Anyone have a live webcam on their website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Just checking to see if any of you have a live video feed of your property on your website?

i wanted to ... we were in a harbor and had set one up, affixed to our cupola, to show the boats. a wind storm took it away before we even got going. but i LOVE webcams.

Nothing to show here unless one wants to watch the VFD train, wash cars, shout foul language (this is a small but vocal segment)....

Yes: http://www.harborfields.com/WebCam.html
When we choose the location for the camera, it was winter and there were no leaves on the trees. The view of the harbor was awesome. Unfortunately, since the trees leafed out, they have been dominating the scene, and the exposure values, so the view of the harbor gets washed out. We'll have to trim some branches, relocate the camera, and/or invest in a better camera on which we can control exposure settings, etc...
But what is really cool is I've linked it to the Weather Underground, where they are maintaining archives, including time-lapse videos from each day since the camera has been operational.

When we choose the location for the camera, it was winter and there were no leaves on the trees. The view of the harbor was awesome. Unfortunately, since the trees leafed out, they have been dominating the scene, and the exposure values, so the view of the harbor gets washed out. We'll have to trim some branches, relocate the camera, and/or invest in a better camera on which we can control exposure settings, etc...
But what is really cool is I've linked it to the Weather Underground, where they are maintaining archives, including time-lapse videos from each day since the camera has been operational..
I saw your webcam and tried to find myself online the day I stopped by. No luck. Saw the guests I spoke with, tho!

Yes inside the Cottage & Inn Suite only. Done in 2004. So.... I need to redue my site, will do it soon..
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
Yes inside the Cottage & Inn Suite only. Done in 2004. So.... I need to redue my site, will do it soon.
I'm guessing you don't really mean you have a LIVE feed from the inside of your guest rooms...
wink_smile.gif

I love webcams too. I put a link on my website to our downtown webcam (hosted by the local museum) that's in the same block as my guesthouse. It's live video, not a snapshot, so you can see cars driving by and people walking around downtown.

But what is really cool is I've linked it to the Weather Underground, where they are maintaining archives, including time-lapse videos from each day since the camera has been operational..
Ok guys! That is really coooool! Can you explain how you do this? I would love to have one of these.
Thank you!
Bob

Yes inside the Cottage & Inn Suite only. Done in 2004. So.... I need to redue my site, will do it soon..
Yes inside the Cottage & Inn Suite only. Done in 2004. So.... I need to redue my site, will do it soon.
I'm guessing you don't really mean you have a LIVE feed from the inside of your guest rooms...
wink_smile.gif

This is what you get when in a rush .Now retired (College job),what the heck am I rushing for ? Cam rotates around rooms for on line pic's (done in 2004) but NO NOT LIVE. Getting my 3rd truck load of gravel today (2 others did last fri.) and shovel it off at pergola/barn areas, then rest
confused_smile.gif

I set the webcam up for our local museum about 3 years ago. Back then it was a really complicated process. Setup may be easier and more automated now that webcams are more common. I had to:
  • Buy an outdoor network camera. I picked the Panasonic BL-C140 which is about $200.
  • Find a free online "middleman" to handle receiving the feed from the camera and sending it on the online host that will display the feed. Luckily, Panasonic provides this service when you buy the camera.
  • Go into my router's setup and open a "door" so the Panasonic service can access the camera feed. This was the hardest part to set up to work.
  • The museum has a "dynamic DNS" which means that the internet address of the camera changes from time to time, so I had to find a free service to monitor these changes and broadcast the current DNS to Panasonic so they can continue to "find" the camera.
  • Find a free web host to display the cameras feed. I use http://www.streamby.com
  • Once the camera was up and running on StreamBy, they provide code you can embed on any website to make the camera feed appear on the website.
I know I'm making this sound simple, but it was much harder to get it all to work ;-)
Once I got it working, though, it has worked fine, non-stop, for years.
The only cost in the whole thing was the camera itself. I found everything else free. But surely it's a lot easier to do now that so many people are using webcams.

wink_smile.gif

This is what you get when in a rush .Now retired (College job),what the heck am I rushing for ? Cam rotates around rooms for on line pic's (done in 2004) but NO NOT LIVE. Getting my 3rd truck load of gravel today (2 others did last fri.) and shovel it off at pergola/barn areas, then rest
confused_smile.gif

Then it is a video not a web cam. Web cams are live or on time delays and refresh . I too wondered about web cam in your rooms :)

Ours is a Panasonic BL-C140A also.
To make it work, you need a good full-time internet connection (cable in our case), and an ethernet router that can talk the right protocol (I think most modern ones can). You connect a computer to your ethernet network and point your web browser at the camera's IP address to configure it. Use Panasonic's free "viewnetcam.com" service to give your camera it's own domain name. You can load the images/stream from the camera directly into your webpage once you have this domain name and understand the cgi commands the camera uses (e.g. here's a direct link to the live stream from our camera: http://harborfields.viewnetcam.com/nphMotionJpeg?Resolution=640x480&Quality=Standard%20width=640%20height=480%20alt= )
The camera can also be configured to send out an image on any schedule you want, either by e-mail, or by FTP -- I've set ours up to FTP an image to the Weather Underground once every minute. The WU takes these images to display on their site alongside the weather for the location of the camera (e.g. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:04575.1.99999 ), but they also are archiving the images and creating time-lapse videos from them (e.g. http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/Harborfields/1/show.html ).

Sanctuary has a web cam live on either her baby or the other one she works with. It is live cam on the ocean or harbor depending. I watched it a bit once when there was a storm. Wild!!

Back