Anyone done a mobile website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
I just set up a mobile version of my website. For those thinking about doing this, know that what you end up with is the "Cliff Notes" version of your regular website.
What I'm having an issue with are my links to ResKey and to my Guest Reviews widget on B&B.com, neither of which have mobile versions. I'm going to rip the content from the Guest Review page and create a non-dynamic review page that's formatted for a mobile page, but I'm stymied as what to do about ResKey.
I'm using GoMobi and it doesn't recognize embedded javascript or data generated outside my domain.

The new ResKey mobile version works GREAT for me. Totally optimized for phones.I've been on it about 2 months. Nothing extra to do. If they click the make reservation link on a desktop/laptop, they get the desktop version. If they click the same link from a phone, they get the mobile version.

The new ResKey mobile version works GREAT for me. Totally optimized for phones.I've been on it about 2 months. Nothing extra to do. If they click the make reservation link on a desktop/laptop, they get the desktop version. If they click the same link from a phone, they get the mobile version..
Arkansawyer said:
The new ResKey mobile version works GREAT for me. Totally optimized for phones.I've been on it about 2 months.
Where do you link to that?

Give me a minute and I'll find the instructions. You have some very simple steps to activate in ResKey to make it work.

It was discussed here in March. This link takes you to the comment with the instructions, but you might want to read that whole thread.
https://www.innspiring.com/node/12746#comment-136010.
Arkansawyer said:
It was discussed here in March. This link takes you to the comment with the instructions, but you might want to read that whole thread.
https://www.innspiring.com/node/12746#comment-136010
Thanks!
thumbs_up.gif

I've been playing around with with my secondary 1and1 website, trying to figure out if I want to spend (or invest, whatever) bigger bucks for a fancier template, hosting package, etc. I'm not sure if this is "typical", but it appears that the 1and1 "mobile" option merely compresses the website into a narrower vertical format. I'm also baffled that the 1and1 uses a Flash slideshow, yet mobile apps are allergic to Flash. I just don't get it. You'd expect the techno-geeks to think through these things.
I would also expect that a completely separate template would be made available to a customer in order to best operate within the mobile OS platform(s). Flash player is an issue. Certainly, a booking button would have some issues too, depending on the platform it is built on. Right now, our website is Buuteeq-based (primary) and 1and1 (secondary) using the Buuteeq rez sytem. Still sorting through the details...

I was just in RESKEY yesterday and you can select a mobile set up /link I didn't read it closely but there are options.

Our website is done with a template that adjusts and the reservation software is also supposed to give you a better version when on mobile. Though, I still want to sit down with a programmer and tell him how to set up the reservation process, so that guests can VISUALLY see where in the process they are.

I personally hate mobile sites. I use an iPhone for a lot of my everyday business. When ever a site has a mobile site I click off of it ASAP. They are horrible. It's like a watered down version of the site and I want full strength.

I personally hate mobile sites. I use an iPhone for a lot of my everyday business. When ever a site has a mobile site I click off of it ASAP. They are horrible. It's like a watered down version of the site and I want full strength..
Bob said:
I personally hate mobile sites. I use an iPhone for a lot of my everyday business. When ever a site has a mobile site I click off of it ASAP. They are horrible. It's like a watered down version of the site and I want full strength.
I agree. I almost never like the mobile version. I'd rather have the full version. One exception is ResKey, where the single column version optimized for the phone really IS much easier to use to make a reservation, compared to the full screen width desktop version.

Back