Another PITA, grrrrrr.....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa !!!
You mean to tell me you have no recourse for damaged or stolen items?
i understand that there would be a trust isue here and a "he said, she said" kinda thing.
C'mon.......a guest breaks something....they should pay for it....I don't see the difference than when in a gift shop per say.....seeing signs...."you break it, you bought it"
Stolen items....ie; pillow, towels, DVD's......these are just written off?
What about at check in.....you have a contract, or rental agreement that they sign, 2 or 3 part document.......in that the listing of "standard" room items......2 or 4 pillows.....2 bath, 2 hand, 2 wash cloth towels, etc...
and when they ask for additional pillows or towels, or even a DVD to use........an ammendment or additional kind of paper that they sign........as in a "work change order" release.
One Day said:
Whoa !!!
Its not that there is no recourse. You can always send them a bill for the items. And if you are careful about the wording on the check-in sheet and actually specify that damages will be billed to their credit card, then it is possible to charge them for it. If all the ducks are in a row, it may stand up to a chargeback complaint.
The "you break it you bought it" mentality works for shops, where the shopowner hears the crash and sees the person standing right next to the broken item. While the person is right there, they may be embarrasssed enough to pay for the damage. In the case of innkeeping, the person is often miles away before damage or loss is discovered and then the person gets "phone cajones" or "email cajones" where they feel they can deny what they have done.
On the part of the innkeeper, it comes down to "what is the hassle worth?" For some items we may choose to eat the cost. For others we may choose to try and bill them for it.
Yeah....
I can equate that to our business doings.
Just last week one of th men broke the glass of a side view mirror of a neighbors car....$375 just for the glass and repair...would have been nearly $600 to replace the entire mirror assembly.
Poop happens.....
Theft......I have an issue with that.
I can understand the odd towel.............a pillow?

Thanks Bree
Having extra on hand is a gimme for me....I have extra equipment, tools and such...we don't need down time, scheduling must be kept.
If you have the clause......"responsible for damaged items".....is that enough for the CC ?.........or do you have to make contact and make arrangement.....as in the case with (sorry, forgetting the name) who recently had a guest break a chair in the room?
perhaps I am over sensationalizing the stolen item aspect......I would imagine that the B&B guest is not apt to being theives. It's the nature of it....Personaly. I have never taken towels and such......Note pad and pen, sometimes. Always would use the post cards provided........Never towels or pillows
I'm gathering that missing items is basicaly a none issue for B&B's?.
One Day said:
I'm gathering that missing items is basicaly a none issue for B&B's?
Stealing really isn't usually an issue with B&Bs. Damage and breakage can be. As said above, the CC doen't usually go in favor of an innkeeper when there is a dispute. The other recourse is to take them to small claims. If it were a large dollar amount in question then I would, but most of us would probably say it's not worth all the extra effort and time if it were small potatoes.
My suggestion would be to charge their card and hope they feel bad enough they would not dispute it. Then if they do, forget it.
I've only charged for damage 1 in 9 years...mostly because they were so stupid and burned a candle (which was against our policy) and burned a hole in our lace shower curtain. Charged them $40 and then got attitude from them. They didn't dispute it.

Wouldn't you have some disclosure regarding damaged and or missing items.....that they will be charged to the credit card used for payment of stay?
I know this is a problem with all facilities that provide over night lodging.
Towels, pillows.....what ever.
I was wondering about the decorative items that you have in the rooms? Hotels, motels and such don't have such items....B&B's however provide that home away from home atmosphere....bedrooms, common areas all have those warm home touches......many provide a library and use of DVD's to guests....
How much of this stuff ends up missing?
do you recoup the costs?
Is this subject clearly spelled out on the rental agreement?.
One Day said:
Wouldn't you have some disclosure regarding damaged and or missing items.....that they will be charged to the credit card used for payment of stay?
I was wondering about the decorative items that you have in the rooms? Hotels, motels and such don't have such items....B&B's however provide that home away from home atmosphere....bedrooms, common areas all have those warm home touches......many provide a library and use of DVD's to guests....
do you recoup the costs?
Is this subject clearly spelled out on the rental agreement?
This is not allowed by the credit card companies. We cannot charge a credit card for damages. And a lot of guests know this, in particular, the guests who cause damage. I've had an innkeeper friend have a drunken group urinate on and ruin bed mattresses and they dared her to charge them, since they knew they could contest it.
On the other hand, B&B guests are not the kind to steal. We have had nothing taken in our two years of business.
Riki
I think you could file a police report and charge them for vandalism. That might get the point across.

