Anyone heard of this or use this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Red yeast rice for lowering cholesterol? Something natural, in use for over 1000 years, sounds better to me than the prescription stuff that causes other problems.

I had looked at it at one time, but it's pretty hard to be sure you are getting what you need to get. Check out the wikipedia entry. It essentially contains lovastatin, which is one of the statin drugs available in generic form these days (meaning you can get a 90-day scrip for $10). Some studies look better than the results with statin drugs.

using rapeseed oil for cooking rather than sunflower or vegetable oil for cooking is good for colestoral but it aint cheep.

I had looked at it at one time, but it's pretty hard to be sure you are getting what you need to get. Check out the wikipedia entry. It essentially contains lovastatin, which is one of the statin drugs available in generic form these days (meaning you can get a 90-day scrip for $10). Some studies look better than the results with statin drugs..
See, I thought it was the other way around...lovastatin was a 'knock off' of the natural stuff. I can't take lovastatin. That's the one that causes me all the grief so this rice yeast thing would probably be the same thing. Rats.

I had looked at it at one time, but it's pretty hard to be sure you are getting what you need to get. Check out the wikipedia entry. It essentially contains lovastatin, which is one of the statin drugs available in generic form these days (meaning you can get a 90-day scrip for $10). Some studies look better than the results with statin drugs..
OK, so a natural product with the same content as a manufactured drug product is illegal to sell because it's natural?
Do I need a prescription for oatmeal, too?

I use that and also gugulipid capsules to lower triglycerides, as well. I had modest results with these supplements. But the best thing I did for my blood work is get off sugar and adopt a low carb way of eating. I won't call it a diet because you have to stick with it. Believe it or not, butter, frying stuff in coconut oil, eating bacon, cheese, etc. lowered my cholesterol and triglycerides so much that I may soon abandon the supplements. Also lowered my weight, 19 lbs so far in 6 weeks. And I have a LOT more energy and feel good every day. Please don't anybody start blasting me about the evils of low carb, I'm just reporting what worked for me!
And, I've got to add that I've finally learned how to bake up cookies, cupcakes, muffins, waffles, cinnamon rolls, fudge, etc, etc, every single day and not take a bite or lick a spoon! Not one chocolate chip ends up in my mouth! I consider this a major accomplishment. I do however make low carb cheesecake, pots de creme and peanut butter cookies. My motivation is the recent loss of our health insurance, my advancing age, and my desire to live happy and healthy.

OK, so a natural product with the same content as a manufactured drug product is illegal to sell because it's natural?
Morticia said:

I don't really want to defend the FDA - they don't do nearly enough trial tests on women and they are hugely influenced by the drug lobbyists - but in some cases the natural product has no monocolin K in it (and is therefore useless) and in other cases it has been supplemented by lovastatin. Since those statins do cause side effects, the FDA wants them to be controlled. Dude, mary jane and opium are natural products, too!

I take 300 mg of Niacin everyday. That REALLY worked to lower my triglycerides by at least 20 points. I was already taking a baby aspirin daily as well, but by taking one adult aspirin with the Niacin prevents the Niacin flush.

Morticia said:

I don't really want to defend the FDA - they don't do nearly enough trial tests on women and they are hugely influenced by the drug lobbyists - but in some cases the natural product has no monocolin K in it (and is therefore useless) and in other cases it has been supplemented by lovastatin. Since those statins do cause side effects, the FDA wants them to be controlled. Dude, mary jane and opium are natural products, too!
Dude, mary jane and opium are natural products, too!
Exactly my point!
wink_smile.gif

I get the whole thing about the supplements not having even traces of what they are supposed to, or dyes being added to plain old rice and stuff like that. It just seems weird that something you could actually grow yourself so you knew what you were getting is not legal. (Yup, ditto your comment above!)
Moot point for me, it's what's in it that I can't take anyway. And, yes, annoying that because guys don't get severe muscle pain from the statins that it is not a 'real' side effect.

I use that and also gugulipid capsules to lower triglycerides, as well. I had modest results with these supplements. But the best thing I did for my blood work is get off sugar and adopt a low carb way of eating. I won't call it a diet because you have to stick with it. Believe it or not, butter, frying stuff in coconut oil, eating bacon, cheese, etc. lowered my cholesterol and triglycerides so much that I may soon abandon the supplements. Also lowered my weight, 19 lbs so far in 6 weeks. And I have a LOT more energy and feel good every day. Please don't anybody start blasting me about the evils of low carb, I'm just reporting what worked for me!
And, I've got to add that I've finally learned how to bake up cookies, cupcakes, muffins, waffles, cinnamon rolls, fudge, etc, etc, every single day and not take a bite or lick a spoon! Not one chocolate chip ends up in my mouth! I consider this a major accomplishment. I do however make low carb cheesecake, pots de creme and peanut butter cookies. My motivation is the recent loss of our health insurance, my advancing age, and my desire to live happy and healthy..
USA Today published an article a few weeks ago that said not only is low carb as effective for weight loss as low fat, but that it actually lowered bad cholesterol and triglycerides while simultaneously raising good cholesterol. Good for yoU!

