Anyone charge a late arrival fee?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have many late, late night check-ins, but we have TONS that never read their confirmation to know that check-in is 2-6 pm, and they think nothing of getting into town, having a full day, eating dinner and arriving here at 8 pm. Our first season here we waited for every single one of them and the burnout was just too much...we begin every day at 5:30 AM, by 6 pm we deserve to be done and to have some quiet time for ourselves and to eat our dinner without keeping one ear cocked to the phone or the doorbell. People just don't get this, they figure "It's your house, you'll be there won't you?"
I have absolutely no problems with people arriving after check-in time, it's just getting them to understand that they need to INFORM you that they will be late.
Last year our policy said check-in 2-6 pm, late check-ins must be pre-arranged by 5 pm on on the day you are arriving or else incur a $25 fee. That worked pretty well but was a lot to read, so now it just says check-in 2-6 pm, late arrivals must be pre-arranged and will incur a $25 fee. I have NEVER charged the fee...it's just a "scare tactic" to get them to give you a heads-up if they are going to be late. It's that whole "common courtesy" is not common, you have to give them a reason to let you know they're running late.
As with most policies, it penalizes the guests who are truly thoughtful...they call very worried that they will get charged, etc. But they were going to call you to tell you they'd be late anyway. When they call I make arrangements with them and tell them we will not charge any fee and to relax and take their time getting here. I make sure they have directions and then I leave them a note.
Now, do I still sit here and sweat and worry that they got in ok? Absolutely...and that's my issue and I'm working on it.
regular_smile.gif
We have had late arrivals who have driven right past our house to go to dinner because the had a reservation for 7 PM at the restaurant and 'didn't want to be late for dinner.'
So, I get to wait up until 11 PM for them? Their reasoning was they KNEW someone would let them in at the B&B but they would lose their reservation at the restaurant.
I let them in. In my pajamas. And none too happy about it. No call, nothing. Why? Because we HAVE to be there, right? No, not right. How many B&B's have owners who leave at night? A lot more than I ever thought!

Because we're small we tell people that our check-ins are by appointment, what time will you be arriving? Sometimes there are missed flights and traffic, but it works well and the vast majority of my guests call if they're running late. The only miserable check-in we've had so far was booked by a lady who said the guy would be here mid-afternoon. When he showed up at 9 p.m. I was very unhappy.
So, now I know that for third party bookings to either get ahold of them myself or be prepared for them to show up when the whim takes them.
=)
Kk.

I don't charge a fee. Stuff happens that is often out of people's control (late flight, unexpected traffic jam, for example) and I can't see punishing them for that. Besides, they're on vacation, and I don't want to spoil the start of their vacation with some extra fee they didn't expect. When they plan their next vacation, they'll likely remember that and perhaps book a hotel, instead, where they can arrive as late as they want provided their room was guaranteed wth a credit card. If someone charged me a fee for arriving late at the beginning of my vacation, I would not go back there next time. I have, however, had the good fortune of those arriving late to call me and say so and keeping me in the loop on their expected arrival time. If it's real late, I leave the door unlocked and I will hear them when they come in. At that point, I get up, show them where their room is, how the important stuff works (bathroom and air conditioning), and then go back to bed. It takes only a few minutes of my time, and I view situations like that as just part of the territory that comes with this job.

Because we're small we tell people that our check-ins are by appointment, what time will you be arriving? Sometimes there are missed flights and traffic, but it works well and the vast majority of my guests call if they're running late. The only miserable check-in we've had so far was booked by a lady who said the guy would be here mid-afternoon. When he showed up at 9 p.m. I was very unhappy.
So, now I know that for third party bookings to either get ahold of them myself or be prepared for them to show up when the whim takes them.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
My check in is very close to yours and works very well. We say check in is between 3 and 7 about what time should I expect you? If they say their flight doesn't arrive until 7 - that is not a problem, I'll expect you sometime around 8-9 then. (which gives them time to get their bags, rental car and not really rush to get here). They also feel like I have done them a favor. And always say, if you are running late (or flight delayed) a quick call to give me heads up would be much appreciated. That works 95% of the time. For confirmations by email where guest has not provided any check in, I request as above and state that by having an approx time of arrival, we are able to plan our day which may include a trip out to the grocery. (This helps reduce those 'pop in early guests - as I have informed them in a sly way that we have a life too.)
YS - yes I have made that revolution as well about 3rd party bookings. If I have one, I know that it may be a late night!

