to track where you are ... they are just using the data from your isp to geo-locate you. They don't need to remember it... it is just an immediate lookup and return. (at least thats the way they ought to be doing it)
The stupid part is they are constantly sending out signals (302 redirect) that says "hey our home page has moved temporarily...its now NY" (or wherever the spider is coming from). Hopefully they were smart enough not to redirect the spiders ... but there are a ton of spiders to it is difficult to reliably know them all by IP address.
The even more annoying part is that when I request the home page, http://www.destinationnexus.com/ it takes on average 19 seconds to load the page as a result of the redirect. People aren't that patient. Within 19 seconds I could have already found the town I was actually looking for and started looking at potential places to stay. This is a "feature" that they should re-think.
Yes, it took forever to load. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, thinking it might be my DSL.

Yeah I tried it to and it just sat there and I gave up. I don' t know how close to even being done this is..It is something they have been talking about with some of their clients..so I don't even know if this is for public consumption yet. Still lots to do in my opinion.

It loaded for me, and only shows Silver Thatch for Charlottesville. Are they only going to show their clients? Because otherwise that's an odd one to be the only one showing.
Riki

It loaded for me, and only shows Silver Thatch for Charlottesville. Are they only going to show their clients? Because otherwise that's an odd one to be the only one showing.
Riki.
I just heard it went live for the first time today. and that they continue working on it...no..they are going to list everyone...not just their clients. But don't know any other details yet. They think it will be big.....me???? I am not sure...they have a lot to prove to beat out some of the others.

I don't know why they give Arlington a whole paragraph and quick at the end mention other things in Virginia. And I know I'm biased, but they don't seem to mention the wine industry here. When Virginia has been written up as one of the 5 new wine areas in the world to visit this year..
Yes I can see they are working on it. They now have Foxfield as well.
RIki

I clicked on the link in your post and it took me to Virginia - with lots of different Inns listed in VA - I am in Michigan. I am thinking VA is the default or where they are located?

When I clicked on MI it only listed 5 Inns and I know the one closest to my home is a Resnexus client (they were not listed).

I clicked on the link in your post and it took me to Virginia - with lots of different Inns listed in VA - I am in Michigan. I am thinking VA is the default or where they are located?.
No, that was the link that was sent to me. I tried taking it off and just going to the direct domain, but it took so long to load, I just figured you'd get the idea this was just a sample page. Then you could try to find your own state. As I said..this is a work in progress that they probably don't want too many people to know about yet.

OK, when I tried to go Home I only got Ohio.
First listing I looked at (b/c it sounded familiar) there was no mention of what city it is in. And their website didn't help much, either.
Mostly, though, I was wondering how to list my inn, and when I didn't find it in a few minutes (and the thing seemed bogged down and not loading) I was off to do three other things instead.
=)
Kk.

Well I am now listed in Charlottesville. But somebody needs to tell them that Monticello is not going to accept any reservations anytime soon. I'm not sure why they are listed....!
Riki

OK, just went on again to poke around... gosh, I'm already listed? Guess I need to add a pic now... It's the first time I've seen all four local inns on one page.
So, how do they get money to do this?
=)
Kk.

OK, just went on again to poke around... gosh, I'm already listed? Guess I need to add a pic now... It's the first time I've seen all four local inns on one page.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
do you mean the inns or ResNexus?

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
muirford said:
YellowSocks said:
I meant destination nexus... somehow I missed that they are from Res Nexus. (Duh)
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
Me too. Let me know if you find out how to add a pic.

Back