Anyone know the legalities of hiring non residents?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I was approached by a young woman who is an Australian resident for summer employment. What would be involved with hiring a non resident temporary employee? Anyone done this? Thanks

Check with authorities. They have to have their green card I know. JB may know some specifics.

Honestly it will be a difficult process. We just figured out how we can legally stay in the US when we purchased our B&B and this was a challenge on it's own as well as difficult and expensive.
There are temporary work visas available (without a green card). But you have to figure out if all the work/time you have to put in is worth it.
Have a look here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

I know in Australia it’s much easier: There are work and travel visas available, where you can work for a couple of month and travel. One of my ex colleague did it and found a job where they were happy to sponsor her. Now she is in the process of getting her PR.

Gosh. Sounds harder and harder, why bother? Is she that good of a worker that you would go through all this to have her? Especially for just summer employment. Is she a friend? or someone who just showed up looking for a job? Sorry...more hassle than it is worth in my opinion. Here's a link for you

Honestly it will be a difficult process. We just figured out how we can legally stay in the US when we purchased our B&B and this was a challenge on it's own as well as difficult and expensive.
There are temporary work visas available (without a green card). But you have to figure out if all the work/time you have to put in is worth it.
Have a look here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

I know in Australia it’s much easier: There are work and travel visas available, where you can work for a couple of month and travel. One of my ex colleague did it and found a job where they were happy to sponsor her. Now she is in the process of getting her PR..
See that is the thing...nothing against you personally...but I have to ask....WHY with all the problems and expense...Do you want to buy a B & B in the US? We had a couple from France do that here in our town 2 years ago...and now they are gone back to France with a Property to sell :-(

Thanks for the link CatLady. Yes, she is an aquaintance who expressed interest in coming for part of the summer in 2010.

Complicated and too often once the B&B does all the paperwork for the employee, they take off.
I would not get involved with bringing someone into the country until you are up and running and know whether you need someone.
Do the local owners have employees already? Would you firing a local employee and bringing in someone from not only out of town but another country? That may not make you popular with the locals, and you'll need local support.
I mention this because of the economy there will probably be people in your new town who need jobs. Would not look too good...
RIki

She said non resident. That means no green card. Maybe a work visa.

Hah... my parents asked the same. Ok let’s see (this could be getting a little long)
First it is a dream of my wife and me to live in the US. We think there are more opportunities for both of us. MY wife got her bachelor in psychology in Canada and is nearly finished her Master in industrial organization at the NCU in the US. Her education is according the American system. If she would try to find a position her in Germany it will be difficult not only the language (she speaks good German) but also the qualifications. Same for me if I would come over with my education from Germany to America it will be difficult for me as I don’t have a bachelors or a master because her in Germany you can have a “Ausbildung” like a training in a profession which consists of a training on the job as well as school in a dual system for two to three years.

And anyway I don’t want to work anymore for somebody except for my own. On the other hand I don’t think Germany will provide a future for us in many ways. I would also go to Singapore where my wife is coming from, but she thinks the same.
So we rather take the challenge and a certain amount of risk to buy the B&B than just continue here our life for the next 30 to 40 years.
In the end we found a good solution with the visa which could lead to a green card.
As already Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said:
Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.
If my illness would not happened last year I would be still thinking of it. But it is time to take action. Do we risk something, for sure! But it is calculable and we have a plan B if it’s not working out and besides the deal we are going to close is just too good to let it pass by.

This is just the short version otherwise I would put a couple of readers to sleep

Hah... my parents asked the same. Ok let’s see (this could be getting a little long)
First it is a dream of my wife and me to live in the US. We think there are more opportunities for both of us. MY wife got her bachelor in psychology in Canada and is nearly finished her Master in industrial organization at the NCU in the US. Her education is according the American system. If she would try to find a position her in Germany it will be difficult not only the language (she speaks good German) but also the qualifications. Same for me if I would come over with my education from Germany to America it will be difficult for me as I don’t have a bachelors or a master because her in Germany you can have a “Ausbildung” like a training in a profession which consists of a training on the job as well as school in a dual system for two to three years.

And anyway I don’t want to work anymore for somebody except for my own. On the other hand I don’t think Germany will provide a future for us in many ways. I would also go to Singapore where my wife is coming from, but she thinks the same.
So we rather take the challenge and a certain amount of risk to buy the B&B than just continue here our life for the next 30 to 40 years.
In the end we found a good solution with the visa which could lead to a green card.
Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.
If my illness would not happened last year I would be still thinking of it. But it is time to take action. Do we risk something, for sure! But it is calculable and we have a plan B if it’s not working out and besides the deal we are going to close is just too good to let it pass by.

