Any questions you wish you'd thought to ask when Inn shopping?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also ask about all the web site rights and all the stuff connected to that (Swirt is better to ask) but I remember when a big hotel I worked for sold it was a complete pain to get it all transfered.
What competition is there in the area? anything that competes directly with you? or is it very different accomodation providers?
What is the neighbourhood like? is conductive to B&B guests? also any problems or trouble with the neighbours? ie should you wish to develop?
I forget who it is who has apauling neighbours so it is something to consider. Also proximity to neighbours I have trouble with my next door neighbours guests sitting out on her balcony at night talking as the sound really travels so wakes me/my guests up.
Local things that attract people ie college graduation/ town events are there any town event web sites to get an idea from?

I do know from reading the forums that you'll need a list and photograph everything that will be staying with the inn. There are some that arrived to take over and found even light bulbs gone, and instead of the carpeting and furniture that was supposed to be there, found cheap replacements.
I think what most recommend is once you have decided on an inn to request a walk through and take a video camera so you can video and have their voice confirming what all will be staying with the inn.
And as we see with Morticia's post, a list of valid gift certificates still out!
RIki

Also make sure the zoning is covered - just because it is a B & B NOW does not mean it can be a B & B if sold. When we adopted zoning in my City, anything already there was grandfathered in BUT could not remain as such if sold without a variance or conditional use permit if it was a non-conforming use.

Back