Another PITA, grrrrrr.....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
Grrrrr......I am so sick of guests bringing their own pillows and then taking mine with them, leaving their nasty, stained, slobbered on pillows here. I buy expensive pillows, 3 or 4 on each bed. I go into cottage 8 this morning and HELLLOOOOO, not my pillows on the bed!
Sometimes they even exchange pillows and put their dirty pillows into my slips and stuff my pillows into theirs. Well, today I am steaming. They actually took all 4 pillows and left me 2 of theirs.
angry_smile.gif

Wow. I usually just get to keep the extra pillows, I've never ended up with someone else's discards. Ouch.

Another unanticipated consequence of the bad economy. Wonder what they will be taking next? I would check the room BEFORE they leave next time.

Unless they have identical pillowcases as yours, I would consider this intentional theft (besides the fact that they took 4 and left 2 behind). I would give the guests a call to give them notice and then charge their credit card for the 4 missing pillows.

I agree with TLE here. If they changed them out, they did so with full intent to steal your pillows. I would charge their card for the replacement value of the pillows and call them to inform them of the charge. Then I would send them a copy of the charge slip as well as a copy of your receipt of the purchase of new pillows.
Since this is becoming a reoccuring thing you need to consider an avenue to remove that thought from their heads. Here is 2 ideas:
1- Place an note in the room stating that due to increased interest in our pillows, Iris is now selling our pillows at the cost of $$. Please see the inkeeper if interested. (of course you then must keep a few new ones on hand) I do know a few innkeepers that do sell their bedding - at a nice profit I may add.
2 - Add a new policy to your confirmation letter that includes the what will happen if there are missing items after departure.

I too found old yellowed pillows in a room recently and said aloud "WHAT THE HECK?" Where did these come from, did these come out of a cover pillow and I didn't know it was this disgusting? But wait all of mine have protectors on them. I think they left them there for me to dispose of, they were foul.

I agree with TLE here. If they changed them out, they did so with full intent to steal your pillows. I would charge their card for the replacement value of the pillows and call them to inform them of the charge. Then I would send them a copy of the charge slip as well as a copy of your receipt of the purchase of new pillows.
Since this is becoming a reoccuring thing you need to consider an avenue to remove that thought from their heads. Here is 2 ideas:
1- Place an note in the room stating that due to increased interest in our pillows, Iris is now selling our pillows at the cost of $$. Please see the inkeeper if interested. (of course you then must keep a few new ones on hand) I do know a few innkeepers that do sell their bedding - at a nice profit I may add.
2 - Add a new policy to your confirmation letter that includes the what will happen if there are missing items after departure..
Copperhead said:
2 - Add a new policy to your confirmation letter that includes the what will happen if there are missing items after departure.
Oh I love your first idea. That is the route I am going to take.
I do not think that they make a mistake I think they do it deliberately and it is happening way too much. I do have nice pillows but geez.

Wouldn't you have some disclosure regarding damaged and or missing items.....that they will be charged to the credit card used for payment of stay?
I know this is a problem with all facilities that provide over night lodging.
Towels, pillows.....what ever.
I was wondering about the decorative items that you have in the rooms? Hotels, motels and such don't have such items....B&B's however provide that home away from home atmosphere....bedrooms, common areas all have those warm home touches......many provide a library and use of DVD's to guests....
How much of this stuff ends up missing?
do you recoup the costs?
Is this subject clearly spelled out on the rental agreement?

