Anyone want to be Irish for the day (and night)?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
In a funk .... as a red-headed Brit, today is the day when I get to play-up my Maureen O'Haraness. Back in Corporate NYC, this was The Day to be simply silly and do too much of everything. Here - the only local joint that would work for a St Paddy's Day roustabout is closed until the summer. We are undoubtedly too old to still want to do this, but we have cabin fever, a low bank account, no guests and feel the need to "let loose".
So - we will stop work early, DH is making corned beef and cabbage .... and we'll probably be fast asleep by 5:30 :)
IF however anyone wants to join us they'll have good company, food, grog, a comfortable bed for the night ..... and your hosts might even make it until 7:30 before they start to snore !!!!

Happy St. Paddy's Day to You! Enjoy your celebrations.
potofgold.gif

Oh how I wish I could!!! I used to make a St Pat's feast with corned beef and cabbage, colcannon, soda bread, etc. Now DH can eat none of it! So this Irish (among other mixes in the pot) lass gets told Happy St Pat's and that is about it. I called my sister yesterday - Pat because she emerged on the 16th and she will have her birthday card arriving today to tell her Happy St Pat's since I apparently did not get it in the mail soon enough. My maiden name is MORAN.

I have an Irish-heritage DH, so every year we do the same thing. Lamb chops (I hate corned beef) and mashed potatoes for dinner, then he watches 'The Luck of the Irish' on DVD with a beer and then an Irish Mist while I read and nod off. Aaah, traditions!

I have an Irish-heritage DH, so every year we do the same thing. Lamb chops (I hate corned beef) and mashed potatoes for dinner, then he watches 'The Luck of the Irish' on DVD with a beer and then an Irish Mist while I read and nod off. Aaah, traditions!.
I too hate corned beef, but I have the most amazing DH / Chef. He uses the "brisket" cut and I LOVE it.
I guess I'm just having "one of those days". I've always been a little reclusive, yet I have a knack for making people feel comfortable (in my own non-traditional way). I "entertain" for a living, I have the most amazing group of friends, BUT they are spread all over the globe and while I am "friendly" with everybody, today is one day that I am feeling lonely .... cue the violins.

I'd be there in a heartbeat but we (amazingly) have guests tonight!

O' Ireland isn't it grand you look
Like a bride in her rich adornin'
And with all the pent-up love of my heart
I bid you the top o' the mornin'!
potgold2.gif

May your day be blessed
with all you're wishin' for.
May your fields be full o' shamrocks
and your roads be paved with gold.
And may the angels o' Ireland
Watch o'er you forever and a day.
May love and laughter light your days,
And warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
Wherever you may roam.
May peace and joy bless your world,
And may all life's passing seasons,
Bring the best to you and yours.
bar.gif

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17th
julieMarch2008.gif
Although not a national holiday in North America, March 17th is recognized in many communities. The biggest observance of all is, of course, in Ireland. Almost all businesses, with the exception of restaurants and pubs, close. Being a religious holiday as well, many attend mass, where it is the traditional day for offering prayers for missionaries throughout the world.

bar.gif

stpat.jpg
St. Patrick is known as the patron saint of Ireland who is credited with bringing christianity to Ireland. Most of what is known about him comes from his two works, the Confessio, a spiritual autobiography, and his Epistola, a denunciation of British mistreatment of Irish christians. The actual death of St. Patrick is unknown. One account says that St. Patrick died at Saul, Ireland, on March 17, 461 A.D. and was buried in Downpatrick. Another account says that St. Patrick ended his days at Glastonbury, England and was buried there. The Chapel of St. Patrick still exists as part of Glastonbury Abbey.

We have a couple checking in tonight from Belfast. I hope they don't think my shamrock cookies are too corny!

Hope you enjoyed your St. Pat's Day. We had celebrated it early on Saturday and then a church supper on Monday night. This is the one time of the year that we eat corned beef and we enjoyed it!

potgold2.gif

May your day be blessed
Wherever you may roam.
bar.gif

julieMarch2008.gif
Although not a national holiday in North America, March 17th is recognized in many communities. The biggest observance of all is, of course, in Ireland. Almost all businesses, with the exception of restaurants and pubs, close. Being a religious holiday as well, many attend mass, where it is the traditional day for offering prayers for missionaries throughout the world.

bar.gif

stpat.jpg
St. Patrick is known as the patron saint of Ireland who is credited with bringing christianity to Ireland. Most of what is known about him comes from his two works, the Confessio, a spiritual autobiography, and his Epistola, a denunciation of British mistreatment of Irish christians. The actual death of St. Patrick is unknown. One account says that St. Patrick died at Saul, Ireland, on March 17, 461 A.D. and was buried in Downpatrick. Another account says that St. Patrick ended his days at Glastonbury, England and was buried there. The Chapel of St. Patrick still exists as part of Glastonbury Abbey.

We used to live in midtown Manhattan, where St. Patrick's Day is truly otherworldly. You couldn't get in an Irish pub even with a good accent. My husband's grandparents on one side used to always claim they were English, as they immigrated to the U.S. just over 100 years ago, when there was still tremendous discrimination against the Irish in terms of social status and job opportunities. It wasn't until DH did his own genelogical research about 10 years ago that he discovered they moved to England from Ireland, and that he is really 100% Irish descent. Now, it's a grand thing to be Irish...

potgold2.gif

May your day be blessed
Wherever you may roam.
bar.gif

julieMarch2008.gif

bar.gif

stpat.jpg

We used to live in midtown Manhattan, where St. Patrick's Day is truly otherworldly. You couldn't get in an Irish pub even with a good accent. My husband's grandparents on one side used to always claim they were English, as they immigrated to the U.S. just over 100 years ago, when there was still tremendous discrimination against the Irish in terms of social status and job opportunities. It wasn't until DH did his own genelogical research about 10 years ago that he discovered they moved to England from Ireland, and that he is really 100% Irish descent. Now, it's a grand thing to be Irish...
muirford said:
Now, it's a grand thing to be Irish...
It 'tis, it 'tis.

potgold2.gif

May your day be blessed
Wherever you may roam.
bar.gif

julieMarch2008.gif

bar.gif

stpat.jpg

We have been to Glastonbury Abbey!

Hope you enjoyed your St. Pat's Day. We had celebrated it early on Saturday and then a church supper on Monday night. This is the one time of the year that we eat corned beef and we enjoyed it!.
LOL - we ate our corned beef and cabbage, I made myself a very un Irish gimlet, we sat down to watch a movie and ended up with "walk-up", very nice guests who were house-hunting in the area.

Back