This is just the short version otherwise I would put a couple of readers to sleep.
SeeBen21 said:

I actually understand completely what you say. I grew up in several different countries, and many of the Americans with whom I grew up never came back home to America, for various reasons.
I think since you are both highly educated and young, that this is the time you should take your chance. It may work, it may not. But never acting on something you really want would be worse than trying it. You may find too, that your dreams and goals may change along the way. But it would be a shame not to try! I've lived in several different areas here in the US as my goals changed, and loved all the spots that I've been.
While you start your B&B your wife, having a US education, could be paying the mortgage by working outside the business which would reduce the stress of starting up the B&B.
Riki

This is just the short version otherwise I would put a couple of readers to sleep.
Thanks. that's fine. It is good to know you have done your homework and are prepared. And a Plan B is good as well. All too often people don't think about other options much less plan for them. Glad you found a great deal too. We wish you all the best!

SeeBen21 said:

I actually understand completely what you say. I grew up in several different countries, and many of the Americans with whom I grew up never came back home to America, for various reasons.
I think since you are both highly educated and young, that this is the time you should take your chance. It may work, it may not. But never acting on something you really want would be worse than trying it. You may find too, that your dreams and goals may change along the way. But it would be a shame not to try! I've lived in several different areas here in the US as my goals changed, and loved all the spots that I've been.
While you start your B&B your wife, having a US education, could be paying the mortgage by working outside the business which would reduce the stress of starting up the B&B.
Riki
[/quote]
I've lived in several different areas here in the US as my goals changed, and loved all the spots that I've been.
[/quote]
See that’s what I mean you have the possibility to do this in the US. I guess a lot of Americans forget that the US are not only a country but also a continent (ok you have to share it with Canada, but they have the same language). If I would do it in Europe, I have the language problem for sure even I could do it because in the EU I can work where I want.
[/quote]
[/quote]
It is actually the different way around even we would love to do it like you suggested, we actually also thought to do it this way. BUT
First my wife can’t just work without a work permit. As discussed here it will only work with a sponsorship from a US company which is Unlikely in this economic situation. What we are planning to do is following:
We have a Family business in Singapore; this business will open a branch in the US. Than the mother company will send over an executive to manage the business (of course with the proper visa) this visa will be valid up to 7 years and after the 2nd year we can apply for a green card.
If I would be send as an executive manager my wife could get a work permit outside the company. But we decided to it in a different way. My wife will be send over and manage the day by day business with the help of two employees, which manage at the moment the B&B for the owner. I will be staying in Germany with my current job and save more money to pump over if necessary. A lot if things I can do from Germany via the internet and telephone and I can fly over once every 6 weeks for a couple of days (just because I’m working in the tourist business and the airfares are really low for me).
So if everything will work out and we can kick the business as projected I can go over sooner, If not we still can easily pay the mortgage and cover the costs with a low occupancy. So worth case we have a property which we can try to sell or just use as a vacation home in the end...

SeeBen21 said:

Riki
I've lived in several different areas here in the US as my goals changed, and loved all the spots that I've been.
[/quote]
See that’s what I mean you have the possibility to do this in the US. I guess a lot of Americans forget that the US are not only a country but also a continent (ok you have to share it with Canada, but they have the same language). If I would do it in Europe, I have the language problem for sure even I could do it because in the EU I can work where I want.
[/quote]
[/quote]
It is actually the different way around even we would love to do it like you suggested, we actually also thought to do it this way. BUT
First my wife can’t just work without a work permit. As discussed here it will only work with a sponsorship from a US company which is Unlikely in this economic situation. What we are planning to do is following:
We have a Family business in Singapore; this business will open a branch in the US. Than the mother company will send over an executive to manage the business (of course with the proper visa) this visa will be valid up to 7 years and after the 2nd year we can apply for a green card.
If I would be send as an executive manager my wife could get a work permit outside the company. But we decided to it in a different way. My wife will be send over and manage the day by day business with the help of two employees, which manage at the moment the B&B for the owner. I will be staying in Germany with my current job and save more money to pump over if necessary. A lot if things I can do from Germany via the internet and telephone and I can fly over once every 6 weeks for a couple of days (just because I’m working in the tourist business and the airfares are really low for me).
So if everything will work out and we can kick the business as projected I can go over sooner, If not we still can easily pay the mortgage and cover the costs with a low occupancy. So worth case we have a property which we can try to sell or just use as a vacation home in the end...

[/QUOTE]
So worth case we have a property which we can try to sell or just use as a vacation home in the end...
Easier said than done...unless things turn around with this economy. And..didn't you say it was an 8 bedroom B & B? That would be a big vacation home for someone????? Again, if someone has the $$$$$.

SeeBen21 said:

Riki
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/QUOTE]
So worth case we have a property which we can try to sell or just use as a vacation home in the end...
Easier said than done...unless things turn around with this economy. And..didn't you say it was an 8 bedroom B & B? That would be a big vacation home for someone????? Again, if someone has the $$$$$.

[/QUOTE]
You are right it's easier said than done... but give the economy another 5 years and it will be turning...
I am big, so I need a lot of space and there are 12 acer land attached... so even bigger
wink_smile.gif
Oh... it's not having the $$$$$. It's more about having the €€€€€ because of this we have the $$$$$

My brother in law is also taking advantage of our suffering US Dollar and has put a ton or EURO into the bank here in the US and will sell when the time is right. I don't like it, but $ is his focus.

Back