Anyone doing their own availability Blog linked to their website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverspoon you response brings me to another question. If you don't want to use online res system, and the cost involved, that is another issue to the mix as well, but consider this (if you will give me a moment): Could it be possible the quality of the guests could or would change should you offer online bookings? Just think about this for a moment. I pretty much get your set up there I think, and can visualize the clientele for the most part. But would you like more overseas visitors? Just thinking about who books online vs calls, for us, those who call are usually the pitas. Now in your instance, there is no difference, as they all need to email or call.
Just food for thought on your working harder vs working smarter thoughts. I concur and think that is the best method..
Since most of our guests tend to be in the 50-60 year-old range, I don't think the technology part is as crucial as it would be if we wanted to attract a younger crowd. We like a more mature guest who is looking for a B+B experience, not just a "hotel" to use and abuse. In general the mature crowd is calmer, wiser and does not dirty as much linen!
tounge_smile.gif
Of course, those who are mature PITAs have been practicing their whole life...but fortunately we don't get too many in any one year. We do get some foreign guests, mostly from England and Germany, and, although it would be nice to have more bookings from Europe it is not worth the hassle or expense of converting our systems at this point. If we were going to go full tilt another 5 years I'd say OK and bite the bullet to upgrade. But in 5 years we hope to be renting the cottage only on a weekly basis, no breakfast or housekeeping...just enough to pay a few bills and allow us to maintain the place.
I really appreciate all the time and input you all have given on this issue and have no doubt that you are all correct about our losing business opportunities because we will not get with the technology program. Our challange is to be professional innkeepers in every other way, but to be a bit old fashioned (like us
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
Silverspoon said:
Since most of our guests tend to be in the 50-60 year-old range, I don't think the technology part is as crucial as it would be if we wanted to attract a younger crowd. We like a more mature guest who is looking for a B+B experience, not just a "hotel" to use and abuse. In general the mature crowd is calmer, wiser and does not dirty as much linen!
tounge_smile.gif
Of course, those who are mature PITAs have been practicing their whole life...but fortunately we don't get too many in any one year. We do get some foreign guests, mostly from England and Germany, and, although it would be nice to have more bookings from Europe it is not worth the hassle or expense of converting our systems at this point. If we were going to go full tilt another 5 years I'd say OK and bite the bullet to upgrade. But in 5 years we hope to be renting the cottage only on a weekly basis, no breakfast or housekeeping...just enough to pay a few bills and allow us to maintain the place.
I really appreciate all the time and input you all have given on this issue and have no doubt that you are all correct about our losing business opportunities because we will not get with the technology program. Our challange is to be professional innkeepers in every other way, but to be a bit old fashioned (like us
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
I am 59 years old and I book and research everything online. I have had plenty of folks in that age range book online. My peers here at the university do also. It is very much living in the past to think that older folk don't book onine or use email. I know grandparents who have learned email to connect with their families.
RIki

Silverspoon you response brings me to another question. If you don't want to use online res system, and the cost involved, that is another issue to the mix as well, but consider this (if you will give me a moment): Could it be possible the quality of the guests could or would change should you offer online bookings? Just think about this for a moment. I pretty much get your set up there I think, and can visualize the clientele for the most part. But would you like more overseas visitors? Just thinking about who books online vs calls, for us, those who call are usually the pitas. Now in your instance, there is no difference, as they all need to email or call.
Just food for thought on your working harder vs working smarter thoughts. I concur and think that is the best method..
tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
I am 59 years old and I book and research everything online. I have had plenty of folks in that age range book online. My peers here at the university do also. It is very much living in the past to think that older folk don't book onine or use email. I know grandparents who have learned email to connect with their families.
RIki
R I didn't know you were that age. You are so young and vibrant!

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:
Thank you - I can relate these days to my dad when he used to say "I forget how old I am until I see myself in the mirror!"
RIki

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:

I had to reread her sentence, too!!! I had her pegged for her 40s!
Back on topic- my dad had an iPhone before I did, and I'm in my 30s. He was 63 and HAD to have it. He's like a kid with all the techno-crap he loves!

