Another PITA, grrrrrr.....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On topic, yet slightly off topic- we went away for a few days last month. Stayed in a hotel (no comments, please :) ) and their pillows were TERRIBLE. I mean AWFUL. So bad that after the first night, I had to go to the nearest Target and buy myself a pillow for the rest of the nights we were there.
Yes, some people sleep better on their own pillows- had I known how bad theirs were, I most certainly would have brought my own....
Penelope said:
On topic, yet slightly off topic- we went away for a few days last month. Stayed in a hotel (no comments, please :) ) and their pillows were TERRIBLE. I mean AWFUL. So bad that after the first night, I had to go to the nearest Target and buy myself a pillow for the rest of the nights we were there.
Yes, some people sleep better on their own pillows- had I known how bad theirs were, I most certainly would have brought my own...
Why do you say no comments? We stay at hotels, we have kids, they have pools and two beds per room. I stay at B&B's on my own, or romantic getaway with spouse, not with kids typically. Only a couple B&B's of innmates have the girls been to, and they are B&B kids, so know the protocol. "Let them eat continental" cereal in little boxes, orange juice machines...that is what my girls dig!
wink_smile.gif

We stay at B&Bs sometimes and hotels other times. We are going to France and the hassle of booking has surprised us. (And we speak perfect French). Most of the B&Bs are using email to do bookings or telephone. And then they want you to send them money with paypal, and pay their paypal fees. We have Euros, so we want to pay in cash. The hotels will hold our CC and let us pay cash.... so we are doing hotels instead.
We considered renting an apartment in Paris to save money and then I realized... I'm on vacation, I don't want to do any of that! I'm paying the extra for a hotel so someone else can clean the room, make the bed, etc. (And we don't take breakfast at the hotel. I can manage to walk over to the patisserie and buy my own fresh croissant.)
Chocolate croissants. I'm back in Paris just thinking about it.
Chocolatine.jpg
Were they shaped like crescents? If they weren't, they are actually called pain au chocolate or (locally around here) chocolatine .
Personally, I don't like dark chocolate. When we bake them and there are left overs, I open them and dump out the chocolate... leaving the chocolate in the sink.
Some like your picture and some like a usual crescent, depended on the city. I remember needing a gallon of water afterwards.
Around here they are mostly like the picture and callec Chocolatine
My personal favourite are those with almond paste (pate d'amande), which you might think is marzipan, but is actually frangipane. Marzipan in French is Massepain.
20070920_kouignamann13.jpg
Ever had a kouign amann? I told our guest about the bakery (the one and only) that makes them around here... and they brought one back form. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My personal favourite are those with almond paste (pate d'amande), which you might think is marzipan, but is actually frangipane. Marzipan in French is Massepain.
Ever had a kouign amann? I told our guest about the bakery (the one and only) that makes them around here... and they brought one back form. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
There was a bakery down the street from our hotel in Paris. There was a confection called (if I can get it right) Religeuse that looked fabulous. First I was afraid that the looks may be better than the taste (as I have experienced a few times) and second it was 3.95 E and when I computed that, with my .66 E on the $1 US, I decided it will be a haunting memory.
patisserie_religieuse3%5B1%5D.jpg
A religeuse is made from puff pasty. This isn't. This is the same dough as croissants, except sugar has been used in place of butter on some layers and then caramelized.
Basic ruled... don't skip doing something you might regret for cost. The flight to Europe alone makes the regrets too expensive.
20091130-petsdesoeur2.jpg
We have a local pastry that has a name that makes me smile each time. Pets de soeur is the name. See the link for the translation.

Yes, some people sleep better on their own pillows- had I known how bad theirs were, I most certainly would have brought my own....
Penelope said:
Yes, some people sleep better on their own pillows- had I known how bad theirs were, I most certainly would have brought my own...
Why do you say no comments? We stay at hotels, we have kids, they have pools and two beds per room. I stay at B&B's on my own, or romantic getaway with spouse, not with kids typically. Only a couple B&B's of innmates have the girls been to, and they are B&B kids, so know the protocol. "Let them eat continental" cereal in little boxes, orange juice machines...that is what my girls dig!
wink_smile.gif

We stay at B&Bs sometimes and hotels other times. We are going to France and the hassle of booking has surprised us. (And we speak perfect French). Most of the B&Bs are using email to do bookings or telephone. And then they want you to send them money with paypal, and pay their paypal fees. We have Euros, so we want to pay in cash. The hotels will hold our CC and let us pay cash.... so we are doing hotels instead.
We considered renting an apartment in Paris to save money and then I realized... I'm on vacation, I don't want to do any of that! I'm paying the extra for a hotel so someone else can clean the room, make the bed, etc. (And we don't take breakfast at the hotel. I can manage to walk over to the patisserie and buy my own fresh croissant.)
Chocolatine.jpg
Were they shaped like crescents? If they weren't, they are actually called pain au chocolate or (locally around here) chocolatine .
Personally, I don't like dark chocolate. When we bake them and there are left overs, I open them and dump out the chocolate... leaving the chocolate in the sink.
Some like your picture and some like a usual crescent, depended on the city. I remember needing a gallon of water afterwards.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
There was a bakery down the street from our hotel in Paris. There was a confection called (if I can get it right) Religeuse that looked fabulous. First I was afraid that the looks may be better than the taste (as I have experienced a few times) and second it was 3.95 E and when I computed that, with my .66 E on the $1 US, I decided it will be a haunting memory.
patisserie_religieuse3%5B1%5D.jpg
A religeuse is made from puff pasty. This isn't. This is the same dough as croissants, except sugar has been used in place of butter on some layers and then caramelized.
Basic ruled... don't skip doing something you might regret for cost. The flight to Europe alone makes the regrets too expensive.
20091130-petsdesoeur2.jpg
We have a local pastry that has a name that makes me smile each time. Pets de soeur is the name. See the link for the translation.
If the purple picture is a religeuse, it does not look like my goodie. I knew it was not the same as what you were talking about. It really is not a regret - it is now something that will never be forgotten, just as my adventure at the Eiffel Tower is. I actually prefer it to be in my memory than in my saddlebags. They are big enough. I did buy a package of madelines - not my idea of a treat or munchie. That was the disappointment I was trying to avoid - and did - at the bakery.

Penelope said:
wink_smile.gif

Chocolatine.jpg
your pictures are making me hungry and grumpy.

Back