any suggestions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can increase income and not increase occ. Have you check into that?

You can increase income and not increase occ. Have you check into that?.
Ice said:
You can increase income and not increase occ. Have you check into that?
yes, Saturday, I just started looking at other nearby lodging rates. They have all raised their rates.

the decision, of course, is up to you. i say ... Leave that other job. take a leap of faith ... in yourself.
when you are able to market your place, devote yourself to it full time, i am willing to bet you can increase bookings.
can you/will you/do you want to host events ... workshops ... dinners and teas?
by the way ... raising your rates even a little can make a big difference in the long run. do the math. is a $10 per room increase across the board reasonable? competitive? would it stop people from booking? i am sorry i don't know how many rooms you have. but if you multiply that $10 per room by the number of bookings in an average week, where will you be financially? is $15 a room too much of a jump?
also ...
is there any way you can use your expertise 'on the side' without being tied to that place that puts you in danger? if you DEPEND on that paycheck and it doesn't get deposited (again you say) then you are not truly benefiting from that job.
best of luck ... keep in touch with us.

Sunshine when I had my B&B I always had to keep a 2nd job, and in a similar situation to you, it started getting tougher as the reduced our pay as there were so many people out there willing to work for less. I worked from home for several customers doing customer service ("real" work at home as opposed to "stuffing envelopes" or "processing payments" bogus jobs. Although I now have another job still working from home (and no longer have the B&B), I would be more than happy to give you some info on the "real" work from home companies that are out there, although be forewarned that pay is now around $8-12/hr, and for most companies you are an independent contractor with no benefits. I am sure with your family therapy experience you will be able to find something better ... but in case you want any info just message me. (FYI these are not multi level schemes, I have nothing to do with any of the companies any more and do not get a referral fee or anything else)

Personal safety first, keeping your house next! Since you are selling, increasing yr occupation helps both ways.
Are there any corporations nearby that have frequently overnight guests (customers, staff meetings, trainings, temporary assignments) ? Visit the businesses in person, find out what they need, invite them to your place and make them an offer they can't refuse. Make sure you get the rooms (minimum number of nights before they get the discount) and you get them in yr low season. Good luck!

The others have said it very well: Your safety is paramount to you, your family, and loved ones. Do the rest of your soul searching and crunch the numbers on how you can increase your revenue stream to make the leap to throwing yourself into innkeeping super full-time...the answer will be there for you & your family. Best of luck!

Back