Whoa !!!
i understand that there would be a trust isue here and a "he said, she said" kinda thing.
C'mon.......a guest breaks something....they should pay for it....I don't see the difference than when in a gift shop per say.....seeing signs...."you break it, you bought it"
What about at check in.....you have a contract, or rental agreement that they sign, 2 or 3 part document.......in that the listing of "standard" room items......2 or 4 pillows.....2 bath, 2 hand, 2 wash cloth towels, etc...
and when they ask for additional pillows or towels, or even a DVD to use........an ammendment or additional kind of paper that they sign........as in a "work change order" release.
Your post is one of the reasons we keep telling you to go stay in a few B & Bs before you get set on having a B & B. So much of what we tell you would be obvious from a guest perspective of someone thinking of having a B & B.
Read some of your posts and then consider how you would feel if an innkeeper had you sign those forms, told you that, etc. Doing B & B is basically - for me - doing what I would want if I were the guest. That is the only persective I have other than what I get from my inn-mates.

Whoa !!!
I don't think that's a good way to start of or continue a relationship with a guest. that would also mean that you have to prove that the stuff you listed is actually in that room. Not good. Most guests don't do these things, I just can't believe that anyone would bring their own pillows and then exchange them for something maybe 100 people layed their heads on.
And by the way Joe, they take my pillow protectors as well. Very bold.
pita.gif

damn.....
But.....bath towels or the bath sheets are not cheap......nore are the pillows.
A guests walks out with a pillow and a couple towels.....that's not a small hit.
I guess....you'd have to contact them and try to work out a payment.
Having extra towels on hand.....but linnen full of pillows?.
they will deny having taken the items. Really. I made the mistake of calling a guest on a pillow missing. I said " is it possible that one of our pillows mistakenly got packed into your car? blablabla you should have heard the response. Not worth it.

Whoa !!!
Your post is one of the reasons we keep telling you to go stay in a few B & Bs before you get set on having a B & B. So much of what we tell you would be obvious from a guest perspective of someone thinking of having a B & B.
Read some of your posts and then consider how you would feel if an innkeeper had you sign those forms, told you that, etc. Doing B & B is basically - for me - doing what I would want if I were the guest. That is the only persective I have other than what I get from my inn-mates.
gillumhouse said:
I agree totally with Gillum House. To really participate fully in these discussions, it's imperitive you get a B&B experience. Your experiences have been with hotels and motels. To really understand where we're coming from and the advice we're giving you MUST stay at some B&Bs. Every one is very different from the next, but there are certain things we all have in common, and you have to feel it and experience it for yourself. It's intangible...it's not something you can just get from discussion.

do you recoup the costs?
Is this subject clearly spelled out on the rental agreement?.
One Day said:
do you recoup the costs?
Is this subject clearly spelled out on the rental agreement?
This is not allowed by the credit card companies. We cannot charge a credit card for damages. And a lot of guests know this, in particular, the guests who cause damage. I've had an innkeeper friend have a drunken group urinate on and ruin bed mattresses and they dared her to charge them, since they knew they could contest it.
On the other hand, B&B guests are not the kind to steal. We have had nothing taken in our two years of business.
Riki
This is one of the reasons why I have guests sign a registration when checking in. On this slip they agree to be responsible for damages done by them and also agree for me to charge their card.
I only had to do this once when a guests dog scratched the
potty-mouth.gif
out of my red deck door and I had to re-paint.
I also get the feeling sometimes that people take my pillows. I know I have 2 soft and 2 firm pillows on the beds and at times I get 4 soft ones.....makes me think...
I guess I will mark my pillows , write on them with black marker: "STOLEN FROM XXXXXX Bed and breakfast" ( before putting them in the covers of course)