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
Silverspoon said:
tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:

I had to reread her sentence, too!!! I had her pegged for her 40s!
Back on topic- my dad had an iPhone before I did, and I'm in my 30s. He was 63 and HAD to have it. He's like a kid with all the techno-crap he loves!
Aww shucks, thanks guys
riki

Hi everyone. I have to be honest with you. For many years I thought going to online reservations was not something I wanted to do. I thought I would have more control over who stayed and who I didn’t want to stay by not doing this. I finally decided I would give it a try. At that time I looked at many programs and talked with companies. I decided to go with Webervations 2.0. They needed genii pigs and I liked the fact that they were working on a program to charged cards when the customer reserved. They said it should be up and going in a few months. Three years later i’m still waiting and they now are closing up shop on 2.0. I did learn a lot from this new way of making reservations. (online reservations)
I didn’t have to carry around reservation books everywhere I went.
I no longer had to worry about a double booking.
I people could agree to our cancellation policy
I could show people packages without sounding like a car salesman
The list goes on and on.....
After the news of web 2.0 going dark, I decided now was the time to make my life even easier. I did even more research and talked to many different companies. I decided to go with Reservation Key. I know for some of you who have gone to this company know the reason why. ( I don’t need to go into details, if you don’t know why you can ask me)
I decided after losing $3800 last year on cancellations and no shows I was going to do this right! I now only take online reservations and they must pay for 1 night when booking. OH MY GOSH this is a life saver! I no longer have to have a reservation come in and then go to the computer and get their credit card number and then type it in just to find out the card declines. Then you spend a few days tracking them down to get a card that has money on it for a deposit. I will not ever find my self wasting time doing this. Everyday at 5:30 I get an email stating how many reservations and deposits I made and it batches out automatically. I didn’t have to do anything! If you are not doing this you you should be! I have also found I will have steady income for the whole year, even when we close. I can’t say this enough. If you don’t keep up with technology it will come back to haunt you. It also makes your company look more professional. I have found this new way of making reservations a life saver and I have a lot more time to spend with my family now. I just thought I would let you know what my experience has been from someone who was scared to make a change because I was set in my ways. I will also say hoping to make more reservations from having a calendar on your BLOG is not going to bring a lot of business. Think about it. When you travel do you go to a blog to look to see if the place you want to stay has rooms? Also, it could hurt your business if someone does happen to click on to your Blog and see you show something open. They call you and you tell them oh, "I'm sorry that is not open" (Ooops, you forgot to update your calendar and now you have to take a few hours to make sure it is correct) This will be a turn off for customers. If you do not have real time calenders that go with your reservation program, do not do this!

Hi everyone. I have to be honest with you. For many years I thought going to online reservations was not something I wanted to do. I thought I would have more control over who stayed and who I didn’t want to stay by not doing this. I finally decided I would give it a try. At that time I looked at many programs and talked with companies. I decided to go with Webervations 2.0. They needed genii pigs and I liked the fact that they were working on a program to charged cards when the customer reserved. They said it should be up and going in a few months. Three years later i’m still waiting and they now are closing up shop on 2.0. I did learn a lot from this new way of making reservations. (online reservations)
After the news of web 2.0 going dark, I decided now was the time to make my life even easier. I did even more research and talked to many different companies. I decided to go with Reservation Key. I know for some of you who have gone to this company know the reason why. ( I don’t need to go into details, if you don’t know why you can ask me)
I decided after losing $3800 last year on cancellations and no shows I was going to do this right! I now only take online reservations and they must pay for 1 night when booking. OH MY GOSH this is a life saver! I no longer have to have a reservation come in and then go to the computer and get their credit card number and then type it in just to find out the card declines. Then you spend a few days tracking them down to get a card that has money on it for a deposit. I will not ever find my self wasting time doing this. Everyday at 5:30 I get an email stating how many reservations and deposits I made and it batches out automatically. I didn’t have to do anything! If you are not doing this you you should be! I have also found I will have steady income for the whole year, even when we close. I can’t say this enough. If you don’t keep up with technology it will come back to haunt you. It also makes your company look more professional. I have found this new way of making reservations a life saver and I have a lot more time to spend with my family now. I just thought I would let you know what my experience has been from someone who was scared to make a change because I was set in my ways. I will also say hoping to make more reservations from having a calendar on your BLOG is not going to bring a lot of business. Think about it. When you travel do you go to a blog to look to see if the place you want to stay has rooms? Also, it could hurt your business if someone does happen to click on to your Blog and see you show something open. They call you and you tell them oh, "I'm sorry that is not open" (Ooops, you forgot to update your calendar and now you have to take a few hours to make sure it is correct) This will be a turn off for customers. If you do not have real time calenders that go with your reservation program, do not do this!.
Bob said:
... Also, it could hurt your business if someone does happen to click on to your Blog and see you show something open. They call you and you tell them oh, "I'm sorry that is not open" (Ooops, you forgot to update your calendar and now you have to take a few hours to make sure it is correct) This will be a turn off for customers. If you do not have real time calenders that go with your reservation program, do not do this!
I think the OP was just looking for idea on how to get a calendar on her site (and thought putting it on the blog was the way to go) ONLY for last minute cancellations. Not for making regular reservations, which she has said she has enough of.
I totally agree that having a real time availability calendar and booking engine is the way to go. MANY, MANY properties are still doing the 'request a reservation' route where you have to submit your top 3 choices for a room because they do not keep the calendar up to date.
We made a same-day reservation and I called later on as I did not have access to the internet where I was at the time. Innkeeper had no idea we were coming, had no rooms ready and asked us to please delay our arrival. This was a reservation request system and the innkeeper had not been checking it regularly.
We get calls all the time from guests looking at our calendar who are inquiring if it is up to date, so I know this is an issue. I even put in big, red letters on the calendar- This calendar is up to date- but we still get calls from guests who have been burned and don't believe it.

