Anyone out there use the 3 sheet method for bed making?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
As in: Bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket and then 3rd sheet over the blanket. Makes a nice little "envelope" for the blanket which probably saves wear and tear and stains, but the laundry.... - just curious if anyone out there does it and what are your reasons? Also, is this the european style of bedmaking? Apologies if this thread has already been discussed - I may have missed it.

"Triple sheeting"
I would if I started from scratch and went with all white. I enjoyed triple sheeting just two nights ago, I really do like it.

We double sheet (ie bottom sheet then sheet then duvet) we don't use blankets in the UK we have a duvet which is kind of like a really thick comforter which has its own cover. Then we tuck the sheet over the top of the Duvet. The european model is bottom sheet and then just a duvet no sheets on the top of you at all. A lot of UK hotels and B&B's do this but we find Americans don't like it and it looks neater on the bed in a double sheet way though more laundry.

When we were open I did the triple sheeting. My husband did all the laundry :) NO one ever commented on it..but I really liked the look.

We double sheet (ie bottom sheet then sheet then duvet) we don't use blankets in the UK we have a duvet which is kind of like a really thick comforter which has its own cover. Then we tuck the sheet over the top of the Duvet. The european model is bottom sheet and then just a duvet no sheets on the top of you at all. A lot of UK hotels and B&B's do this but we find Americans don't like it and it looks neater on the bed in a double sheet way though more laundry..
Cambs, this is true, Americans freak if there is not a top sheet.
There are inns mostly in the colder temps here in the states who use Duvets. Nice to have washable covers on them vs say a quilt or regular comforter.

Without constant laundry help or a laundry service and ironing 100% cotton sheets, I threw triple sheeting out the window.
My favorite look was a place that had the inn's monogram on the sheet that was exposed when it was turned down over the blanket. Lovely.
For a higher priced B&B, it is a very nice amenity. :)

Without constant laundry help or a laundry service and ironing 100% cotton sheets, I threw triple sheeting out the window.
My favorite look was a place that had the inn's monogram on the sheet that was exposed when it was turned down over the blanket. Lovely.
For a higher priced B&B, it is a very nice amenity. :).
Oh yeah, I love the all white look, the monogram, the embroidered top sheet. Things to strive for on my own bed, not something I will do when I have to flip rooms after just one night. Like tonight I have four rooms checking in and 3 of them check out tomorrow. I worked as hard as I could to get a two night min this weekend, but it is a local college graduation and NO ONE and I MEAN NO ONE would book two nights for it!!
So all that laundry plus robes if they use them for just one night x 3 out of the 4.

Oh yeah, I love the all white look, the monogram, the embroidered top sheet. Things to strive for on my own bed, not something I will do when I have to flip rooms after just one night. Like tonight I have four rooms checking in and 3 of them check out tomorrow. I worked as hard as I could to get a two night min this weekend, but it is a local college graduation and NO ONE and I MEAN NO ONE would book two nights for it!!
So all that laundry plus robes if they use them for just one night x 3 out of the 4.
Yep, that's why I said higher priced B&B. For the innkeeper that can afford help with all that laundry.
wink_smile.gif

My goal is to have my bed look better than any of guest rooms. So far, it has always looked worse. Maybe it will happen now that the B&B is closed. haha!

Monogram....very nice idea! Yeah, I like the idea of triple sheeting (thanks for the correct terminology), but if I'm the one doing the laundry...NOT my favorite idea and most people don't expect it.

Off topic but I have an issue now with grad weekend...people are holding rooms until they can find something else. So, from today hence, the rooms that free up for grad weekend this year, there is a 30 day cancel period and you're in it. If you cancel, we will have to rebook for you to get your money back.

Off topic but I have an issue now with grad weekend...people are holding rooms until they can find something else. So, from today hence, the rooms that free up for grad weekend this year, there is a 30 day cancel period and you're in it. If you cancel, we will have to rebook for you to get your money back.
Off topic too - the grad family just showed, she is 89 with a walker and I explained when they booked we do not have a downstairs bathroom, and she is unable to even walk around the porch! The daughter just came in and said "There has to be another way in here" I said, "Ma'am, the front door is the guest entry." Three steps up the porch and then around the porch - but the rooms are upstairs. She knew that as we discussed it over the phone.
Graduation weekends are a necessary evil in this business.

