Anyone use cell phone with Web capability

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
We need to change our old phones. DH thinks I should get a phone with email and web capability so I can check reservations when out and about without having to carry the heavy binder everywhere with me.
Does anyone have a Blackberry or iphone and like it? I don't know if I can find a phone with JUST what I want. I don't care about Tweeting or Facebook, just a phone with capability to check webervations and answer an email if necessary. I don't even want GPS.
Riki

I haven't met a person who didn't love their iphone. I recently played with an HTC Touch and that seemed pretty slick too. I think Samster has one of those.

I have a Sprint Instinct but I don't love it. I think I liked my Palm Treo better. I also have not met anyone who doesn't like the iphone. I have an innkeeper friend who got the ipod touch with web capabilities (no phone) and he loves it.
It is good to be able to do emails from your phone, but neither one I have had provides a good web browser. I got a little mini laptop and use it for travelling for dealing with online reservations.

My iPhone has the safari browser and I have found that I can make reservations on Webervations without problems. I also enjoy listening to audiobooks and there are some amazing "apps" out there. The earphones come with a built in mic that answers the phone so I don't even have to take it out of my pocket. Biggest problem is the ATT bill every month ...

The newest iphone can also plug into your usb port of your laptop and act as a wireless connection for your laptop when there is no wifi to be had. That's an interesting feature for me.
When I find a good app for ftp and editing a web page, that will probably be the clincher for me. (still holding out)

My iPhone has the safari browser and I have found that I can make reservations on Webervations without problems. I also enjoy listening to audiobooks and there are some amazing "apps" out there. The earphones come with a built in mic that answers the phone so I don't even have to take it out of my pocket. Biggest problem is the ATT bill every month ....
Stupid question...can you look at your avail calendar on the phone and also talk at the same time? So, you have a potential guest on the phone asking about making a rez. Can you talk and make the rez simultaneously?

My iPhone has the safari browser and I have found that I can make reservations on Webervations without problems. I also enjoy listening to audiobooks and there are some amazing "apps" out there. The earphones come with a built in mic that answers the phone so I don't even have to take it out of my pocket. Biggest problem is the ATT bill every month ....
Stupid question...can you look at your avail calendar on the phone and also talk at the same time? So, you have a potential guest on the phone asking about making a rez. Can you talk and make the rez simultaneously?
Bree said:
Not a stupid question. To my knowlege you can't do that. But I don't want to pay for both a cell phone and pdi with web. That means two payments and two things to carry. I imagine if they call me I'll tell them I'll call them back in 5 minutes.
But when I check my email on breaks at work, or out on a wine tourI don't have to have the reservation binder with me to check.
RIki

Innkeep said:
My iPhone has the safari browser and I have found that I can make reservations on Webervations without problems. I also enjoy listening to audiobooks and there are some amazing "apps" out there. The earphones come with a built in mic that answers the phone so I don't even have to take it out of my pocket. Biggest problem is the ATT bill every month ...
I'll check into iphone. I'm hesitant about the bill. But hubby will only need a basic phone so maybe we can find our two needs in a package that will at least give us more of what we want for not more than what we're paying right now. I'm still leaning towards just getting the pay as you go phones, and maybe a pdi for the reservations. But then I'd still be carrying two things.
RIki

I have a Sprint Instinct but I don't love it. I think I liked my Palm Treo better. I also have not met anyone who doesn't like the iphone. I have an innkeeper friend who got the ipod touch with web capabilities (no phone) and he loves it.
It is good to be able to do emails from your phone, but neither one I have had provides a good web browser. I got a little mini laptop and use it for travelling for dealing with online reservations..
muirford said:
It is good to be able to do emails from your phone, but neither one I have had provides a good web browser. I got a little mini laptop and use it for travelling for dealing with online reservations.
and my laptop while not a mini is easy to carry. Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to find out what the comparison to an iphone and two pay as you go phones and a pdi will cost.
RIki

Why don't you check into that new one being advertised..CRICKET...at www.mycricket.com
No contracts, flat fee etc. I thought it would be a great deal..unfortunately...my town is in their ROAM area:-(
I too have heard nothing but raves from people with IPhones. If I needed one, I would buy it for sure. My nephew worked on the development of the microphone for it:)

Bree said:
I think it primarily comes down to the network you are accessing. My understanding is that if you are on a 3G network, then you can surf and talk at the same time (you'd need an earpiece to do it easily). However if the phone dropped to an "edge" network, that older/slower network will not support it.
However, if you are in a wifi hotspot even if on an Edge network for phone, you can surf by being connected to wifi and talk using the Edge network.

