Anyone else experiencing low numbers for January?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
We've been in a deep freeze on and off for the past month. I'm seriously starting to believe it's affecting our reservations. We are normally slow this time of year and don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the down time, but not even our weekends are getting to 50%. This is way down from last year. Tonight we have one room and it's a gift certificate! :( I hate heating our huge great room for one guest. Luckily each room we have has it's own thermostat so the rooms can be turned down if no one is using them. I guess on the up side if we were really busy our fuel oil would be going down much quicker than it already is. Just checking in to see how January is shaping up for all of you.

Getting the same thing here. Was heading for 0% occupancy in January, had a couple of bookings now but still pretty quiet even for this time of the year.

I'm dying out here. It's been horrible!
It's hard to enjoy the down time when I'm worried about this trend.

My January was normal - my accountant for 2 nights while he does taxes for a local business. THEN I got a horse rez and thought I had died and gone to heaven.. After I offered all my empty rooms to a local family for their family funeral, I got a 2 week rez (and the family ended up needing the other 2 after all - but they were on me as my original offer was). The 2 week rez is unusual and a huge blessing. Feb is also usually dead - I have 2 reservations, one is for 2-rooms for 1 night and the other is the one I am taking bets will be cancelled as he is hoping for a vow renewal instead of a divorce hearing the next day.
We are in another wave of deep freeze (single digits predicted for most of this week) and we are now up to about 14-16 inches of snow and it is still snowing big flakes. ALL 55 counties cancelled school 3 days last week and one day 6 had school and the last day 8 of them had school. We have many counties that have only one high school and one middle school in the entire county and it is dangerous for the buses to be on the roads. Plus the temps have been so cold, they cannot have the kids standing waiting for the bus. We expect the school situation to be the same this week as last.

I'd wager a bet that most people are DOWN this time of year..as especially this time of year..unless you are in a SKI area and maybe not even then. Things have just been too cold and snowy crazy for thinking about travel.
I am content to stay here in front of my computer:)

I'm in a very busy tourist town and I am way off this year so far! Not looking good! I'm hoping its just the weather.

Very slow here, except for the Chicago snowbirds who moved in for a month! Without them I'd have had almost nobody, but things have picked up in the last week, with reservations for February, so fingers are crossed.
One that just kills me: yesterday afternoon a woman called needing to stay here each of the next 5 Mondays (one night only...in town on business). A couple of hours later I got a ResKey Waiting List Request from a guy who wanted 8 consecutive nights and I couldn't give it to him because the woman has taken the Monday nights! So rather than getting paid for 8 nights and only have to clean the place after they leave, I get paid for 5 nights and have to clean the place 5 times!
sad_smile.gif
Ah, gotta love this business!
The statistics show the economy is slowly improving, but all the business people here are crying that business is slow and nobody is spending. I guess the tax refund checks will start going out soon, and that may help.

My numbers don't count, we're closed, but my competition seems to be pretty busy every weekend and many have 1-2 rooms during the week. I'd say it's actually been better than usual. Especially last weekend with the holiday.

My numbers don't count, we're closed, but my competition seems to be pretty busy every weekend and many have 1-2 rooms during the week. I'd say it's actually been better than usual. Especially last weekend with the holiday..
Madeleine said:
My numbers don't count, we're closed, but my competition seems to be pretty busy every weekend and many have 1-2 rooms during the week. I'd say it's actually been better than usual. Especially last weekend with the holiday.
So any regrets about being closed?

Very slow here on the Gulf Coast also. Partially my own fault - I try to hold on to that two night minimum stay on the weekends all year long. Sometimes it works - this year it didn't. It's a chance I take. I've lost several one nighters this month because of it.

As someone else said, it makes the down time hard to enjoy because we're worrying about how slow it is. We'll all be fine :)

My numbers don't count, we're closed, but my competition seems to be pretty busy every weekend and many have 1-2 rooms during the week. I'd say it's actually been better than usual. Especially last weekend with the holiday..
Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
[h2]
ZERO.[/h2]

Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
[h2]
ZERO.[/h2]
I am sooooo with you on that!!!
thumbs_up.gif

Very slow here on the Gulf Coast also. Partially my own fault - I try to hold on to that two night minimum stay on the weekends all year long. Sometimes it works - this year it didn't. It's a chance I take. I've lost several one nighters this month because of it.

