Any guest comments about egg recall?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i have begun a side business (baked goods) and negotiating for rented commercial kitchen space and supplies. the talk suddenly veered off to the egg recall and possible food poisoning and how much liability insurance would i be carrying ... all the while they were devouring my banana bread and talking about being sued if i poisoned someone. (ironic, no?) i'm not the one who brought this up ... it is the vendor/landlords.
got me to wondering ...
have you had any guests seem not to want eggs or have you not served them because you are concerned or maybe you have even had some of the eggs affected by the recall? have any guests voiced any concern?

No one has mentioned it. We're lucky enough to get eggs delivered fresh every week from a closed flock at a local farm. The news headlines are focusing on what a boon this is for small egg farmers.

i get mine from a local grower with free range chickens and they're super fresh. I do wash them and let them dry before cracking them open. No worries here because the guests can see they did not come from the store.

I had a pregnant woman this week who really didn't take more than a bite or two of her quiche, stating she doesn't care much for eggs. She didn't mention this when booking.

I think they said the outbreak is limited to 2 farms in Iowa. And if you are serving something with eggs completely cooked, it should not be a problem. No over easy eggs. At least that is what Dr. Besser said on ABC news last night.

I think they said the outbreak is limited to 2 farms in Iowa. And if you are serving something with eggs completely cooked, it should not be a problem. No over easy eggs. At least that is what Dr. Besser said on ABC news last night..
catlady said:
I think they said the outbreak is limited to 2 farms in Iowa. And if you are serving something with eggs completely cooked, it should not be a problem. No over easy eggs. At least that is what Dr. Besser said on ABC news last night.
CL, the outbreak is from the two farms, but the eggs were sent all over. Here in Ohio, in my county, there have been eggs affected by the recall.

I actually bring it up since I'm sick of the government trying to make all our small farms go through all kinds of extra expense to ensure their products are "safe" when it's always the giant farms causing all the health problems like these giant egg producers.
I tell them that their eggs are safe since they come from a local woman and her 60 "ladies", and they love it!
RIki

I think they said the outbreak is limited to 2 farms in Iowa. And if you are serving something with eggs completely cooked, it should not be a problem. No over easy eggs. At least that is what Dr. Besser said on ABC news last night..
catlady said:
CL, the outbreak is from the two farms, but the eggs were sent all over. Here in Ohio, in my county, there have been eggs affected by the recall.
Oh yes, I realize that. None of them were shipped here to VA from what I have heard anyway. Do you remember the CROTON EGG FARM fiasco in Ohio several years ago?? That was a real nightmare. Glad they shut them down for sure. If people really saw the conditions on some of these monster egg farms, they would never want to eat eggs again :-(

catlady said:
Oh yes, I realize that. None of them were shipped here to VA from what I have heard anyway. Do you remember the CROTON EGG FARM fiasco in Ohio several years ago?? That was a real nightmare. Glad they shut them down for sure. If people really saw the conditions on some of these monster egg farms, they would never want to eat eggs again :-(
catlady said:
That was a real nightmare. Glad they shut them down for sure. If people really saw the conditions on some of these monster egg farms, they would never want to eat eggs again :-(
Don't I know it! I'm so glad I have my own chickens. My own steer. My own pigs. My own garden, fruit, and apples. GIves me more peace than I care to think about.
That Croton fiasco still haunts that area. The whole county (Croton county) has never recovered from it. Land prices are dirt cheap (no pun intended) and housing prices are shameful. It's very sad.

A little off topic, but do guests actually care whether eggs are from a local farm versus the local Martin's or Kroger?

A little off topic, but do guests actually care whether eggs are from a local farm versus the local Martin's or Kroger?.
StonehengeBNB said:
A little off topic, but do guests actually care whether eggs are from a local farm versus the local Martin's or Kroger?
Absolutely. When you are cooking with fresh local eggs the color is fantastic and the results more tasty. And we have so many local specialty farms in our area it's a shame not to use them. We use local pork sausage, local bacon and eggs. Cheese. It costs a little bit more but the guests love it.
Riki

A little off topic, but do guests actually care whether eggs are from a local farm versus the local Martin's or Kroger?.
Probably not...but some innkeepers take pride is saying that they use as much local food and produce as possible.

"I would drive 500 hundred miles..."
Yeah part of our b&B marketing is sharing what we do and how we do it if applicable, if you offer locally grown fruits, veg, meats and eggs then tell about it!
Organic is huge and people love it! In fact in Virginia they are featuring "Farmer's Markets" on many of the tourism blogs/websites/marketing. They even had a contest asking people to send in their favorite farmer's market colorful images that they will feature in ads.

StonehengeBNB said:
Absolutely. When you are cooking with fresh local eggs the color is fantastic and the results more tasty. And we have so many local specialty farms in our area it's a shame not to use them. We use local pork sausage, local bacon and eggs. Cheese. It costs a little bit more but the guests love it.
Riki
egoodell said:
Absolutely. When you are cooking with fresh local eggs the color is fantastic and the results more tasty.
I just listened to a story on the Splendid Table about egg tasting. In the blind taste test this person did, they actually could not detect any differences in taste between home-laid eggs, organic eggs, and the regular old supermarket eggs. I still get mine from a local farmer, and you can certainly tell by the yolk color. I thought that was interesting.
Buying local is a good enough reason to do it, and salmonella scares from the factory farms make it even more of a good idea.

Yeah part of our b&B marketing is sharing what we do and how we do it if applicable, if you offer locally grown fruits, veg, meats and eggs then tell about it!
Organic is huge and people love it! In fact in Virginia they are featuring "Farmer's Markets" on many of the tourism blogs/websites/marketing. They even had a contest asking people to send in their favorite farmer's market colorful images that they will feature in ads..
They can absolutely taste the difference between our breakfast meats and eggs and what you get from Krogers, etc. If you shop where they are shopping, you're serving them nothing new. They end up going to the farmer's market to see the farmers whose breakfast they are eating. It's very big here, but maybe Charlottesville is more of a "foodie" town than Richmond is?
Riki

Organic is huge and people love it! In fact in Virginia they are featuring "Farmer's Markets" on many of the tourism blogs/websites/marketing. They even had a contest asking people to send in their favorite farmer's market colorful images that they will feature in ads..
They can absolutely taste the difference between our breakfast meats and eggs and what you get from Krogers, etc. If you shop where they are shopping, you're serving them nothing new. They end up going to the farmer's market to see the farmers whose breakfast they are eating. It's very big here, but maybe Charlottesville is more of a "foodie" town than Richmond is?
Riki
Sorry I bought some "handmade local" Sweet Italian sausge yesterday....sorry people in this area don't have a clue what real ITalian tastes like :-(
I am not buying it again. Even though I do love this butcher's fresh cut meats. Johnsville Sweet Italian sausage is WAY better.

Riki
Sorry I bought some "handmade local" Sweet Italian sausge yesterday....sorry people in this area don't have a clue what real ITalian tastes like :-(
I am not buying it again. Even though I do love this butcher's fresh cut meats. Johnsville Sweet Italian sausage is WAY better.
catlady said:
we have a KILLER farm just south of us that does fantastic slightly spicy breakfast sausage.
RIki

Back