Another Top 10 List- The Good Side

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Just figured we could use some balance, so here's my top 10 list for the nice things guests do:
  • Tip the housekeeper.
  • Make small talk with the housekeeper. (Amazing how many guests think the housekeeper is part of the furniture. Oops, that was a peeve. Sorry.)
  • Bring their dishes to the kitchen when that is totally unexpected and unnecessary.
  • Thank us.
  • Leave positive reviews and better still come back with their friends and family.
  • Treat our house better than they treat their own.
  • Get into the spirit of a B&B and chat with other guests.
  • Share their lives with us.
  • Bring us homemade gifts. (Very unexpected and so much fun when it happens.)
  • Understand that we're a family, not just the owners of a business.
There are so many more wonderful things guests do. Have at it!

Good call! Here are my Top 10 Nice Things Guests Do:
1) Book because of and then bring treats/toys for our dog. This Christmas has been an absolute bonanza for our sweet girl...she deserves it!
2) READ the policies WHILE they are making their reservation and let us know right then and there that they will arrive late or have a dietary need...THANK YOU!
3) Tip the housekeepers...especially when they are only staying one night. Makes my girls' day when they write little thank-you notes as well.
4) Purchase our logo mugs/magnets/coasters/ornaments...it makes me happy that they will think of their stay here fondly when they use those items.
5) This should have been number 1, but refer friends/family and come back frequently...there really is no greater compliment.
6) Turn off lights in the common areas when it is late and they know they are the last ones up...this and replacing any furniture/stuff they might have moved for their use.
7) I love when people write a friendly note in the guest journal...I especially like when they list their recommendations for the area for the next set of people.
8) When they say "Wow, how do you ever get away? A place this big must be so much work"...THANK YOU for noticing that the place doesn't run itself!
9) When they go out of their way to thank us for our help/knowledge and recognize that what they received here they probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere else.
10) When they compliment our breakfast and ask for the recipe...makes me happy they enjoyed their meal.

Yes, those nice comments in the journals are wonderful! It's fun when other guests say, 'I loved reading the journal, how old is your dog? We didn't even know you had one.' Or they ask questions about something another guest wrote. Some guests are very funny and leave inside jokes in the journals.

one that makes me smile is our two single rooms are not ensuite (they are private bathroom) but they are a very good price for this reason. But my point is when I can I upgrade as it is less work to do an ensuite room and it is appreciated. When I am checking them in they say Oh so where is my bathroom? So I know they have actually read what they have booked! and I san say I have given you a compliamentary upgrade.

Okay was not sure to put this on the good side, the bad side or the ugly (tom tom debacle) side.
Guests were surprised that we live here since we have the check in times listed on the website and then after reg check in times there will be a note for self check in. I told them about the tom tom debacle which they understand and found very funny.
Next - ready for this, standing in the dining room she says "I cannot believe how clean that chandelier is!" I stopped talking and said "What did you just say? Really? You noticed? I spent all day on Sunday after Christmas cleaning it crystal by crystal!" I then said "I already love you, you are my favorite guests of the entire year!"
(This photo does not do it justice, it is shimmering)
lrg_chandelier.JPG

Okay was not sure to put this on the good side, the bad side or the ugly (tom tom debacle) side.
Guests were surprised that we live here since we have the check in times listed on the website and then after reg check in times there will be a note for self check in. I told them about the tom tom debacle which they understand and found very funny.
Next - ready for this, standing in the dining room she says "I cannot believe how clean that chandelier is!" I stopped talking and said "What did you just say? Really? You noticed? I spent all day on Sunday after Christmas cleaning it crystal by crystal!" I then said "I already love you, you are my favorite guests of the entire year!"
lrg_chandelier.JPG
I am going to bet this was the birthday lady and that would explain why you thought enough of her to go ALL OUT to make her BD special. I would too!

lrg_chandelier.JPG
It is shimmering! What did you use to clean it?

lrg_chandelier.JPG
I am going to bet this was the birthday lady and that would explain why you thought enough of her to go ALL OUT to make her BD special. I would too!
gillumhouse said:
Nope. New guests who just rolled in.

lrg_chandelier.JPG
Don Draper said:
liquid dish washing detergent. warm water. I tested to make sure they would not get fuzzy or foggy and it worked like a charm.

lrg_chandelier.JPG
Don Draper said:
liquid dish washing detergent. warm water. I tested to make sure they would not get fuzzy or foggy and it worked like a charm.
Wow, so you did you take the whole thing apart??? Daunting!!!

I spoke with the curator at ripley castle statley home and she told me they do their crystal chandalers in the dishwasher!

Back