Apple Clafoutis

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Reaction score
APPLE CLAFOUTIS
Makes 4 to 6 servings. Preheat oven to 350.
For the apples:
4 large tart apple about 8ozs peeled and cord . Then slice into thin rings
Juice and zest of a 1/2 lemon.
1 tbsp. plus 1/4 cup white sugar, divided
For the cake :
3 eggs
1cup whole milk.
3/4 cup flour
1/4c sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
pre heat oven 350
toss peeled apples with lemon and lemon zest plus 1 tbsp. sugar.
let it sit for 15 mins. then arrange the slices in bottom of pan.
Make the cake In a blender whirl eggs ,milk, flour, 1/4c sugar,vanilla and salt blend till mixture looks smooth. it takes about 15 min.. then pour the mixture over the apples.
Bake till puffed and golden brown. I set my pan in the middle rack and in the centre of the oven It takes about 40 to 50 mins to cook. Then take it out of oven a sprinkle with icing sugar. Serve warm. Or can use vanilla ice cream on the side. It was a nice change from doing cherries.

It's amazing how certain foods bring back some memories. To me, a clafoutis is fruit (generally cherries) stuck into a baked pancake dough, cut into long slices and served with tea. The sweet version of a scone.

It's amazing how certain foods bring back some memories. To me, a clafoutis is fruit (generally cherries) stuck into a baked pancake dough, cut into long slices and served with tea. The sweet version of a scone..
When we were in France visting good friends she used it as an afternoon treat . Yes it was from cherries only. But I wanted to try apples ,. My next one I am going to try with peaches. My batter is more like a pudding or cake.

It's amazing how certain foods bring back some memories. To me, a clafoutis is fruit (generally cherries) stuck into a baked pancake dough, cut into long slices and served with tea. The sweet version of a scone..
When we were in France visting good friends she used it as an afternoon treat . Yes it was from cherries only. But I wanted to try apples ,. My next one I am going to try with peaches. My batter is more like a pudding or cake.
Did you know that traditionally it was baked with the pits in the cherries? Today, we substitute almond extract for the missing cherry pits.
One day, when you are making pancakes and have the dough left over, add some sugar and try it as the dough for a clafoutis, you may just be surprised :)

Did you know that traditionally it was baked with the pits in the cherries? Today, we substitute almond extract for the missing cherry pits.
One day, when you are making pancakes and have the dough left over, add some sugar and try it as the dough for a clafoutis, you may just be surprised :)
Yes I am up trying a new way. AND I like surprises. Hence why I tried Apple Clafoutis. I imagine most any fruit would do. But by adding sugar would it not be just a sweet fruit pancake?

Yes I am up trying a new way. AND I like surprises. Hence why I tried Apple Clafoutis. I imagine most any fruit would do. But by adding sugar would it not be just a sweet fruit pancake?
Well, pancake dough generally doesn't have sugar, so you add a little... otherwise it won't be sweet at all. (And like most clafoutis, you dust it with icing sugar). And then when you bake it, it gets the clafoutis cake/tart part done. If you are doing the cherries, add a little almond extract, otherwise a little vanilla (which is likely in your pancake batter anyway.)
It's a great way to get rid of the extra pancake dough and serve it up for tea :)

Back