Anyone use cell phone with Web capability

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone:
We got a Blackberry for the business account, and like it. It makes taking/responding to emails away from the house easy. We forward the inn phone to it when we're out. I haven't gotten it to link to my email's calendar feature yet, but supposedly it shoud do that.
However, I find I spend WAY too much time browsing, reading news, sports scores, checking status on Facebook, etc.
embaressed_smile.gif
Yes, my smart phone downloads my calendar everyday (actually I have it scheduled to do it a couple of times a day). I have used the email feature and texting which I never used before on my old phone.

I have the HTC Touch Pro and I like it a lot. It does more than I can think to use at this point and has a full keyboard as well as the touch screen feature, plus a stylus. We wanted to stay with the Sprint network or I might have gone with an iPhone. They have everyone beat hands down with the apps! I didn't like the idea of the iPod Touch plus a phone although it has WiFi so you don't have to buy a data package, just browse where ever you can jump on a free wireless network. My phone uses Windows Mobile and also can find WiFi. A GPS app is on most of these smart devices and I have used mine & appreciated having it.
iPhones are down to $99 here!
It is the data package cost that can get you no matter what phone you buy. We pay $148/month for 3 phones with unlimited everything.
I suggest that you look at various reviews for these smart phones and see what features you need. Then figure out which ones available on the best 3G network in your area. Then, go try them out. I thought that I'd really like a Blackberry until I worked with it. It was not intuitive for me at all while our son loves his..
Samster said:
It is the data package cost that can get you no matter what phone you buy. We pay $148/month for 3 phones with unlimited everything.
I suggest that you look at various reviews for these smart phones and see what features you need. Then figure out which ones available on the best 3G network in your area. Then, go try them out. I thought that I'd really like a Blackberry until I worked with it. It was not intuitive for me at all while our son loves his.
Well if you're paying $148 for three phones, we are paying somewhere around $80 for two phones (although when you look at our package, it lists our cost to be $60 but we all know how that goes..)
So that should mean that I can get something and get just a basic phone for Chris for at least the same amount of money.
It's just like trying to read Greek to try and look online for what I need. They don't list anything in basic language. It's in computer Geek language so you can't tell what you need. That means going in to the office and having them try to upsell me.
RIki

Thank you all for your input, it gives me somewhere to start.
RIki

I have the HTC Touch Pro and I like it a lot. It does more than I can think to use at this point and has a full keyboard as well as the touch screen feature, plus a stylus. We wanted to stay with the Sprint network or I might have gone with an iPhone. They have everyone beat hands down with the apps! I didn't like the idea of the iPod Touch plus a phone although it has WiFi so you don't have to buy a data package, just browse where ever you can jump on a free wireless network. My phone uses Windows Mobile and also can find WiFi. A GPS app is on most of these smart devices and I have used mine & appreciated having it.
iPhones are down to $99 here!
I suggest that you look at various reviews for these smart phones and see what features you need. Then figure out which ones available on the best 3G network in your area. Then, go try them out. I thought that I'd really like a Blackberry until I worked with it. It was not intuitive for me at all while our son loves his..
Samster said:
I suggest that you look at various reviews for these smart phones and see what features you need. Then figure out which ones available on the best 3G network in your area. Then, go try them out. I thought that I'd really like a Blackberry until I worked with it. It was not intuitive for me at all while our son loves his.
Well if you're paying $148 for three phones, we are paying somewhere around $80 for two phones (although when you look at our package, it lists our cost to be $60 but we all know how that goes..)
So that should mean that I can get something and get just a basic phone for Chris for at least the same amount of money.
It's just like trying to read Greek to try and look online for what I need. They don't list anything in basic language. It's in computer Geek language so you can't tell what you need. That means going in to the office and having them try to upsell me.
RIki
I hear you about the "Geek Speak" but it helped me to read the online reviews and see what the various devices could do. Of course, I bought their most expensive smart phone when I went in there, so there was no upselling in my case. haha! The iPhone is a great deal now if you like the AT&T network. The new Palm Pre (I think) is also getting decent reviews. But the reviews don't matter a whit if you can't use the dang thing!

I have a Sprint Instinct but I don't love it. I think I liked my Palm Treo better. I also have not met anyone who doesn't like the iphone. I have an innkeeper friend who got the ipod touch with web capabilities (no phone) and he loves it.
It is good to be able to do emails from your phone, but neither one I have had provides a good web browser. I got a little mini laptop and use it for travelling for dealing with online reservations..
muirford said:
I have a Sprint Instinct but I don't love it. I think I liked my Palm Treo better. I also have not met anyone who doesn't like the iphone. I have an innkeeper friend who got the ipod touch with web capabilities (no phone) and he loves it.
It is good to be able to do emails from your phone, but neither one I have had provides a good web browser. I got a little mini laptop and use it for travelling for dealing with online reservations.
and my laptop while not a mini is easy to carry. Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to find out what the comparison to an iphone and two pay as you go phones and a pdi will cost.
RIki
egoodell said:
muirford said:
It is good to be able to do emails from your phone, but neither one I have had provides a good web browser. I got a little mini laptop and use it for travelling for dealing with online reservations.
and my laptop while not a mini is easy to carry. Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to find out what the comparison to an iphone and two pay as you go phones and a pdi will cost.
RIki
I just tried the dada package on my Blackberry and think I am going to disconnect.
It would be great if you use it all the time, but heck, either I am at home or I carry my laptop along. So for me it's actually a waste of $$$$
I did play with my brothers mini laptop and loved it , maybe I'll get one of those instead.
However....they did not have wifi in a restaurant we ate and I still was able to pull up my email trough the BB vila phone coverage. So I guess it has a good side.
Try it for a while and see if you like it. You can always disconnect :)

Back