I decided after losing $3800 last year on cancellations and no shows I was going to do this right! I now only take online reservations and they must pay for 1 night when booking. OH MY GOSH this is a life saver! I no longer have to have a reservation come in and then go to the computer and get their credit card number and then type it in just to find out the card declines. Then you spend a few days tracking them down to get a card that has money on it for a deposit. I will not ever find my self wasting time doing this. Everyday at 5:30 I get an email stating how many reservations and deposits I made and it batches out automatically. I didn’t have to do anything! If you are not doing this you you should be! I have also found I will have steady income for the whole year, even when we close. I can’t say this enough. If you don’t keep up with technology it will come back to haunt you. It also makes your company look more professional. I have found this new way of making reservations a life saver and I have a lot more time to spend with my family now. I just thought I would let you know what my experience has been from someone who was scared to make a change because I was set in my ways. I will also say hoping to make more reservations from having a calendar on your BLOG is not going to bring a lot of business. Think about it. When you travel do you go to a blog to look to see if the place you want to stay has rooms? Also, it could hurt your business if someone does happen to click on to your Blog and see you show something open. They call you and you tell them oh, "I'm sorry that is not open" (Ooops, you forgot to update your calendar and now you have to take a few hours to make sure it is correct) This will be a turn off for customers. If you do not have real time calenders that go with your reservation program, do not do this!.
Thanks for the update Crystal Cove Bob. I hear ya! I think many of us (without the benefit of an online forum such as this) thought we would weed out the bad guests by speaking to them, I did it as well before taking the leap. I have found, personally, those who book online are the best guests by far.
I know many think they need to be tied to the reservation taking process, but it is like Christmas morning each and every time the bookings roll into my email (as you said) and frees up time, valuable time that belongs to me! Gosh the time, of the precious time spent listening to some person drone on and on over the phone like you have nothing else to do in a day...15-30 minutes per call was not unusual.
Best thing I ever did.

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
Silverspoon, I can certainly understand if you're adamant about not adding online reservations.
But for any aspirings out there that are reading this I have to say that I also think you're making a very huge generalization about your favored age group.
regular_smile.gif

Yep, I'm in there too and I love technology! I'm your worst travel nightmare - the guest that will immediately click off your site because you don't have online reservations. I have no patience for that in the year 2012. My quiet time is late at night and that's when I plan trips. I don't want to wait to have to call, I don't want to take the time to get caught up in a phone conversation, I want to book NOW! Also, no good photos of the rooms? Common areas? I'm outta there...
But it sounds like you are actually winding down your business rather than trying to garner higher occupancy, so you might be on the right track there.
wink_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
Silverspoon, I can certainly understand if you're adamant about not adding online reservations.
But for any aspirings out there that are reading this I have to say that I also think you're making a very huge generalization about your favored age group.
regular_smile.gif

