Any guest comments about egg recall?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little off topic, but do guests actually care whether eggs are from a local farm versus the local Martin's or Kroger?.
StonehengeBNB said:
A little off topic, but do guests actually care whether eggs are from a local farm versus the local Martin's or Kroger?
Yes! The way the eggs look when cooked, the way they 'puff up' so much better, it all works to the benefit of the food quality. Oh, yeah, and the way they taste!

That all sounds great.....
If you have local.......that's the way to go
personaly.....I love local products.......remember one trip to Montreal to visit sisters friend.....we went west to the country to a dairy farm......had cheese curds.........Awesome......chewing the cheese was like chewing a rubberband, it squeeked..........so good.
I'm always finding something new to try.....whether in the stores or online......Not long ago for dads birthday I had ordered Crawfish......(crawfish idea was from a discussion in a thread here)......last time I had ordered crawfish....3 years ago?
Found a very nice French cheese at Costco.......Costco has an Irish cheese.....I keep in the house all the time
Oh gawd..........I had better find a B&B in a foodie area :)

A little off topic, but do guests actually care whether eggs are from a local farm versus the local Martin's or Kroger?.
It might depend on where you're located. I think there's a rising trend that is good for B&B folks to tap into the organic, cage-free egg thing. It isn't easy to get local eggs here.

It might depend on where you're located. I think there's a rising trend that is good for B&B folks to tap into the organic, cage-free egg thing. It isn't easy to get local eggs here.
Samster said:
Here we are so lucky - we have so many wonderful farms and specialty foodies that even the better restaurants are serving local. I don't worry to see if it's organic - just like to use fresh and local.
RIki

Oh yes, they love it. It's part of the "country" experience for our guests. The eggs are white, tan, brown, greenish and blueish and they look so pretty on the counter in a bowl while I'm cooking. Our kitchen is wide open and I get a lot of guests who like to see a cooking demo. They love the eggs! Can't taste the difference unless it's an individual egg fried up or poached, but fresh eggs do taste better.

Oh yes, they love it. It's part of the "country" experience for our guests. The eggs are white, tan, brown, greenish and blueish and they look so pretty on the counter in a bowl while I'm cooking. Our kitchen is wide open and I get a lot of guests who like to see a cooking demo. They love the eggs! Can't taste the difference unless it's an individual egg fried up or poached, but fresh eggs do taste better.
The different colors are one of the best parts. Having fresh eggs that don't need refrigeration and CAN be displayed is another boon.

I could get eggs locally @ $2 per dozen or @ the grocery for $1. I do not do anything other than baked or scrambled (hard) so not even thinking about it. With the sour cream, cheeses, and herbs, I doubt if any of my guests could really tell the difference.
It is like a friend of my first husband who refused to eat instant mashed potatioes. After dinner at our house, I asked how was dinner? Great. How were the potatoes? They were great! Good because they were instant mashed.

Samster said:
Here we are so lucky - we have so many wonderful farms and specialty foodies that even the better restaurants are serving local. I don't worry to see if it's organic - just like to use fresh and local.
RIki
I can get organic free-range eggs here in the local food markets, but they are not from local farms. I was able to get some things from local farms but not much. We used to have a huge State run farmers' market nearby but that gradually dwindled to just a stand or two by the time we moved here and it's been gone now for a few years. :-(

Samster said:
RIki
I can get organic free-range eggs here in the local food markets, but they are not from local farms. I was able to get some things from local farms but not much. We used to have a huge State run farmers' market nearby but that gradually dwindled to just a stand or two by the time we moved here and it's been gone now for a few years. :-(

Back