Wouldn't you have some disclosure regarding damaged and or missing items.....that they will be charged to the credit card used for payment of stay?
I was wondering about the decorative items that you have in the rooms? Hotels, motels and such don't have such items....B&B's however provide that home away from home atmosphere....bedrooms, common areas all have those warm home touches......many provide a library and use of DVD's to guests....
do you recoup the costs?
Is this subject clearly spelled out on the rental agreement?.
One Day said:
do you recoup the costs?
Is this subject clearly spelled out on the rental agreement?
This is not allowed by the credit card companies. We cannot charge a credit card for damages. And a lot of guests know this, in particular, the guests who cause damage. I've had an innkeeper friend have a drunken group urinate on and ruin bed mattresses and they dared her to charge them, since they knew they could contest it.
On the other hand, B&B guests are not the kind to steal. We have had nothing taken in our two years of business.
Riki

New acronym: NOPT - Nasty Old Pillow Thief So, you would have a PITA NOPT.
Yikes, how gross. I agree with the above mentioned remedies, but now this has me wondering if the pillows inside our pillow protectors are really ours?
I usually pickup and smell the pillows when changing the pillow cases, but I guess I need to unzip the protectors and to a visual examine as well. What a royal PITA!

Whoa !!!
You mean to tell me you have no recourse for damaged or stolen items?
i understand that there would be a trust isue here and a "he said, she said" kinda thing.
C'mon.......a guest breaks something....they should pay for it....I don't see the difference than when in a gift shop per say.....seeing signs...."you break it, you bought it"
Stolen items....ie; pillow, towels, DVD's......these are just written off?
What about at check in.....you have a contract, or rental agreement that they sign, 2 or 3 part document.......in that the listing of "standard" room items......2 or 4 pillows.....2 bath, 2 hand, 2 wash cloth towels, etc...
and when they ask for additional pillows or towels, or even a DVD to use........an ammendment or additional kind of paper that they sign........as in a "work change order" release

Whoa !!!
i understand that there would be a trust isue here and a "he said, she said" kinda thing.
C'mon.......a guest breaks something....they should pay for it....I don't see the difference than when in a gift shop per say.....seeing signs...."you break it, you bought it"
What about at check in.....you have a contract, or rental agreement that they sign, 2 or 3 part document.......in that the listing of "standard" room items......2 or 4 pillows.....2 bath, 2 hand, 2 wash cloth towels, etc...
and when they ask for additional pillows or towels, or even a DVD to use........an ammendment or additional kind of paper that they sign........as in a "work change order" release.
One Day said:
Whoa !!!
and when they ask for additional pillows or towels, or even a DVD to use........an ammendment or additional kind of paper that they sign........as in a "work change order" release
I'll just focus on the 'rental agreement in 2-3 parts'. No. That is not what the guests sees on check-in. Ours states they will be responsible for any damages incurred, one paragraph. But I don't list what's in the room. I don't do a pre and post walk-thru with the guest like you do with an apartment rental or a weekly summer rental. I'd have to say that if guests started walking off with the pillows, I'd attempt to collect, but I'm not sure I'd get anything for my trouble.
What you have to realize is you're not renting an apt. You're letting someone stay in your home. It's a whole different dynamic, altho it's obvious that not everyone (guests who steal) sees it that way!

damn.....
But.....bath towels or the bath sheets are not cheap......nore are the pillows.
A guests walks out with a pillow and a couple towels.....that's not a small hit.
I guess....you'd have to contact them and try to work out a payment.
Having extra towels on hand.....but linnen full of pillows?

damn.....
A guests walks out with a pillow and a couple towels.....that's not a small hit.
Having extra towels on hand.....but linnen full of pillows?.
One Day said:
damn.....
Having extra towels on hand.....but linnen full of pillows?
Stealing is definitely something we've not had the experience of. But it is a good reason you'll hear innkeepers say to not put something in the inn it would personally hurt you to lose. (That and accidental breakage.) Oh, wait, I take that back...our coffee mugs get stolen all the time. But that's publicity so I don't take it as personally as I did the first time it happened.
Towels get destroyed all the time. I just spent $600 on all new towels. They've been out about 2 weeks now and we've already had damages. So, word to the wise, buy more than you really need, because you really need more than you think you do.