That's called theft. Send them a nice little note, the charge the replacements to their credit cards.
Here's how we worded it in our policies that every guest has to agree to before receiving a confirmation and that they receive with their confirmation:
Guests are responsible for any damages, replacement, additional cleaning or loss caused by guest smoking or other abuse to our guest cottages or property, without further authorization. Any damages done to any {our B&B} property by guests or persons visiting or staying with guests will be the responsibility of the person who made the reservation, and by your acceptance of these policies, you agree to make restitution for any such damage.

I have one thing to say about guests bringing bedding from home - its the fastest way to get bedbugs at your inn. Don't allow it and then they can't mistake your pillows for theirs.

I DO have an issue with people taking your pillows and I would call them and nicely say that you just noticed they left their pillows and took yours "by mistake"
However I do not have an issue with people traveling with their own pillows because if you read some stats about bacteria you will find that even our very clean, very frequently replaced, covered with pillow protectors and frequently washed pillow cases probably still have them, and most people prefer their own bacteria than someone else's ...
In addition, the most wanted thing when people are not in their own beds is a good night's sleep and if they sleep better with their own pillow well then we all have happier guests in the morning .. and we all like happy guests
To say they are probably bringing bedbugs in is wrong because they are probably more "clean conscious" than others .. unless they have of course just come back from a camping trip where they slept in the tent in the woods ....

On topic, yet slightly off topic- we went away for a few days last month. Stayed in a hotel (no comments, please :) ) and their pillows were TERRIBLE. I mean AWFUL. So bad that after the first night, I had to go to the nearest Target and buy myself a pillow for the rest of the nights we were there.
Yes, some people sleep better on their own pillows- had I known how bad theirs were, I most certainly would have brought my own...

I DO have an issue with people taking your pillows and I would call them and nicely say that you just noticed they left their pillows and took yours "by mistake"
However I do not have an issue with people traveling with their own pillows because if you read some stats about bacteria you will find that even our very clean, very frequently replaced, covered with pillow protectors and frequently washed pillow cases probably still have them, and most people prefer their own bacteria than someone else's ...
In addition, the most wanted thing when people are not in their own beds is a good night's sleep and if they sleep better with their own pillow well then we all have happier guests in the morning .. and we all like happy guests
To say they are probably bringing bedbugs in is wrong because they are probably more "clean conscious" than others .. unless they have of course just come back from a camping trip where they slept in the tent in the woods .....
agoodman said:
...To say they are probably bringing bedbugs in is wrong because they are probably more "clean conscious" than others .. unless they have of course just come back from a camping trip where they slept in the tent in the woods ....
Sorry to disagree. They have taken the pillow from place to place and you just don't know about the last B&B/Hotel room they were in.
It's simple to fix, put the pillow in the dryer for 20 to 25 minutes. Freshens the pillow and cooks anything that might have been on the pillow... bedbugs can't survive and the pillow doesn't change.

On topic, yet slightly off topic- we went away for a few days last month. Stayed in a hotel (no comments, please :) ) and their pillows were TERRIBLE. I mean AWFUL. So bad that after the first night, I had to go to the nearest Target and buy myself a pillow for the rest of the nights we were there.
Yes, some people sleep better on their own pillows- had I known how bad theirs were, I most certainly would have brought my own....
Penelope said:
Yes, some people sleep better on their own pillows- had I known how bad theirs were, I most certainly would have brought my own...
Why do you say no comments? We stay at hotels, we have kids, they have pools and two beds per room. I stay at B&B's on my own, or romantic getaway with spouse, not with kids typically. Only a couple B&B's of innmates have the girls been to, and they are B&B kids, so know the protocol. "Let them eat continental" cereal in little boxes, orange juice machines...that is what my girls dig!
wink_smile.gif