I wait up and there is no late fee. I want them to be quiet going to their room if there are other guests so I ask/tell the important stuff on the porch and then lead them to their room quietly.

I just read these policies on an inn page who charges $42, $52, $57, $67...for an average room:
LATE CHECK-IN is not available. You will be considered a NO-SHOW if you have not called or checked in prior to 9pm.
WALK-INS are accepted until 9 pm.
LATE CHECK-OUTs will be charged $10 per hour, with the first charge occurring at 11:01 am. To avoid these charges you must have your belongings out of the room and the key turned in prior to 11 am.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 30, 0)]
[/COLOR]

Junie_B_Jones,
This is a very interesting topic and thanks for bringing it up. Many great responses and ideas on how to combat what is obviously a problem for nearly all of us.
I can't imagine though that the folks enforcing the policy you just posted aren't turning off some folks. As stated by others, stuff happens and as frustrating as the late arrivals are, we just try to remember that we're in the "people" business by choice and we have to accept all the vagaries that go along with that if we intend to stay in business for the long haul.
Especially in this economy.
Unless the B&B you got that policy from is in a recession proof, very high occupancy rate area or doesn't need the money, I'd love to be a fly on the wall listening to how they tactfully enforce it and then not get bashed on TripAdvisor, lose guests, etc.. over it.
Especially if the guest had a legitimate reason like a flight delay, bad weather, accident en route, medical emergency, etc. to deal with.
We've printed our policy on the map and directions sent to every guest, its on our website, the confirmation slip and online email confirmation letter, its on the listing details on every directory website we're listed on, etc. but it does happen to a few times for what I'd consider inconsideration reasons and not a legitimate delay.
I explain it this way to everybody who books over the phone or we have any communications with. "Our property is 4.5 acres and from our living quarters, the main house blocks our view of the parking area. We really want to greet you, help with your bags and make sure you get settled in comfortably, so if you can give us a call when you're an hour or so from here, we'll be waiting in the reception room for you."
For returning guests who are delayed, I'll arrange a key with them because they've been "trained" to know that this isn't a party house and that they are being trusted to quietly get in their room and not disturb others. For first time guests though, especially third party bookings or anyone I get a funny vibe from over the phone or in emails, I'd rather lose some sleep and make sure they get in quietly and guarantee that no other guests are negatively impacted.
I probably have more issues with the really early arrivers, who "were in the neighborhood" and didn't think it would be a problem to not call and show up when it was good for them. Ignoring of course that the rooms don't magically clean themselves, groceries don't get air delivered by flocks of birds, lawns and gardens are tended to in the middle of the night by elves, etc. LOL

Even if the cause was out of the guest's control like a delayed flight, etc.?.
It depends on the circumstances. We've only ever had one delayed flight guest, they actually weren't even booked with us, until after the flight was delayed at 11 pm and they called and needed a room and couldn't get to their next stop that night. Our local airport closes at 10pm...most of the flights are in by 7:30. The train is in by 4:30, so if they are late, it's usually because the decided to stop in Aspen and SHOP. I'm not kidding. AND it's usually guests from a certain BandB directory, because they weren't informed of our policies through the fourth party booking agent that booked them.
We just love getting the calls after check -in, "we're just leaving town" (which is usually Denver- 4 hours away)
Uh, you knew check-in was 4-6pm, that'll be $25! (It's on our website and all over every contact/ confirmation we send...)
Most of our guests show up on time and are courteous enough to call when they can't make it, so it doesn't happen very often.
The reason we charge is, we are the only staff, we have children and when guests show up after 6 and we've been "on" since 6AM, that is our family time and we ain't giving it up for PITAS! If they don't like it....
Swirt, we need a PITA shooting gallery arcade game here on the forum.
tounge_smile.gif

That doesn't seem unreasonable at all when you describe it that way, your justification ofr having it and explained the types doing it most of the time.

