Anyone else watching their diet while serving up daily yummy goodness?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollyanna

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anyone out there who wants some mutual weight loss support. I am astounded at myself over my newfound willpower. It seems I can make endless batches of fudge, chocolate chip cookies, butterscotch bars, lemon tea cakes, cinnamon rolls, coffee cakes, muffins, etc. and still stay on low carb. Have lost 30 lbs so far and several sizes so that's pretty good motivation. But just wondering if there is anyone out there to commisserate with when the sugar and spice topped pumpkin muffins come out of the oven and call to me. Loudly. And it seems like there's always one left over, which I formerly would have popped right into my mouth. Can't waste anything, right? I have taken to wrapping up odds and ends along with the usual going- away cookie package and sending the sugary stuff home with my guests. Just baked up a batch of low carb coconut flour pumpkin muffins and that helps, but honestly, nothing tastes as good as real sugar. So, anyone else can't eat what they serve? Please share coping strategies!

Hey, I love the tough Texas attitude. Still, being a recovering chocoholic and sugar addict, I do find the temptations a bit overwhelming at times. If I lived in my own home, there would not be chocolate chips, sugar, etc in my pantry and it would be easier. I think being an innkeeper, a chef or anyone who works with food, it can be a challenge.

My 61 year old MIL who religiously watched her diet, exercised frequently and was in fantastic shape died within 5 weeks of being diagnosed with stomach cancer this year. She had no risk factors and no symptoms. Science understands NOTHING about the link between diet/fitness/disease/mortality.
Eat what you like and be happy! Have a taste of the sweets and toss the rest, or just do what you've been doing and pass of the extras to your guests, I'm sure they are loving your to go bags.

Don sorry to hear that, pls pass on my condolences to DH..
Thanks JB. It was rough. Still trying to deal with it, I dreaded decorating for fall as she just loved all that (mums, pumpkins, etc.). Just one more reason why I have ZERO tolerance for the self-important types right now...I just don't have the energy to deal with it.

My 61 year old MIL who religiously watched her diet, exercised frequently and was in fantastic shape died within 5 weeks of being diagnosed with stomach cancer this year. She had no risk factors and no symptoms. Science understands NOTHING about the link between diet/fitness/disease/mortality.
Eat what you like and be happy! Have a taste of the sweets and toss the rest, or just do what you've been doing and pass of the extras to your guests, I'm sure they are loving your to go bags..
Don Draper said:
My 61 year old MIL who religiously watched her diet, exercised frequently and was in fantastic shape died within 5 weeks of being diagnosed with stomach cancer this year.
So sorry to hear about that. My condolences to you and your family.

Proud Texan said:
First and and foremost, I'm sorry for you loss. However...
Don Draper said:
Science understands NOTHING about the link between diet/fitness/disease/mortality.
Obviously, you don't either. Genetics, environment, lifestyle and diet ALL play a part in a persons health.
When you're doing everything right and still get sick, then it's probably genetics. And unless you live in a bubble and from birth eat only pure organically grown food and drink only purified water you're going to be exposed to carcinogens within your lifetime. It's a fact jack.
Hmm, you'd like to to think it's genetics, except when there is ZERO genetic history. I also come for a healthcare profession and unfortunately know my MIL is far from an isolated incident.
PT, I know you desperately want to believe all you wrote. Whatever works for you is what you should do, but please don't condescend to someone who has asked for specific HELP on this forum by telling them to just toughen up. If you don't have suggestions for coping then just skip the thread.

Everything in moderation, that's my motto. You can't live in a bubble and you shouldn't obsess about health.
Don, I am so sorry for you loss. My MIL was one of the most loving people I've ever known. She died 12 years ago and I miss her every day. Luckily for me her son is pretty wonderful too.

Everything in moderation, that's my motto. You can't live in a bubble and you shouldn't obsess about health.
Don, I am so sorry for you loss. My MIL was one of the most loving people I've ever known. She died 12 years ago and I miss her every day. Luckily for me her son is pretty wonderful too..
Country Girl said:
Luckily for me her son is pretty wonderful too.
I'll second that! Tomorrow is our 12 year anniversary, I think that's why she's on my mind today. She LOVED our wedding so, so much! We had a great time planning everything together. This is the first of many "special" dates without her and it does weigh heavily.
Sorry Polly to hijack your thread, and not trying to make a pity party for me. Just I've seen firsthand how someone did everything "right" and it didn't amount to a hill of beans. At the end of her life she would have given anything to eat one bite of solid food. All those days of skipping dessert...so I say keep on doing the great things you're doing and let yourself have a bite of what you love now and then.