Whoa !!!
and when they ask for additional pillows or towels, or even a DVD to use........an ammendment or additional kind of paper that they sign........as in a "work change order" release.
One Day said:
Whoa !!!
Nope we don't. The credit card companies back the guest. There have even been innkeepers who have lost chargebacks for guests who cancel at the last minute, or contest the charge for whatever reason.
Riki

Thanks Bree
Having extra on hand is a gimme for me....I have extra equipment, tools and such...we don't need down time, scheduling must be kept.
If you have the clause......"responsible for damaged items".....is that enough for the CC ?.........or do you have to make contact and make arrangement.....as in the case with (sorry, forgetting the name) who recently had a guest break a chair in the room?
perhaps I am over sensationalizing the stolen item aspect......I would imagine that the B&B guest is not apt to being theives. It's the nature of it....Personaly. I have never taken towels and such......Note pad and pen, sometimes. Always would use the post cards provided........Never towels or pillows
I'm gathering that missing items is basicaly a none issue for B&B's?

Thanks Bree
Having extra on hand is a gimme for me....I have extra equipment, tools and such...we don't need down time, scheduling must be kept.
If you have the clause......"responsible for damaged items".....is that enough for the CC ?.........or do you have to make contact and make arrangement.....as in the case with (sorry, forgetting the name) who recently had a guest break a chair in the room?
perhaps I am over sensationalizing the stolen item aspect......I would imagine that the B&B guest is not apt to being theives. It's the nature of it....Personaly. I have never taken towels and such......Note pad and pen, sometimes. Always would use the post cards provided........Never towels or pillows
I'm gathering that missing items is basicaly a none issue for B&B's?.
One Day said:
I'm gathering that missing items is basicaly a none issue for B&B's?
It hasn't been a problem for us. I think Iris is the first place that's had such rampant abuse of hospitality in the stealing of her pillows. (Actually, I'd love to know what pillows she's buying!) I think a couple of other places have had issues, but not ongoing issues. Initial contact with the guest after the theft or breakage is noted is time to be careful. You really don't know that the guest who was in the room did the stealing or damage as someone else could just as easily have walked into the empty room and taken something. (Which is why I think some guests lock their doors on check-out, to avoid being held responsible for someone else's mischief.)

Whoa !!!
One Day said:
Whoa !!!
Its not that there is no recourse. You can always send them a bill for the items. And if you are careful about the wording on the check-in sheet and actually specify that damages will be billed to their credit card, then it is possible to charge them for it. If all the ducks are in a row, it may stand up to a chargeback complaint.
The "you break it you bought it" mentality works for shops, where the shopowner hears the crash and sees the person standing right next to the broken item. While the person is right there, they may be embarrasssed enough to pay for the damage. In the case of innkeeping, the person is often miles away before damage or loss is discovered and then the person gets "phone cajones" or "email cajones" where they feel they can deny what they have done.
On the part of the innkeeper, it comes down to "what is the hassle worth?" For some items we may choose to eat the cost. For others we may choose to try and bill them for it.

Whoa !!!
One Day said:
Whoa !!!
Its not that there is no recourse. You can always send them a bill for the items. And if you are careful about the wording on the check-in sheet and actually specify that damages will be billed to their credit card, then it is possible to charge them for it. If all the ducks are in a row, it may stand up to a chargeback complaint.
The "you break it you bought it" mentality works for shops, where the shopowner hears the crash and sees the person standing right next to the broken item. While the person is right there, they may be embarrasssed enough to pay for the damage. In the case of innkeeping, the person is often miles away before damage or loss is discovered and then the person gets "phone cajones" or "email cajones" where they feel they can deny what they have done.
On the part of the innkeeper, it comes down to "what is the hassle worth?" For some items we may choose to eat the cost. For others we may choose to try and bill them for it.
One Day said:
Whoa !!!
I have been advised to bill the credit card for "additional cleaning services" and that will fly. But I've never had the problem...YET.
RIki

Whoa !!!
One Day said:
Whoa !!!
"phone cajones"
'Phone cajones' are really 'phoney cajones' because the guest would rarely say anything similar in person.

Back