Yep, I'm in there too and I love technology! I'm your worst travel nightmare - the guest that will immediately click off your site because you don't have online reservations. I have no patience for that in the year 2012. My quiet time is late at night and that's when I plan trips. I don't want to wait to have to call, I don't want to take the time to get caught up in a phone conversation, I want to book NOW! Also, no good photos of the rooms? Common areas? I'm outta there...
But it sounds like you are actually winding down your business rather than trying to garner higher occupancy, so you might be on the right track there.
wink_smile.gif

Samster, you have stated my situation well. And I know that potential guests of ALL ages want to make their reservations on line.(We do all the time!) My experience, however, tells me that enough people will e-mail or call for availabilty and reservations to fill us up when the season is on. So, do I spend the $$ and time to set up a whole new system for reservations for a few years worth of business? We will not try to sell as a B+B and we currently have a captive customer base because of our location. We have great reviews, Fodor's, Frommers, TA yadda, yadda....an outstanding location and 22 years of repeat customers. Nope....not going to do it.
You will have to believe me that this is not an easy decision for me to make! That "Go Get'em" energy that seems to be built into innkeepers has not passed me by. But my rational head says....not worth it. For me. At this stage of the innkeeping business. But for anyone starting out or who wants to build a business in today's world....Absolutely. Go for it!

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Samster, you have stated my situation well. And I know that potential guests of ALL ages want to make their reservations on line.(We do all the time!) My experience, however, tells me that enough people will e-mail or call for availabilty and reservations to fill us up when the season is on. So, do I spend the $$ and time to set up a whole new system for reservations for a few years worth of business? We will not try to sell as a B+B and we currently have a captive customer base because of our location. We have great reviews, Fodor's, Frommers, TA yadda, yadda....an outstanding location and 22 years of repeat customers. Nope....not going to do it.
You will have to believe me that this is not an easy decision for me to make! That "Go Get'em" energy that seems to be built into innkeepers has not passed me by. But my rational head says....not worth it. For me. At this stage of the innkeeping business. But for anyone starting out or who wants to build a business in today's world....Absolutely. Go for it!
cheers.gif

There is no better business plan than knowing your business and yourselves!

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

You do your business in the way that works for you. That is great. And, you also understand what everyone else is saying :) Whatever works best.

I have to say, I almost feel sorry for some of you. I know it's your choice but my heart goes out to all of you who do not do real time bookings. I'm going to lose sleep over you! ;) One thing that I have noticed from changing to this type of reservation process is that the customers are Higher class and they have money! I have found that they are ordering more pkgs and leaving bigger tips! Why is this? I have come to the conclusion it's because most of them are tech savy and have good paying jobs. One of our customers told me this ......They like the fact after the kids are in bed they can lay down on the couch at midnight with their iPad and look around at places to stay. They come across a place that looks nice and look to see what they have open. Oops no way to find out because they don't do online reservations......Oh they do have a form to fill out. Nope not going to waste time with that, because the last time I did that it took 3 days for a response....lets keep looking....this is when they found our site. This was a $1200 reservation. People want instant gratification now days! They don't want to wait around for an email response or a phone call just to find out you don't have what they want! You can make the choice to work harder, or work smarter. Just sayin!

I have to say, I almost feel sorry for some of you. I know it's your choice but my heart goes out to all of you who do not do real time bookings. I'm going to lose sleep over you! ;) One thing that I have noticed from changing to this type of reservation process is that the customers are Higher class and they have money! I have found that they are ordering more pkgs and leaving bigger tips! Why is this? I have come to the conclusion it's because most of them are tech savy and have good paying jobs. One of our customers told me this ......They like the fact after the kids are in bed they can lay down on the couch at midnight with their iPad and look around at places to stay. They come across a place that looks nice and look to see what they have open. Oops no way to find out because they don't do online reservations......Oh they do have a form to fill out. Nope not going to waste time with that, because the last time I did that it took 3 days for a response....lets keep looking....this is when they found our site. This was a $1200 reservation. People want instant gratification now days! They don't want to wait around for an email response or a phone call just to find out you don't have what they want! You can make the choice to work harder, or work smarter. Just sayin!
Bob said:

I have to say, I almost feel sorry for some of you. I know it's your choice but my heart goes out to all of you who do not do real time bookings. I'm going to lose sleep over you! ;)
I think a lot of innkeepers don't know there is such a thing as 'real-time'. They think every booking system works the same way theirs does.
Don't lose sleep over them. Count your blessings (and your cash!) They'll figure it out (or they won't).