It depends on the circumstances. We've only ever had one delayed flight guest, they actually weren't even booked with us, until after the flight was delayed at 11 pm and they called and needed a room and couldn't get to their next stop that night. Our local airport closes at 10pm...most of the flights are in by 7:30. The train is in by 4:30, so if they are late, it's usually because the decided to stop in Aspen and SHOP. I'm not kidding. AND it's usually guests from a certain BandB directory, because they weren't informed of our policies through the fourth party booking agent that booked them.
We just love getting the calls after check -in, "we're just leaving town" (which is usually Denver- 4 hours away)
Uh, you knew check-in was 4-6pm, that'll be $25! (It's on our website and all over every contact/ confirmation we send...)
Most of our guests show up on time and are courteous enough to call when they can't make it, so it doesn't happen very often.
The reason we charge is, we are the only staff, we have children and when guests show up after 6 and we've been "on" since 6AM, that is our family time and we ain't giving it up for PITAS! If they don't like it....
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
I second that motion!
My brother-in-law was quoting Larry David for me from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" a few years back...about "The customer is always right"...Larry says there are two major problems with this rule, namely that
1) The customer is usually a moron.
2) AND an @!*hole!
Thankfully not always...but they do have their moments...

tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
LOL I'll see if I can get the guy that designed Penguin Batting can rework it to put in tourists instead of penguins. And of course if you've had a really bad day, it is hard to beat the more gruesome version. (Disclaimer: no penguins were harmed in the creation of this game, the Yetti however does have a torn rotator cuff. This website does not endorse brutality to animals. PITA brutality however is perfectly acceptable.) ;)

Junie_B_Jones,
This is a very interesting topic and thanks for bringing it up. Many great responses and ideas on how to combat what is obviously a problem for nearly all of us.
I can't imagine though that the folks enforcing the policy you just posted aren't turning off some folks. As stated by others, stuff happens and as frustrating as the late arrivals are, we just try to remember that we're in the "people" business by choice and we have to accept all the vagaries that go along with that if we intend to stay in business for the long haul.
Especially in this economy.
Unless the B&B you got that policy from is in a recession proof, very high occupancy rate area or doesn't need the money, I'd love to be a fly on the wall listening to how they tactfully enforce it and then not get bashed on TripAdvisor, lose guests, etc.. over it.
Especially if the guest had a legitimate reason like a flight delay, bad weather, accident en route, medical emergency, etc. to deal with.
We've printed our policy on the map and directions sent to every guest, its on our website, the confirmation slip and online email confirmation letter, its on the listing details on every directory website we're listed on, etc. but it does happen to a few times for what I'd consider inconsideration reasons and not a legitimate delay.
I explain it this way to everybody who books over the phone or we have any communications with. "Our property is 4.5 acres and from our living quarters, the main house blocks our view of the parking area. We really want to greet you, help with your bags and make sure you get settled in comfortably, so if you can give us a call when you're an hour or so from here, we'll be waiting in the reception room for you."
For returning guests who are delayed, I'll arrange a key with them because they've been "trained" to know that this isn't a party house and that they are being trusted to quietly get in their room and not disturb others. For first time guests though, especially third party bookings or anyone I get a funny vibe from over the phone or in emails, I'd rather lose some sleep and make sure they get in quietly and guarantee that no other guests are negatively impacted.
I probably have more issues with the really early arrivers, who "were in the neighborhood" and didn't think it would be a problem to not call and show up when it was good for them. Ignoring of course that the rooms don't magically clean themselves, groceries don't get air delivered by flocks of birds, lawns and gardens are tended to in the middle of the night by elves, etc. LOL.
Given the prices that place was charging, it doesn't seem like they are really in a business model, more of a hobby mode. My guess would be they would rather lose the $47 than wait up for someone who is going to be late, or be generous with the checkout time. Or, they have outside jobs that require they be somewhere at a certain time so they can't deal with the laggards.
We had a B&B here (since closed) where the owner had a second, complementary business but he had to leave at 10 AM to get to it. He left one couple who were checking out that day and went off to work. They were still there when he came back at 6 PM. They had spent the day lolling around in the hot tub. No biggie, right? There was no one there, why would he care that they didn't leave on time?!

