Answer a question on FB, get spammed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I answered one of those Travel & Leisure mag questions on FB and 10 minutes later I had an email on FB telling me I could win a trip to their hotel. NOT in the location I had said I'd like to go for a weekend, BTW.

That has been happening to me on Trip advicer - every time I look up a place to check out some reviews, I get an email telling me what deals they have for that place. Can't I just be nosy?
I have become very careful about allowing applications on Facebook. It is a buggy site, anyway, and I don't think the apps are very well policed.

Was it an app? You have to be so careful with those - using them basically gives them permission to access your profile...which means they also get who all your friends are...I avoid hem like the plague - even went back to my profile and discovered I'd given permission to a whole bunch I don't even remember. Got rid of all of them.
I am even careful now which fan pages I "like" (join). There are too many people out there using sympathetic causes for their own agenda.

That has been happening to me on Trip advicer - every time I look up a place to check out some reviews, I get an email telling me what deals they have for that place. Can't I just be nosy?
I have become very careful about allowing applications on Facebook. It is a buggy site, anyway, and I don't think the apps are very well policed..
I used to get those emails from TA, too. I think I turned something off so I don't get them anymore. I do still get the pop up tho, with plane fares from where my ISP is located to where I'm located. Interesting thought...
The other thing on FB wasn't an app. It was a post from T&L on where you might want to go. I just added a comment to their post.

Was it an app? You have to be so careful with those - using them basically gives them permission to access your profile...which means they also get who all your friends are...I avoid hem like the plague - even went back to my profile and discovered I'd given permission to a whole bunch I don't even remember. Got rid of all of them.
I am even careful now which fan pages I "like" (join). There are too many people out there using sympathetic causes for their own agenda..
I didn't even 'like' a page, but I commented on someone who did and I started having the group show up on my wall. What the heck. If I wanted to join the group, I would, I was just chuckling with a friend about a group she joined.

I am even careful now which fan pages I "like" (join). There are too many people out there using sympathetic causes for their own agenda..
I didn't even 'like' a page, but I commented on someone who did and I started having the group show up on my wall. What the heck. If I wanted to join the group, I would, I was just chuckling with a friend about a group she joined.
I noticed that FB has made a sneaky (IMO) opinon lately. Used to be, a FB friend would join a page, and it would post in my news feed, and I could comment on it, or click like - and clicking like jsut showed that I liked that the friend had joined the page. Well, now, not only no more space to comment, but if you click like...then YOU have joined the page. Sneaky. I don't "like" it.

I noticed that FB has made a sneaky (IMO) opinon lately. Used to be, a FB friend would join a page, and it would post in my news feed, and I could comment on it, or click like - and clicking like jsut showed that I liked that the friend had joined the page. Well, now, not only no more space to comment, but if you click like...then YOU have joined the page. Sneaky. I don't "like" it.
That's what happened! I was going to comment, but no comment box so I thought, 'OK, I can just click 'like.' Nope, I had to go delete my 'like' and now hope that the page is gone, too.

Several of my FB friends commented that they also had a lot of apps that they had not allowed show up in their app list. To remove any apps you do not wish to have access to your profile go to Account, then Application Settings then you can X out the ones you want to get rid of.
There for a while I was getting plenty of spam from these applications... I Xed out a lot of apps, some I had never allowed in the first place.

Several of my FB friends commented that they also had a lot of apps that they had not allowed show up in their app list. To remove any apps you do not wish to have access to your profile go to Account, then Application Settings then you can X out the ones you want to get rid of.
There for a while I was getting plenty of spam from these applications... I Xed out a lot of apps, some I had never allowed in the first place.
Thanks for the info! I went in and deleted several.

I don't get where I can say I don't want apps accessing my data (if your friends all want you to 'do this! it's fun!) All I see is a box saying you have blocked these apps (and nothing is in there). How do I block all of those dopey apps from accessing my list of friends whne a friend decides to add me to the list when they play 'what decade should you live in?' Or some such. Can't you just 'block all?'

I don't get where I can say I don't want apps accessing my data (if your friends all want you to 'do this! it's fun!) All I see is a box saying you have blocked these apps (and nothing is in there). How do I block all of those dopey apps from accessing my list of friends whne a friend decides to add me to the list when they play 'what decade should you live in?' Or some such. Can't you just 'block all?'
I don't think that is an option...
sad_smile.gif

Back