a blog is like a journal or diary, it is not really for availability calendars, that is what your website is for. Every inn should have a place for a guest to check availability. I have two near me which I cannot refer guests as I cannot even tell if they have rooms open or not, ever. They don't know the business they are losing. They say they are "customer service" etc and want to speak to you. 95% of our guests want to plan and book their trip, now..
I get it. We are losing business because we do not have an availability calendar on our web site and because do we do not take bookings online. But, we do not want MORE business, we just want to stay even...which we have no problem doing as it as. When I say "even", I do not mean in $$$, I mean in # bookings. Prices went up $15/night in season this year. With a little luck we will work less and earn more. So far our antiquated systems have produced great results, probably because our location is in demand during the summer and competition in the immediate area is limited. The larger inns in the area all follow the PAII recommendations and have automated their reservation process. The small B+Bs..not so much.
We are trying not to kill ourselves with work during our exit years but to relax and enjoy the process. However, now and then we have last minute cancellations that I would like to fill...something I considered posting on a Blog linked to our web site...thus the availability calendar question.
So I know that we are not as successful as we could be...but on the other hand, we are as successful as we need to be.
Have you thought about something like twitter instead? is very good for we have had a last minute cancellation kind of stuff just make sure you have the words room and your town in the tweet.

You really are "preaching to choir" here. I would guess that about 98% of the forum mates are doing on line reservations. But for the small minority who are not....they know how we all feel about it. But hey...if it works for them...then so be it.

a blog is like a journal or diary, it is not really for availability calendars, that is what your website is for. Every inn should have a place for a guest to check availability. I have two near me which I cannot refer guests as I cannot even tell if they have rooms open or not, ever. They don't know the business they are losing. They say they are "customer service" etc and want to speak to you. 95% of our guests want to plan and book their trip, now..
I get it. We are losing business because we do not have an availability calendar on our web site and because do we do not take bookings online. But, we do not want MORE business, we just want to stay even...which we have no problem doing as it as. When I say "even", I do not mean in $$$, I mean in # bookings. Prices went up $15/night in season this year. With a little luck we will work less and earn more. So far our antiquated systems have produced great results, probably because our location is in demand during the summer and competition in the immediate area is limited. The larger inns in the area all follow the PAII recommendations and have automated their reservation process. The small B+Bs..not so much.
We are trying not to kill ourselves with work during our exit years but to relax and enjoy the process. However, now and then we have last minute cancellations that I would like to fill...something I considered posting on a Blog linked to our web site...thus the availability calendar question.
So I know that we are not as successful as we could be...but on the other hand, we are as successful as we need to be.
Have you thought about something like twitter instead? is very good for we have had a last minute cancellation kind of stuff just make sure you have the words room and your town in the tweet.
Well unless someone is following you on twitter...what good is it to post a vacancy? It only reaches those who follow you. I am still not convinced twitter does any good. sorry.

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

I think that if you have some kind of decent availability calendar that is up-to-date on your website, that it would be better than nothing and you can do that for very little cost, if any. And, it might help you out a bit as you step back from your business over the next however many years until you close.
Using an online reservation/guest management software program saved my bacon when I had the inn. I would have been pulling my hair out if I had to answer all those phone calls with everything else I had to do! We easily had 90% of our guests book online, but I also had a book online incentive. I only had one component of my business that might call for reservations and that was the university. But usually even they would email me with all the details of what they needed.
I didn't even mention that as a guest not taking credit cards would be a bigger road block for me. Sorry...but as we travel more and more, I like getting my miles!
regular_smile.gif

If you're making the $$$ you want, working as hard as you want, then you've got it figured out!

tounge_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
) in our reservations.
regular_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
All you need is Availability Online. Manage the bookings as you always do. First year the $175 fee is half if you are member of Paii. But for a measly $175 to have online booking is SO worth not having to spend time on the phone. You are right that the big booking/management ones are expensive - around $80 a month. So just go to Availaiblity or Reservation Key to just get the calendar and the booking side of it - don't bother with the management side.
You will waste more time trying to put a calendar up on your own. They will do it for you.
Riki

You really are "preaching to choir" here. I would guess that about 98% of the forum mates are doing on line reservations. But for the small minority who are not....they know how we all feel about it. But hey...if it works for them...then so be it.
I should just shut my mouth. If they change their ways it means less money for me! You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink!

Back