As someone else said, it makes the down time hard to enjoy because we're worrying about how slow it is. We'll all be fine :).
We are at the golf coast now. Man it is cold. You would never believe it but you are colder then where we come from in Canada. I was speaking to some one here that told me her shop is really slow . Wonder where all the snowbirds were? I thought she was talking about Canadians. No she was talking about the northern states. She said her business is really low this winter.

Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
[h2]
ZERO.[/h2]
thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
thumbs_up.gif
I put down the paintbrush today after a month of painting 3 rooms. (Each room has required 3-4 coats of paint!) Going to put the house back together, do all the little details and then go away for a few days before guests arrive in Feb.
Putting the house back together is probably a 3-4 day project by itself!
I have some small touch up painting tasks but I am done with the painting until after valentines day when I start up again on the last room and the hallway.

Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
[h2]
ZERO.[/h2]
thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
thumbs_up.gif
I put down the paintbrush today after a month of painting 3 rooms. (Each room has required 3-4 coats of paint!) Going to put the house back together, do all the little details and then go away for a few days before guests arrive in Feb.
I have some small touch up painting tasks but I am done with the painting until after valentines day when I start up again on the last room and the hallway.
Wow, that's some pigment deficient paint. I've never have to do more than 2 coats. Then again, I use paint with built in primer so that I can touch up anytime. You putting down a very dark colour? Change or colour? Big end brand?

kind of slow here, but January is usually slow, although the snow and he freeze has left many home-this cold does not make it easy.
K-I always look at the weather in WV-I heard its been the longest freeze WV has experienced in 25 years? I remember the snow of 2009-2010, I had never seen so much snow in my life for such a long time, I don't think we saw the grass till April....

Very slow here, except for the Chicago snowbirds who moved in for a month! Without them I'd have had almost nobody, but things have picked up in the last week, with reservations for February, so fingers are crossed.
One that just kills me: yesterday afternoon a woman called needing to stay here each of the next 5 Mondays (one night only...in town on business). A couple of hours later I got a ResKey Waiting List Request from a guy who wanted 8 consecutive nights and I couldn't give it to him because the woman has taken the Monday nights! So rather than getting paid for 8 nights and only have to clean the place after they leave, I get paid for 5 nights and have to clean the place 5 times!
sad_smile.gif
Ah, gotta love this business!
The statistics show the economy is slowly improving, but all the business people here are crying that business is slow and nobody is spending. I guess the tax refund checks will start going out soon, and that may help..
You spit feathers when this happens!
Weve got an annual event which blockes up 8th and 9th Aug and Ive been blocked out for about 6 - 12 night bookings because of taking it last year! grrr
Weve been up but its a combination of factors which won't likely happen again
(1) Bigga Golf show - it has a big year every other year (this is the big year) and its their 25th anniversary so its been massive
(2) family day for the army base - its where they take 16 year olds and is more like a military high school so all the mums and dads come to visit.
(3) - Small Animals show is on its 10th Anniversary (its crufts for bunnies and guinnie pigs and hamsters etc)
(4) - other properties decided to stay shut a bit longer so took some of their regulars.
(5) Christmas and Gift show people took a larger stand so took 9 chaps 3 days to get it up and 2 days to get it down

Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
[h2]
ZERO.[/h2]
thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
thumbs_up.gif
Wow, that's some pigment deficient paint. I've never have to do more than 2 coats. Then again, I use paint with built in primer so that I can touch up anytime. You putting down a very dark colour? Change or colour? Big end brand?
Sugar Bear said:
The dark colors covered bare walls in 2 coats. It's the cream color that is taking 4 coats. Walls were papered so are extremely dry and also full of paper primer which is a sickly green color. We washed the walls 2x but the guy at the big name paint store said I should have primed (he said that Monday, I have painted 5 rooms so far, so a little too late on the info). I have one room left. It's not going to be this cream!

Back