Anyone else slow this midweek holiday?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else is slow this midweek holiday for the 4th of July? We have been really busy over the weekend until yesterday, but tonight and tomorrow night it has slowed right down to only a few rooms Tues and Weds, then right back to being busy on Thursday....

Yes. Slow for the 4th, no doubt due to it being on a Wednesday, too far from Saturday to make it into a long weekend-type holiday. I'd say a lot of people will just take the one mid-week day off work this year, then back to work Thursday, so won't be traveling.

We are NEVER busy over the 4th! We are not a beach or destination B&B, so at most we have one nighters traveling to and fro to those locations. In fact, in 9 years no one has been here to enjoy the huge fireworks show from our corner (3 doors away) the whole town parks lawn chairs up and down the street (including us) and we just have a blast! Ne'r a guest has seen it, nor enjoyed it. Plus a huge festival to go along with it, live music and fun (Independence festival)
We also have another one over the water at our lake, with boats galore, and it is incredible, ne'r a guest here to enjoy that one.
My logic is people are with family over these holidays, picnics, bbq's etc, not B&B's, for the most part.

We are a little busier than usual for a midweek 4th of July, but we have play previews starting Wednesday for a theater festival which has drawn record ticket sales in the last year, and the town had a writeup in the July issue of Washingtonian magazine. On the downside, we've had people recovering from the storm and many still without power. The state issued a 'boil water' advisory for the entire state, which doesn't help those of us who never lost power and don't have to boil water. Most folks coming this week have called to see what's up.

We do not usually have 4th of July bookings. It is as JB said, family, beach, etc
I also did not lose power or anything else. My city did a water conservation request, but the water plant was back in operation and filling tanks again in less than 24 hours - before our storage tanks got low.

Relatively speaking it is always slower for the 4th when it is midweek. At least here anyway.
I have just printed out 10 pages of things to do for our guests for the next 5 days covering the major events within a 20 minute drive. 5 towns.

We've been busier than usual. We normally don't have Sunday, Mon, Tues night stays, but we've had them this week. And the ones that were going to leave today (after one night) asked to stay a second, so that's great. No rooms to clean today =)

Molasses slow..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Now I see us getting into a molasses vs. maple syrup discussion.
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
Cambs will make a pitch now for marmalade.

Molasses slow..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
I would have expected treacle

Molasses slow..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
nope I don't like marmalade! Weve had a weird week here - obviously we don't celebrate US independance day as a national holiday - though we do have a large american base and they have a super party. We have just picked up lots of rooms ie 2 for 4 nights 2 more last night all of which have to be out by 7am and no breakfast which is great!
And like I always say it aint like Im alergic to money!

Molasses slow..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
nope I don't like marmalade! Weve had a weird week here - obviously we don't celebrate US independance day as a national holiday - though we do have a large american base and they have a super party. We have just picked up lots of rooms ie 2 for 4 nights 2 more last night all of which have to be out by 7am and no breakfast which is great!
Gettings lots of 1-nighters this year. Normally we'd turn them away, but after a very slow start to the year we've not done so this year.
Speaking to friends last night who said the same, and said a neighbour of theirs who has a 2 night min. stay rule has lots of vacancies where they are booked.
It's a lot of extra work, but............

Molasses slow..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Molasses slow.
Sorghum.
Gettings lots of 1-nighters this year. Normally we'd turn them away, but after a very slow start to the year we've not done so this year.
Speaking to friends last night who said the same, and said a neighbour of theirs who has a 2 night min. stay rule has lots of vacancies where they are booked.
It's a lot of extra work, but............
We have an alumni reunion in 2 weeks. So far no bookings. this morning had a call for a one-night on that Friday asking how early they could check in and how late they could check out. I told her with a one night normal times. I told her we have an all-school reunion that weekend and they tend to wait until the last minute to make sure they are going to be alive to come - so if she wanted early check-in/late check-out it would have to be a 2-night reservation. She booked the 2 nights.
I have always taken the one-nights as I get a lot of traveling through.

We are slow in summer but usually pick up around the 4th due to a festival in big city near us. We usually get those that are NOT visiting the fest, just happen to be traveling through and get sticker shock in the big city.
Since it is that type of business, normally we are getting emails/calls within the last week, to the day of, but it is really slow this year. Only two late res. so far for this week and a couple others that booked earlier but all one nighters.
With the festival running through the weekend we will see what if anything happens but I am not expecting much so anything will be good!!!
Stay cool, drink lots of water - it's a hot one! Happy 4th!!!

Getting a lot of one-nighter's in one cottage only. S-L-O-O-O-W.
we've been lucky and picked up a bunch of builders to keep us ticking over till we are full friday for the next 3 weeks and I need the rest!

Back