Bree said:
I think it primarily comes down to the network you are accessing. My understanding is that if you are on a 3G network, then you can surf and talk at the same time (you'd need an earpiece to do it easily). However if the phone dropped to an "edge" network, that older/slower network will not support it.
However, if you are in a wifi hotspot even if on an Edge network for phone, you can surf by being connected to wifi and talk using the Edge network.
Funny thing...I just found out after 3 years of having this phone, that I can do 2 calls at a time and I also just found how to use the speakerphone on it. DUH!!! Guess I should have read the instruction book
embaressed_smile.gif

The newest iphone can also plug into your usb port of your laptop and act as a wireless connection for your laptop when there is no wifi to be had. That's an interesting feature for me.
When I find a good app for ftp and editing a web page, that will probably be the clincher for me. (still holding out).
Oh goody!!! www.ftponthego.com
"Honey, I have to buy an iPhone!"
whattha.gif

Why don't you check into that new one being advertised..CRICKET...at www.mycricket.com
No contracts, flat fee etc. I thought it would be a great deal..unfortunately...my town is in their ROAM area:-(
I too have heard nothing but raves from people with IPhones. If I needed one, I would buy it for sure. My nephew worked on the development of the microphone for it:).
catlady said:
I too have heard nothing but raves from people with IPhones. If I needed one, I would buy it for sure. My nephew worked on the development of the microphone for it:)
That sounds like the jitterbug phone that is being advertised here. But I thought I heard there were some problems with it... have to check it out.
RIki

When I find a good app for ftp and editing a web page, that will probably be the clincher for me. (still holding out).
whattha.gif

OH MY! I don't want to be that much in contact with my clients. They can wait until I am at home for me to FTP..
but you...oh you definitely should get an IPHONE!!!

Bree said:
I've seen guests using a variety of phones here. We still have our old cell phone that the contract has run out on. Because service here is so awful we're leery about doing anything new with the phones until we decide if we're going to get a completely different phone company for our landline/internet/TV.

whattha.gif

OH MY! I don't want to be that much in contact with my clients. They can wait until I am at home for me to FTP..
catlady said:
Unfortunately we are not in cricket's territory, as the base contract would have worked for Chris. All he does is use it a couple of times a week to call me!
RIki

whattha.gif

Problem that I have heard, however, is that the iphone is great for everything but a phone. I have heard it's terrible for making and hearing phone calls.
RIki

I have the HTC Touch Pro and I like it a lot. It does more than I can think to use at this point and has a full keyboard as well as the touch screen feature, plus a stylus. We wanted to stay with the Sprint network or I might have gone with an iPhone. They have everyone beat hands down with the apps! I didn't like the idea of the iPod Touch plus a phone although it has WiFi so you don't have to buy a data package, just browse where ever you can jump on a free wireless network. My phone uses Windows Mobile and also can find WiFi. A GPS app is on most of these smart devices and I have used mine & appreciated having it.
iPhones are down to $99 here!
It is the data package cost that can get you no matter what phone you buy. We pay $148/month for 3 phones with unlimited everything.
I suggest that you look at various reviews for these smart phones and see what features you need. Then figure out which ones available on the best 3G network in your area. Then, go try them out. I thought that I'd really like a Blackberry until I worked with it. It was not intuitive for me at all while our son loves his.

Everyone:
We got a Blackberry for the business account, and like it. It makes taking/responding to emails away from the house easy. We forward the inn phone to it when we're out. I haven't gotten it to link to my email's calendar feature yet, but supposedly it shoud do that.
However, I find I spend WAY too much time browsing, reading news, sports scores, checking status on Facebook, etc.
embaressed_smile.gif

Back