Yes, some people sleep better on their own pillows- had I known how bad theirs were, I most certainly would have brought my own....
Penelope said:
Why do you say no comments? We stay at hotels, we have kids, they have pools and two beds per room. I stay at B&B's on my own, or romantic getaway with spouse, not with kids typically. Only a couple B&B's of innmates have the girls been to, and they are B&B kids, so know the protocol. "Let them eat continental" cereal in little boxes, orange juice machines...that is what my girls dig!
wink_smile.gif

We stay at B&Bs sometimes and hotels other times. We are going to France and the hassle of booking has surprised us. (And we speak perfect French). Most of the B&Bs are using email to do bookings or telephone. And then they want you to send them money with paypal, and pay their paypal fees. We have Euros, so we want to pay in cash. The hotels will hold our CC and let us pay cash.... so we are doing hotels instead.
We considered renting an apartment in Paris to save money and then I realized... I'm on vacation, I don't want to do any of that! I'm paying the extra for a hotel so someone else can clean the room, make the bed, etc. (And we don't take breakfast at the hotel. I can manage to walk over to the patisserie and buy my own fresh croissant.)

Penelope said:
wink_smile.gif

We stay at B&Bs sometimes and hotels other times. We are going to France and the hassle of booking has surprised us. (And we speak perfect French). Most of the B&Bs are using email to do bookings or telephone. And then they want you to send them money with paypal, and pay their paypal fees. We have Euros, so we want to pay in cash. The hotels will hold our CC and let us pay cash.... so we are doing hotels instead.
We considered renting an apartment in Paris to save money and then I realized... I'm on vacation, I don't want to do any of that! I'm paying the extra for a hotel so someone else can clean the room, make the bed, etc. (And we don't take breakfast at the hotel. I can manage to walk over to the patisserie and buy my own fresh croissant.)
Chocolate croissants. I'm back in Paris just thinking about it.

Penelope said:
wink_smile.gif

Chocolatine.jpg
Were they shaped like crescents? If they weren't, they are actually called pain au chocolate or (locally around here) chocolatine .
Personally, I don't like dark chocolate. When we bake them and there are left overs, I open them and dump out the chocolate... leaving the chocolate in the sink.

Penelope said:
wink_smile.gif

Chocolatine.jpg
Were they shaped like crescents? If they weren't, they are actually called pain au chocolate or (locally around here) chocolatine .
Personally, I don't like dark chocolate. When we bake them and there are left overs, I open them and dump out the chocolate... leaving the chocolate in the sink.
Some like your picture and some like a usual crescent, depended on the city. I remember needing a gallon of water afterwards.

Penelope said:
wink_smile.gif

Chocolatine.jpg
Some like your picture and some like a usual crescent, depended on the city. I remember needing a gallon of water afterwards.
Around here they are mostly like the picture and callec Chocolatine
My personal favourite are those with almond paste (pate d'amande), which you might think is marzipan, but is actually frangipane. Marzipan in French is Massepain.
20070920_kouignamann13.jpg
Ever had a kouign amann? I told our guest about the bakery (the one and only) that makes them around here... and they brought one back form. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

Penelope said:
wink_smile.gif

Chocolatine.jpg
My personal favourite are those with almond paste (pate d'amande), which you might think is marzipan, but is actually frangipane. Marzipan in French is Massepain.
Ever had a kouign amann? I told our guest about the bakery (the one and only) that makes them around here... and they brought one back form. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
There was a bakery down the street from our hotel in Paris. There was a confection called (if I can get it right) Religeuse that looked fabulous. First I was afraid that the looks may be better than the taste (as I have experienced a few times) and second it was 3.95 E and when I computed that, with my .66 E on the $1 US, I decided it will be a haunting memory.

Back