Don, I am so sorry for you loss. My MIL was one of the most loving people I've ever known. She died 12 years ago and I miss her every day. Luckily for me her son is pretty wonderful too..
Country Girl said:
I'll second that! Tomorrow is our 12 year anniversary, I think that's why she's on my mind today. She LOVED our wedding so, so much! We had a great time planning everything together. This is the first of many "special" dates without her and it does weigh heavily.
Sorry Polly to hijack your thread, and not trying to make a pity party for me. Just I've seen firsthand how someone did everything "right" and it didn't amount to a hill of beans. At the end of her life she would have given anything to eat one bite of solid food. All those days of skipping dessert...so I say keep on doing the great things you're doing and let yourself have a bite of what you love now and then.
Don Draper said:
Country Girl said:
Congratulations and I imagine it's a bittersweet day for you and your dh

Country Girl said:
Don Draper said:
Country Girl said:
Towards the end of her life my MIL ate nothing but Dove ice cream bars. She loved them and they brought her so much joy.
Every time a thought of her comes into my head I believe, it that moment, it is because she is here with me. So in that sense, she never really left.
Happy Anniversary. I hope you and your dh will celebrate your 12 years together and best wishes for many, many more.

Pollyanna obviously has a good handle on on the situation, but is looking for a little support, not a lecture from someone who has never been in her situation.
Congratulations Pollyanna on your weightloss, I know how tough it is. Keep up the good work! One thing that helps me when there is 1 muffin left or food left over and I'm tempted to eat it is to remind myself "I'm not a human garbage disposal".

Yes, sorry Pollyanna, I think you should be thrilled with whatever you're doing. It's obviously working for you! Congrats!
cheers.gif

Don Draper said:
Proud Texan said:
seashanty said:
If your health is paramount, then get into a different line of work.
Geez, I think this has now gotten completely beyond what Polly was originally asking for....no need to be harsh.
WHAT THE HECK?! I never said this. This is a quote from PROUD TEXAN. Please FIX your post, Don Draper

Country Girl said:
No worries, you made some good points and left us all with a reminder that life is short, and to take time to enjoy our loved ones. That's a healthy approach - value the truly sweet things in our lives.

pt, if pollyana could just not eat it she wouldn't have posted asking for coping strategies. obviously, if she's lost 30 pounds, and wants to lose more, for her it IS hard.
pollyana, i wish you all the best! lots of lifelong thin women i know never have sweets in the house ... they say they can't. i think it's good to know your strengths and weaknesses.
something i really like are the atkins endulge bars (yes, that's how you spell it) they taste really good and can be your treat ... but only one, once in a while. good luck! and congratulations on what you've accomplished.

Yes, sorry Pollyanna, I think you should be thrilled with whatever you're doing. It's obviously working for you! Congrats!
cheers.gif
Okay, well, I thought this might be an interesting topic, but maybe not. Iif anyone has any helpful and encouraging advice, advise away, please! If not, I might have better luck on the low carb support forums. Meanwhile, just got back from the gym while hubby minded the store, and I'm ready to make tomorrow's coffee cake and chinese chicken salad for dinner. I'll post an update when I reach my goal weight, probably around Valentine's Day.

pollyana, it's still early. maybe folks will post in a day or two. you're doing great!
heart.gif

dondraper, sorry for your loss.
sidetrack here ...
to the angry innpeep who sent me an email and blasted me for being insensitive in this thread, please re-read the whole thread. i never made the comment you are 'yelling' at me about, proud texan did. i was mis-quoted by mistake. you have an issue, please take it up with him.
jeez.

Pollyanna you are super-sweet, thanks for sharing with us. Congrats on the 30 lbs I applaud you!

pollyana, it's still early. maybe folks will post in a day or two. you're doing great!
heart.gif

dondraper, sorry for your loss.
sidetrack here ...
to the angry innpeep who sent me an email and blasted me for being insensitive in this thread, please re-read the whole thread. i never made the comment you are 'yelling' at me about, proud texan did. i was mis-quoted by mistake. you have an issue, please take it up with him.
jeez..
Oh my goodness, Seashanty, you've been sticking up for me the whole time! You did not need that. So sorry that happened to you. And Joey, thanks for the encouraging words.

Back