Anyone used flowering almond as a cutting plant?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I have a flowering almond that is gorgeous right now. (In a few weeks it will look dead, not a good stand alone plant!) I've never cut it to bring indoors because it's never been this big before. Just curious if it will wilt immediately or look ok for the weekend?
There's not much else in bloom right now but bachelor buttons and this almond. (And some lilacs that are about 15' up and not easy to get at.)

i have no idea! can you post a picture? i cut everything. some things were just good for a day. but i just love fresh flowers.
oh, i love big masses of lilacs!!!!!!

They should last for the weekend
as you cut, place into a water jar
Keep out of direct sunlight

Keep out of direct sunlight.
I just want to tell you I appreciate your posts about plants. As a I plant then you are on your own type gardener, I appreciate the info you are giving. I bookmared the rhodo info so i can print it out the next time DH gets near the pruning shears! I have 2 beautiful rhodos - he killed the white one between his bonfires and "pruning".

The hydrangeas are really starting to bloom here - they're going to be magnificent this year! I also cut just about anything from the garden, even shrubs for greenery. It helped with the cost of flowers since we had them in all the rooms, as well as the common areas. :)

Keep out of direct sunlight.
Not gonna work sorry to say, I clipped a couple of branches and the flower petals just dropped to the ground. Must have waited too long. I'll have to try next year and see what happens.

Should have included this....
When cutting for cut flowers.........important to be at the beginning of the flowering cycle......at bud stage. Bud break. Openning.......and first openned........
Woody stems.... best if using pruners that are new, newly sharpened.....and bypass models......so as not to crush the cut end, that can damage the ability to up take water......misting them is helpfull.
We don't have to many Almonds here...be nice if it were more popular.......we do have flowering with plants in ground lasting up to 3 weeks.

Should have included this....
When cutting for cut flowers.........important to be at the beginning of the flowering cycle......at bud stage. Bud break. Openning.......and first openned........
Woody stems.... best if using pruners that are new, newly sharpened.....and bypass models......so as not to crush the cut end, that can damage the ability to up take water......misting them is helpfull.
We don't have to many Almonds here...be nice if it were more popular.......we do have flowering with plants in ground lasting up to 3 weeks..
Yeah, it was just too late.
I just noticed this plant maybe 3 years ago. Where it came from, I don't know because it was in a spot that was more or less untouched. Last year, we dug out that whole area and left the flowering almond because it looked ok last year. (But ti does have to be trimmed back every year, it ends up with a lot of dead wood.)
So, this year, with the area all around it all cleared out, it did very well.
I read somewhere it has a life span of about 10 years before bugs kill it off. (I don't use insecticides here, so we'll see.)
I did use my clippers to cut the stems, but the 'de-petaling' was pretty immediate. So, yes, it is probably at the end of the flowering cycle. It will look ugly next week I guess.

We work one particular property for better than 15 years.....has a rather large Almond shrub......trim annualy to keep in place.....no dead wood issues of concern.......haven't noticed insect problems of any kind......this prop is not sprayed.
I do pick up for myself......some 3 - 5 lbs......every year.......and I know the guys pick up and take as well.

Can you post a picture of the flowering almond? Is it a shrub? Yesterday I put an arrangement together of pink and white bleeding heart, yellow irises, bachelor buttons and lilacs. The lilacs will be the first to go but if you smash the woody stem they will last for a few days.

Can you post a picture of the flowering almond? Is it a shrub? Yesterday I put an arrangement together of pink and white bleeding heart, yellow irises, bachelor buttons and lilacs. The lilacs will be the first to go but if you smash the woody stem they will last for a few days..
Just GOOGLE it...you will see hundreds of photos :)

We work one particular property for better than 15 years.....has a rather large Almond shrub......trim annualy to keep in place.....no dead wood issues of concern.......haven't noticed insect problems of any kind......this prop is not sprayed.
I do pick up for myself......some 3 - 5 lbs......every year.......and I know the guys pick up and take as well..
That's good to know. It could be I found a website with info for a different planting zone. The first year I noticed this, I almost ripped it out. It has serious dead wood issues after it blooms. What I read was that it is supposed to have 'nice foliage' through the summer. Not this puppy! It gets all scraggly in a couple of weeks after the blooms are gone.

Can you post a picture of the flowering almond? Is it a shrub? Yesterday I put an arrangement together of pink and white bleeding heart, yellow irises, bachelor buttons and lilacs. The lilacs will be the first to go but if you smash the woody stem they will last for a few days..
It is a shrub-y sort of thing. I'll have to get a pic later on.

smashing the cut provides more water surface area.......my only concern is the Xylem tubes.....this is the pathway that water is moved through the plants.........90% of the plants uptake of water is transpired through the leaves......so.......any damage to the Xylem that causes interference with the uptake of water will shorten the life span of the cutting.
Woody cuttings would treat like roses......one thing I have done myself time to time is strip the bottom inch or two of the outer layer (bark)..this method seems to have worked well with woody cuttings for flowers or for rooting........actualy it is the only way I have done rootings....
Can also cut slits into the bottom inch or two....

Back