Anyone else have a dockside B&B on a yacht?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I registered on the other site and then read that most of the activity had moved over here, so here I am. I run a dockside B&B from a charteryacht in Miami (her name is "Sanctuary") when we’re not booked on a regular out-on-the-water charter. I am very much enjoying reading all that you folks have to share. I’m curious, though...am I the only one here who does the B&B from a yacht, or are there more these kinds of innkeepers here?
I wish I had more hours in the day to catch up on all that's been posted. It is quite enlightening to read of others' experiences in this business. I am learning a lot from all of you. Thanks for sharing.

There is another innkeeper who has a boat but I don't know if she's migrated over here yet. 'Welcome aboard,' if you'll pardon the nautical term from a landlubber!

I have a B&B near a river, but that doesn't count. I'd like to be on your yacht B&B right about NOW!! Welcome!
ps...I was born in Miami.

We stayed at one once in my hometown of San Francisco. Don't know if they are still in operation or not.
Riki

Welcome!
There was a B&B on a boat in the NW and another in Australia. They hadn't been on this new forum to my knowledge (but this is only brand new, so maybe they will find us here!)
How long have you been a dockside B&B?

Thanks for the warm welcome.
We had our first B&B guests back in June of 2007 for a trial run. We discounted the rate up front because we didn’t have the boat quite where we wanted her to be in terms of remodeling, and still scrambling at the last minute, but these folks really wanted to be on boat, so we obliged. I was still replacing a big, heavy pump for one of the toilets just two hours before guests arrived. Our guests at that time were some folks who were in town shopping for a Hatteras yacht of their own and contemplating a move to Miami. Everything went smoothly after their arrival.
The yacht made her official debut at full capacity in February of 2008 during the Miami Boat Show with a couple of substantial glitches, none of which ultimately affected the guests. Everything has been running smoothly ever since.

We had our first B&B guests back in June of 2007 for a trial run. We discounted the rate up front because we didn’t have the boat quite where we wanted her to be in terms of remodeling, and still scrambling at the last minute, but these folks really wanted to be on boat, so we obliged. I was still replacing a big, heavy pump for one of the toilets just two hours before guests arrived. Our guests at that time were some folks who were in town shopping for a Hatteras yacht of their own and contemplating a move to Miami. Everything went smoothly after their arrival.
The yacht made her official debut at full capacity in February of 2008 during the Miami Boat Show with a couple of substantial glitches, none of which ultimately affected the guests. Everything has been running smoothly ever since..
Of course I have to ask, what do you charge to take them out? Or is that not an option, they must remain dockside?
If you have a website and wish to post it on here, feel free. Some post it on here and some don't.

The yacht made her official debut at full capacity in February of 2008 during the Miami Boat Show with a couple of substantial glitches, none of which ultimately affected the guests. Everything has been running smoothly ever since..
Of course I have to ask, what do you charge to take them out? Or is that not an option, they must remain dockside?
If you have a website and wish to post it on here, feel free. Some post it on here and some don't.
Dockside B&B is a separate service from a day, weekend, or full week charter out on the water cruising the Florida coast or the Biscayne Bay. Day trips range from $1,950 for a half day (12 passengers max) to $2,950 for a full day (12 passengers max). A full week runs around $16,000/week for six passengers. While these prices appear high at first glance, remember, they include fuel, captain, crew, and some charters include food and beverage, but not meals taken ashore at restaurants. The engines alone burn anywhere from 12 to 50 gallons of diesel an hour depending on our speed, while the generator burns 2 to 3 gallons of diesel an hour, 24/hours a day. With the economy in the toilet, B&B makes for a nice filler between charters which are becoming a little more sparse these days. For the Europeans, this is still a fantastic deal given the value of the dollar to the euro. And while we are shocked to be paying over $5.00/gallon for fuel, it’s still nearly half what the Europeans are used to paying. It costs us nearly $4,000 to fill our fuel tanks and that figure is climbing every day.
In contrast, dockside B&B is, however, quite reasonable for the average traveler visiting the Miami area.
Still, I am very passionate about both aspects of the services we offer and really do enjoy every bit of it, even the hard, labor-intensive aspects of keeping up a vessel of this size and complexity. I wear all kinds of hats...hostess, chef, first mate, maid, engineer, mechanic, dock hand, social director, etc. which make for very long days a lot of times. It is a labor of love that I truly enjoy.
www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com
I am working on some package pricing for some of our half and full day sails and when I finish that, our captain will giving our website a complete make-over using the content I have drafted.
Ang

Dockside B&B is a separate service from a day, weekend, or full week charter out on the water cruising the Florida coast or the Biscayne Bay. Day trips range from $1,950 for a half day (12 passengers max) to $2,950 for a full day (12 passengers max). A full week runs around $16,000/week for six passengers. While these prices appear high at first glance, remember, they include fuel, captain, crew, and some charters include food and beverage, but not meals taken ashore at restaurants. The engines alone burn anywhere from 12 to 50 gallons of diesel an hour depending on our speed, while the generator burns 2 to 3 gallons of diesel an hour, 24/hours a day. With the economy in the toilet, B&B makes for a nice filler between charters which are becoming a little more sparse these days. For the Europeans, this is still a fantastic deal given the value of the dollar to the euro. And while we are shocked to be paying over $5.00/gallon for fuel, it’s still nearly half what the Europeans are used to paying. It costs us nearly $4,000 to fill our fuel tanks and that figure is climbing every day.
In contrast, dockside B&B is, however, quite reasonable for the average traveler visiting the Miami area.
Still, I am very passionate about both aspects of the services we offer and really do enjoy every bit of it, even the hard, labor-intensive aspects of keeping up a vessel of this size and complexity. I wear all kinds of hats...hostess, chef, first mate, maid, engineer, mechanic, dock hand, social director, etc. which make for very long days a lot of times. It is a labor of love that I truly enjoy.
www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com
I am working on some package pricing for some of our half and full day sails and when I finish that, our captain will giving our website a complete make-over using the content I have drafted.
Ang
I was in Key Biscayne in Feb. Actually went to Homestead to check it out while we were in FLA and stopped off there for a look around.
I was wondering if you were filling in between charters. Saves FUEL!

Back