Yes, I've triple sheeted at several places. It gives a great look with little fuss and guests do love it. I like it. Especially if monogrammed.
Whenever I stay at places as a guest myself and find triple sheeting, I'm always happy. It feels luxuriously clean.

Off topic too - the grad family just showed, she is 89 with a walker and I explained when they booked we do not have a downstairs bathroom, and she is unable to even walk around the porch! The daughter just came in and said "There has to be another way in here" I said, "Ma'am, the front door is the guest entry." Three steps up the porch and then around the porch - but the rooms are upstairs. She knew that as we discussed it over the phone.
Joey Bloggs said:
Why do guests think we make stuff up on the phone or online? 'Oh, they just don't mention it but who ever heard of a house without a first floor bathroom?' 'They say all the rooms are upstairs, but that can't be right. We need a room on the first floor, so we'll get them to move us once they see we have to have that first floor room (that they hide from view and never mention).'

Joey Bloggs said:
Why do guests think we make stuff up on the phone or online? 'Oh, they just don't mention it but who ever heard of a house without a first floor bathroom?' 'They say all the rooms are upstairs, but that can't be right. We need a room on the first floor, so we'll get them to move us once they see we have to have that first floor room (that they hide from view and never mention).'
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Hey Queen Annes have kitchens upstairs don't they? DOH! My face is still beet red. I will recover shortly. They come in and take over the place like a plague on graduation weekends. I understand they are stressed, ti is travel and a big deal with relatives there etc. I get it, I am trying to be gracious, in person, anyway. LOL!

So what are you going to do? Are they going to carry her up and down the stairs .....GRRRRR.IS you cottage booked? You could put her in there.

I do in the cooler weather obviously. I do like the look of it.
I don't really appreciate the extra laundry involved with this method, however.

So what are you going to do? Are they going to carry her up and down the stairs .....GRRRRR.IS you cottage booked? You could put her in there.
catlady said:
Well we talked about this, unless someone is in with her, they would not know if she fell or anything. They left, all left, and she is up there on her own. Lovely isn't it. She said I could bring her some toast tomorrow. Well they are the one nighter, so I guess it was a blessing in disguise.
PS I just sent some peonies photos to some innmates as this is when the garden blooms so nicely and no one notices or cares (Graduation weekend) I will just pop a couple on here...I had to get outside for a breather. Peonies bloom for such a short period.
lrg_Peonies_May072010.JPG

lrg_Peonies_May072010_B.JPG

lrg_Ponds_May072010_0.JPG

lrg_Water_Iris_May072010.JPG

lrg_Peonies_May072010_C.JPG

lrg_Rhodies_May72010.JPG

We double sheet (ie bottom sheet then sheet then duvet) we don't use blankets in the UK we have a duvet which is kind of like a really thick comforter which has its own cover. Then we tuck the sheet over the top of the Duvet. The european model is bottom sheet and then just a duvet no sheets on the top of you at all. A lot of UK hotels and B&B's do this but we find Americans don't like it and it looks neater on the bed in a double sheet way though more laundry..
This explains why my European guests sleep on top of the top sheet. Thanks!

catlady said:
Well we talked about this, unless someone is in with her, they would not know if she fell or anything. They left, all left, and she is up there on her own. Lovely isn't it. She said I could bring her some toast tomorrow. Well they are the one nighter, so I guess it was a blessing in disguise.
PS I just sent some peonies photos to some innmates as this is when the garden blooms so nicely and no one notices or cares (Graduation weekend) I will just pop a couple on here...I had to get outside for a breather. Peonies bloom for such a short period.
lrg_Peonies_May072010.JPG

lrg_Peonies_May072010_B.JPG

lrg_Ponds_May072010_0.JPG

lrg_Water_Iris_May072010.JPG

lrg_Peonies_May072010_C.JPG

lrg_Rhodies_May72010.JPG

Are you kidding me? We've had snow all week!!!! GRRRRRR!
How jealous can a person get?

JMU family are in and out to dinner now(booked all3 bedrooms),next wknd is Bridgewater College graduation. Usually easy to please as they are sooo busy....Mary in Bwater.

Back