Any Advice?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Ok...I will totally switch gears here now.
Just got the results from my MRI.....torn rotator cuff...2 places....3 months of physical therapy and cortisone shot only provided temporary relief.
So what do I do now???? Surgery or not??? I think yes, but will not jump into this.
This is my worst nightmare...not being able to do anything because I am right handed:-( not talking housework..but vain me...doing my hair and makeup
cry_smile.gif

Has anyone else here experienced this problem? The Dr. I saw only does "Open Surgery". For me...not what I want.
I am now going to see someone who will do this arthroscopically instead and then decide.

So sorry to hear that. Well, you can continue the conservative treatment but it will just abate your symptoms temporarily. The torn rotator cuff can only be repaired with surgery :-( I'd wait until I heard more about the arthroscopic procedure to see if they can do it by that approach. The less invasive the better, I think. IF you get someone experienced with that method. {{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I am a physical therapist and I would recommend getting the surgery and then following the surgeon's and the PT's instructions to the LETTER after the surgery. Plan on 6 weeks where you can't carry anything much, but you will be working like crazy to get your motion back and wanting to do your hair/makeup will be a great motivator!!!
Rotator cuff pain is miserable, it radiates and just aches all the time, the surgical pain will be more sharp and localized, and will be gone after a few weeks. So if you have the time to do it you will feel ALL better when you are done, and back to all your regular activities.
If the tears are in an area that can be fixed arthroscopically I would definitely go that route.

I know two people who have had the surgery....and both are so glad they did!

My husband had that surgery about 1 year ago. He had therapy for 3 months. Still has not reached full return but can do most things. Totally glad he did it.

I am a physical therapist and I would recommend getting the surgery and then following the surgeon's and the PT's instructions to the LETTER after the surgery. Plan on 6 weeks where you can't carry anything much, but you will be working like crazy to get your motion back and wanting to do your hair/makeup will be a great motivator!!!
Rotator cuff pain is miserable, it radiates and just aches all the time, the surgical pain will be more sharp and localized, and will be gone after a few weeks. So if you have the time to do it you will feel ALL better when you are done, and back to all your regular activities.
If the tears are in an area that can be fixed arthroscopically I would definitely go that route..
Absolutely, the post-op PT follow-up is critical. You can have your DH take care of things while you recuperate and do your therapy!
We have a lot of Physical Therapists and RNs on this forum! I wonder why?? ;-)

If the tears are in an area that can be fixed arthroscopically I would definitely go that route..
Absolutely, the post-op PT follow-up is critical. You can have your DH take care of things while you recuperate and do your therapy!
Oh I would be a good PT patient. I had a wonderful PT the past 3 months trying to help me fix this...I was a good patient and to this day I still do my "exercises" every day in the hopes it would help...but it hasn't :-( Yes he will take good care of me..just as I did of him when he had surgery.

Oh I would be a good PT patient. I had a wonderful PT the past 3 months trying to help me fix this...I was a good patient and to this day I still do my "exercises" every day in the hopes it would help...but it hasn't :-( Yes he will take good care of me..just as I did of him when he had surgery.
I know your DH will take good care of you. But you have to remember not to do too much ;-)

I do not have experience with your condition, but I have had my right hand out of commission and at first it does seem scary when you realize just how much you do with your primary hand, but it really is amazing how quick you adjust to it, and start using your left hand all the time. You will be a bit clumsy at first, but will get the hang of it ;)

I thought I was going to be facing the same thing this past year, thought the pain would never go away, but I was fortunate and there were no tears. But, what I did do is to check to see if the closest teaching hospital was covered under my insurance and it was. I went for a second opinion there for just the cost of a co-payment and it was the best money I'd ever spent. Honestly, even if I had had to pay straight up for the consultation, I would have done it for the peace of mind.

I thought I was going to be facing the same thing this past year, thought the pain would never go away, but I was fortunate and there were no tears. But, what I did do is to check to see if the closest teaching hospital was covered under my insurance and it was. I went for a second opinion there for just the cost of a co-payment and it was the best money I'd ever spent. Honestly, even if I had had to pay straight up for the consultation, I would have done it for the peace of mind..
That is what I am doing...this coming week. I have an appt with another surgeon for a second opinion. Once the DR. told me she did "open surgery" rather than arthroscopic...I was out of there. Of course, if the second opinion tells me that is the only way it can be done..then I will reconsider.

I thought I was going to be facing the same thing this past year, thought the pain would never go away, but I was fortunate and there were no tears. But, what I did do is to check to see if the closest teaching hospital was covered under my insurance and it was. I went for a second opinion there for just the cost of a co-payment and it was the best money I'd ever spent. Honestly, even if I had had to pay straight up for the consultation, I would have done it for the peace of mind..
That is what I am doing...this coming week. I have an appt with another surgeon for a second opinion. Once the DR. told me she did "open surgery" rather than arthroscopic...I was out of there. Of course, if the second opinion tells me that is the only way it can be done..then I will reconsider.
What did you find out??

What did you find out??
The second surgeon says...yes, let's do it arthroscopically. Of course there will still be pain and still be the long recuperation time, but says it is usually not as bad as open surgery. Says I still have good muscle strength and range of motion and that is a good thing. The tears are not terrible and he said I could probably go without surgery if I wanted to continue in pain...and it will probably get worse. So just waiting on the insurance company to precertify everything then we will schedule it.

I had one knee scoped twice, a neck injury and I just have to say, find a doc you can trust, let him/her do their thing then the rehab is all up to you - don't rehab and suffer a somewhat successfull proceedure. Go for it like the dickens and you'll heal up great, maybe even better than before! No pain, no gain!!! Plan to work hard. It will all be good
regular_smile.gif

What did you find out??
The second surgeon says...yes, let's do it arthroscopically. Of course there will still be pain and still be the long recuperation time, but says it is usually not as bad as open surgery. Says I still have good muscle strength and range of motion and that is a good thing. The tears are not terrible and he said I could probably go without surgery if I wanted to continue in pain...and it will probably get worse. So just waiting on the insurance company to precertify everything then we will schedule it.
Keep us posted on the outcome. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you find relief.

Back