Anyone else watching their diet while serving up daily yummy goodness?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm proud of you PollyAnna - it is tough. I had a health scare in late June and have since lost 20 pounds - with another 10 to go.
My "problem" is different from yours. Luckily I've never liked sweet things - in fact I've had to MAKE myself eat something in the morning and try and get my blood sugars responding better.
My motivation is how much better I feel and the fact I can get back in some, but not yet all, of my old clothes. The single biggest help has been the elliptical machine we now have in the OQ. As I mentioned before, I've spent a lot of the summer making sure I've put aside some time for myself and that now includes an (almost) daily session on The Machine.
The other thing that really helped me was making a big "cosmetic" change - I cut off all my hair and I'm loving it. I personally needed that super obvious change from the old to the new.
Stick with it. NEVER blast yourself if you fall of the wagon, just look back at how far you've come..
The Tipsy Butler said:
Stick with it. NEVER blast yourself if you fall of the wagon, just look back at how far you've come.
My mom is recovering from a total knee replacement right now. (One down, one more to go...) I was talking with her and her PT on Tuesday and her PT said that we all have good days and bad days. Our good days are just that: good. Our bad days can be more than bad. They can make us go backwards. I told my mom not to let her bad days make her go backwards. Just take them as they come and consciously KNOW that one bad day in a week is not the end of anything. LIfe keeps going forward no matter what.
I heard someone say, "Humans are lazy by nature. Keep growing and going and soon everyone else will succumb to their laziness and you'll win by default." I like that. It's true.

Pollyanna said:
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who wants some mutual weight loss support. I am astounded at myself over my newfound willpower. ... So, anyone else can't eat what they serve? Please share coping strategies!
YES!! ME!!!
I've lost 20 pounds since dh left in May. Well, some of it I lost right away because I was on the phone constantly and didn't want to talk in front of my kids. But really, first I bought some clothes. And my sister said she'd give me some sandals if I painted my nails (which I did and have kept nice since). Then I bought some shoes. Then a purse. Then some jewelry to go with the clothes. Then I got my haircut. Then a makeover. Then I cleaned out my own room, including vacuuming behind the dressers. There's nothing left on my transformation but to lose the weight!
In September I joined a locally sponsored "biggest loser" contest and have been writing down what I eat every day. However, this past week I haven't done as well and I gained two pounds. I am NOT happy about it and ready to be gung ho again. I know that what I need is exercise, but between being totally swamped, and my heels hurting, and the fact that I cannot leave the ds6x2 home alone... it's been difficult to get enough (although I am getting more than before!).
Like you, I'm kind of amazed at the things I'm not eating. I love sugar and carbs in every form. But I have been very careful with my B&B portions so that there is less left over. The bacon goes into the fridge to put into snack wraps. Last year I made peanut butter cookies all summer because they are less tempting than chocolate. This year I've been making brownies... but for some reason I'm not hitting them so much. It helps to tell myself "it's for the people" to keep me out of the room candies and brownies.
When I do eat the goodies, I calculate out the calories (tedious, but it works) and write it down.
I try to ask myself "How Would Wendy Eat?" (Wendy is my skinny friend.) She eats chocolate... one m&m at a time, sucking it slowly, rather than "down the hatch" as I tend to do. The third day of the contest a guest left me a pound of chocolates. Instead of giving it away, or eating half a box one night, I ate them one or two each night for several weeks.
So yes! I'm with you in every possible way... struggling this week, but happy to report that not eating all those goodies has resulted in smaller size clothes!
=)
Kk.

I appear to have lost 10 lbs (although it does not show that I have except on the scale). I was using 2 heapers of sugar in my cups of coffee. I have cut that back to one. In August, my daughter bought me a box of Dove minatures - I have the last 2 on my desk right now - and that is AFTER putting a lot of them in a Silent Auction donation basket of roasted coffees for "pretty". I will probably have to lose another 20 before anyone would notice. Beong chained to the computer as I have been lately keeps me from eating - so that has helped.
Knitting while cooling my heels at the doctor & hospital waiting rooms helps keep from nibbling also. The knitting is an OK recommendation - waiting rooms are not, talk about pita....

pt, if pollyana could just not eat it she wouldn't have posted asking for coping strategies. obviously, if she's lost 30 pounds, and wants to lose more, for her it IS hard.
pollyana, i wish you all the best! lots of lifelong thin women i know never have sweets in the house ... they say they can't. i think it's good to know your strengths and weaknesses.
something i really like are the atkins endulge bars (yes, that's how you spell it) they taste really good and can be your treat ... but only one, once in a while. good luck! and congratulations on what you've accomplished..
deleted
Proud Texan said:
If your health is paramount, then get into a different line of work.
Geez, I think this has now gotten completely beyond what Polly was originally asking for....no need to be harsh.

Don Draper said:
Proud Texan said:
seashanty said:
If your health is paramount, then get into a different line of work.
Geez, I think this has now gotten completely beyond what Polly was originally asking for....no need to be harsh.
WHAT THE HECK?! I never said this. This is a quote from PROUD TEXAN. Please FIX your post, Don Draper.
deleted, maybe that fixed it.

Back