We don't charge later arrivals, that is all part of the beauty of a B&B - it is not supposed to be full or rules, but more accomodating for the guests. We certainly get tired of waiting up for guests and have things in place should they arrive after 9pm.

Question, and I truly have no preconcieved notion of what the answer will be, so .... how often does this happen? Check-in is between 3 and 6 or 7 and unfashionably late arrivals may happen from time to time through to 9. How often does the after-9 check-in happen? How often are you awakened by the person who is struggling to make it to his destination for any number of reasons?.
We get very very few LATE late arrivals; in fact, when I take a reservation over the phone and in my email confirmations, I state "Check in is anytime after 3pm, we only ask you to call us if you're going to arrive after dark so we don't start to worry". Pretty much everyone coming in after dark calls and lets us know. If they don't call me, I call them on their cellphones.
I could not imagine charging someone a fee for coming in late; most late arrivals are on Friday, and I know those people worked all day, rushed home to pack, and then drove 2-5 hours to get here (probably arguing the whole way).

No fee here but then again the only time we had a late check in was told in advance and due to the only flight route they could get.
We have the puch code entry doorlock which really helps.
I had a note ready as well with dirctions to the room, and a card with their name tied on the door handle so they would not be afraid of picking the wrong room.
Worked fine.
Riki

We don't have many late, late night check-ins, but we have TONS that never read their confirmation to know that check-in is 2-6 pm, and they think nothing of getting into town, having a full day, eating dinner and arriving here at 8 pm. Our first season here we waited for every single one of them and the burnout was just too much...we begin every day at 5:30 AM, by 6 pm we deserve to be done and to have some quiet time for ourselves and to eat our dinner without keeping one ear cocked to the phone or the doorbell. People just don't get this, they figure "It's your house, you'll be there won't you?"
I have absolutely no problems with people arriving after check-in time, it's just getting them to understand that they need to INFORM you that they will be late.
Last year our policy said check-in 2-6 pm, late check-ins must be pre-arranged by 5 pm on on the day you are arriving or else incur a $25 fee. That worked pretty well but was a lot to read, so now it just says check-in 2-6 pm, late arrivals must be pre-arranged and will incur a $25 fee. I have NEVER charged the fee...it's just a "scare tactic" to get them to give you a heads-up if they are going to be late. It's that whole "common courtesy" is not common, you have to give them a reason to let you know they're running late.
As with most policies, it penalizes the guests who are truly thoughtful...they call very worried that they will get charged, etc. But they were going to call you to tell you they'd be late anyway. When they call I make arrangements with them and tell them we will not charge any fee and to relax and take their time getting here. I make sure they have directions and then I leave them a note.
Now, do I still sit here and sweat and worry that they got in ok? Absolutely...and that's my issue and I'm working on it.
regular_smile.gif
InnsiderInfo said:
Frankly, I wouldn't book with a B&B that charged a $25 fee even if you informed them you would be late. I know you said you've never charged it, but prospective guests don't know that. You might be losing bookings by stating your policy this way.

$25 late check in fee, it's in the confirmation and policies, which they agree to upon booking, if they show up late, we charge it and that's that.

$25 late check in fee, it's in the confirmation and policies, which they agree to upon booking, if they show up late, we charge it and that's that..
Good for you! Do you have to charge it often? Does anyone make a stink about it?

Back