Appetizer suggestions to bring to bbq?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
4th of july bbq invite (actually the party is on the 3rd due to host's work schedule)
they asked that i bring an appetizer. someone is bringing watermelon filled with fruit; another is bringing salad; a third is bringing homemade cheese ball with crackers.
any suggestions?

Rats...I was going to suggest watermelon skewers.
How about that perennial 80's crock pot favorite...mini meatballs in grape jelly and cocktail sauce.

Deviled eggs are the go-to appetizer of choice around here. I have stuffed dates with slivers of manchego cheese and a pecan half - those are kind of appetizer/dessert option.

Deviled eggs are the go-to appetizer of choice around here. I have stuffed dates with slivers of manchego cheese and a pecan half - those are kind of appetizer/dessert option..
Oh yeah. Deviled eggs. Yum!

What are Deviled Eggs? i am sure we have them here but call them something else.

What are Deviled Eggs? i am sure we have them here but call them something else..
What are Deviled Eggs? i am sure we have them here but call them something else.
Hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half with yolks removed. Yolks are mixed with a variety of yummy things that may include mayo, mustard, pickle relish and other stuff, then spooned back into the eggs where the yolk used to be. There are a bazillion recipes. Around here, the making of them is a competitive sport so there is always more than one variety at any given potluck.

What are Deviled Eggs? i am sure we have them here but call them something else..
The French call them œuf mimosa (Mimosa Eggs) and the Dutch call them "Stuffed Eggs" or "Russian Eggs" if they are filled with caviar.

stuffed mushroom caps
Spinach balls....
these are easy........not exactly the recipe, the jist of what I remember.......spinach, bread crumbs, egg, a grated cheese and parmesan, season.....mix all together......form small balls in hand......cookie sheet.....bake 350 10 - 15 minutes or so......can do a dip on the side
bacon wrapped scallops
shrimp kabobs......cut the sticks in half and just do 1 shrimp per skewer.
Smoked salmon with cream cheese on a 2x2 cut pumpernikle and rye bread

My favorite is dried ham wrapped around swiss cheese or /and Manchango cheese (the real stuff) and cantelope. Use prosciutto, Spanish, or Virginia dried ham. Secure with a toothpick.
RIki

Hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cut in half with yolks removed. Yolks are mixed with a variety of yummy things that may include mayo, mustard, pickle relish and other stuff, then spooned back into the eggs where the yolk used to be. There are a bazillion recipes. Around here, the making of them is a competitive sport so there is always more than one variety at any given potluck.
muirford said:
My mother used to put a touch of curry in her deviled eggs. Yum! Just a touch of mayo, curry, salt and pepper in the smashed yolks and restuff the white.
Riki

Vodka cherry tomatoes.
Blanche, peel, marinate in vodka with a little white wine (or champagne) vinegar, some salt, sugar and lemon zest. Serve with cocktail sticks and a side of salt, pepper and lemon zest.
..... we ain't called the Tipsy Butler for nuttin'

Vodka cherry tomatoes.
Blanche, peel, marinate in vodka with a little white wine (or champagne) vinegar, some salt, sugar and lemon zest. Serve with cocktail sticks and a side of salt, pepper and lemon zest.
..... we ain't called the Tipsy Butler for nuttin'.
oh my!
great suggestions all ... tempting these vodka tomatoes, there will be children there so i'll save that one for another day!

Vodka cherry tomatoes.
Holy WOW!!! I want these right now...preferably alongside a Bloody Mary!!!!!!

Vodka cherry tomatoes.
Don Draper said:
thumbs_up.gif

I'll pour! ;)

Back