Another (SHOCKING?) side of the t a review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
I stayed at a place a few weeks ago. One woman pointedly said to the innkeeper on checking IN ... 'Your place is wonderful! I'm going to place a great review on t a for you'.
It was obvious to me that the innkeeper was very attentive toward this guest while I was there. The guest looked at me and asked if I had a question. I told her I used to run an inn and guests usually told me they were going to give me a great review as they were checking OUT.
She happily told me this was a little trick she learned and that she does this 'all the time' ... often ending up with freebies in her room like wine and cheese, free tickets to area events or gets free upgrades to a better room. She does it in hotels and restaurants. Very smug about the whole thing. I asked her if she does post the reviews and she said 'oh yes ... I have posted HUNDREDS.'
It's like the kind of guest who tells you they want a refund or they'll post a bad review ... except in reverse.
Thinking about this, I wondered if I would have been more solicitous of a guest I knew would post a review; if I'd have been seriously annoyed at this little blackmail approach; or if I'd treat her just the same.
Has a guest ever done this to you?

Thankfully, no. I would not know how to treat a guest better than I treat guests now. I guess all I would do is say thank you and hope she did write it. I already do the fresh flower, fruit basket, and dish of chocolates. Not much more I could do anyway.

If they expect anything different from me by mentioning TA, it doesn't work. We treat all our guests the same. I'm sure that if we did treat one differently, we would get a comment about that. Or worse, they would mention that we treated them to something.
Prices in our city basically double or triple for certain events. While we increase our rate as well, we also provide certain amenities that are different during this period. On TA one guest mentioned that we had fresh flowers for the event and thought that it was a nice amenity that we should have all the time. But then gave us 3/5 for value because the prices were higher for the event. Well... I can't afford to put fresh flowers in the room and not increase my prices... so it's got to be one of the two.

When we get a comment like this on the way in the door we know we're in for trouble. How can they know your place is wonderful when they're only 2 steps in the door? Clearly "emotional blackmailers", and you're going to get a lot less attention from me than you normally would have because I'm going to avoid doing something WRONG that you'll write about!
Plus, these types of people are always incredibly high maintenance and act like they're doing you a favor by being here. It's so pathetic, do they really have so little going on in their life that getting a free something/anything is the highlight of their day? Sad. We are busy with wonderful guests who are truly appreciative, no time for these kind of manipulations.

Thankfully, no. I would not know how to treat a guest better than I treat guests now. I guess all I would do is say thank you and hope she did write it. I already do the fresh flower, fruit basket, and dish of chocolates. Not much more I could do anyway..
gillumhouse said:
I would not know how to treat a guest better than I treat guests now.
Wow, THAT'S the answer! Beautiful.

Nope but I would not treat the guest any differently. I still consider it blackmail.
RIki

95% of the guests who say they'll post a review never do. If I had one that said that on entry I'd thank her and treat her no differently than anyone else. Do I LOOK like I just fell off the turnip truck?

what is "shocking" is that im not even slightly surprised, plus at least she follows through on her part of the bargain and does the review!

It's amazing how devious and manipulating some people are. Sad.....very sad.
I would treat them like everyone else, but the difference would be that I would have to fake being nice to them since I would be resenting the situation.

Oh brother is she trying to work the system. Too bad people fall for it. We treated all our guests the same way and I don't care what she said she wouldn't be getting anything special out of me.I would be so tempted to call her what she is ....a blackmailer!!!!

I treat all guests the same regardless. Some book or check in saying the found us on TA or that they read all the good reviews (maybe these are all hints?). Well big WOOP, if this is what they are after, I will never get a review from them because I am not going to do any more for one guest over another, you get what you pay for here and I believe I provide a very good value!
Rant over!
embaressed_smile.gif

It's like tipping the valet when you leave your car with him, or tipping the maitre d' when you are seated. Although it probably does result in extra attention, it should be unnecessary in a well-run inn and most probably makes no difference in that type of establishment.

Back