And, I've got to add that I've finally learned how to bake up cookies, cupcakes, muffins, waffles, cinnamon rolls, fudge, etc, etc, every single day and not take a bite or lick a spoon! Not one chocolate chip ends up in my mouth! I consider this a major accomplishment. I do however make low carb cheesecake, pots de creme and peanut butter cookies. My motivation is the recent loss of our health insurance, my advancing age, and my desire to live happy and healthy..
If it is working for you, that's what counts. Sorry to hear about the insurance. That stinks.

Sorry but I don't take any of this kind of stuff seriously. IF it were true..don't you think that the entire medical community would rave and tout it to everyone. Let alone the media jump on it. I am leary of these "natural" things...sorry if I offend anyone but that is just my personal opinion.

Sorry but I don't take any of this kind of stuff seriously. IF it were true..don't you think that the entire medical community would rave and tout it to everyone. Let alone the media jump on it. I am leary of these "natural" things...sorry if I offend anyone but that is just my personal opinion..
catlady said:
Sorry but I don't take any of this kind of stuff seriously. IF it were true..don't you think that the entire medical community would rave and tout it to everyone. Let alone the media jump on it. I am leary of these "natural" things...sorry if I offend anyone but that is just my personal opinion.
Thing with this particular natural remedy is that it is identical to what the pharmaceuticals are selling. IF you get it from a reputable producer.

I take 300 mg of Niacin everyday. That REALLY worked to lower my triglycerides by at least 20 points. I was already taking a baby aspirin daily as well, but by taking one adult aspirin with the Niacin prevents the Niacin flush..
Oh! That's a great discovery about how to prevent the niacin flush! Thank you!

Sorry but I don't take any of this kind of stuff seriously. IF it were true..don't you think that the entire medical community would rave and tout it to everyone. Let alone the media jump on it. I am leary of these "natural" things...sorry if I offend anyone but that is just my personal opinion..
catlady said:
Thing with this particular natural remedy is that it is identical to what the pharmaceuticals are selling. IF you get it from a reputable producer.
But how do you know it is a reputable producer. Kind of like omega 3 fish oil. My DR. says to take it...but only the reputable purfied stuff. So who do I trust? There are zillions of omega 3's on the market. I was taking the Wal Mart Enteric brand because I didn't want the fishy taste....but is it the right one? The dr. suggested a brand...but it costs like $60 a bottle...no way am I paying that kind of $$ for fish oil.

I always say look to the Chinese for these things, they don't have high cholesterol, they also don't have ADD and ADHD and a myriad of other things we have that are epidemic in this country.

using rapeseed oil for cooking rather than sunflower or vegetable oil for cooking is good for colestoral but it aint cheep..
using rapeseed oil for cooking rather than sunflower or vegetable oil for cooking is good for colestoral but it aint cheep.
In the U.S., rapeseed oil= canola oil. Actually, a extra virgin olive oil is even better to cook with and is far healthier than canola oil. Some individuals don't like the taste of extra virgin and I understand that it doesn't do well in high heat cooking. However, there are lighter olive oils that work just fine.
Maybe it's what I'm used too, but I think the olive oil can add an extra layer of flavor that's very good in most dishes. DW cooks our eggs in olive oil....they're really good.
Our guests on the other hand get everything cooked in BUTTER, lots and lots of BUTTER! We have plates that have the Surgeon General's warning printed on them warning people that this is not a heart healthy breakfast. We also get hate mail from the American Heart Association.

I always say look to the Chinese for these things, they don't have high cholesterol, they also don't have ADD and ADHD and a myriad of other things we have that are epidemic in this country..
I have a retired friend ( chiro) who takes all sorts of Chinese herbs. He has given me some to take..but I really can't. When I read the label I just cringe and wonder what is this stuff? I just don't want to take all these strange roots and herbal things....maybe the CHinese have used them for centuries..but I just don't have that kind of faith in that stuff. I have and will continue do their acupuncture however :)

using rapeseed oil for cooking rather than sunflower or vegetable oil for cooking is good for colestoral but it aint cheep..
In the U.S., rapeseed oil= canola oil. Actually, a extra virgin olive oil is even better to cook with and is far healthier than canola oil. Some individuals don't like the taste of extra virgin and I understand that it doesn't do well in high heat cooking. However, there are lighter olive oils that work just fine.
Maybe it's what I'm used too, but I think the olive oil can add an extra layer of flavor that's very good in most dishes. DW cooks our eggs in olive oil....they're really good.
Our guests on the other hand get everything cooked in BUTTER, lots and lots of BUTTER! We have plates that have the Surgeon General's warning printed on them warning people that this is not a heart healthy breakfast. We also get hate mail from the American Heart Association.
We use EVOO in just about everything except baking and then it is butter. But we don't do that much baking any more..so moderation is the key to everything we think. :)

Proud Texan said:
We have one dish that I cook that DH calls it a 'Heart attack on a plate'. He tells this to the guests - -- after they finish! lol

Back