approach to renovations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AS WE SPEAK my old claw foot tub is being refinished, it has been on my "to do" list for five years!! I am sooooo excited (ok since i am full I think the guest in that room - my long stay - may have to "sponge bath" in the morning ....).
did you have someone come in and do the refinishing or did you do it yourself? I have one that needs to be done, but it was so darned expensive. If you had someone do it, can I ask how much?

AS WE SPEAK my old claw foot tub is being refinished, it has been on my "to do" list for five years!! I am sooooo excited (ok since i am full I think the guest in that room - my long stay - may have to "sponge bath" in the morning ....).
did you have someone come in and do the refinishing or did you do it yourself? I have one that needs to be done, but it was so darned expensive. If you had someone do it, can I ask how much?
Breakfast I had it redone by a company called Renu-it - i think they are franchised ..... this one was out of Albany GA not sure where you are .. I have been getting quotes for years most were $400 upwards often with $50/hr for 'repairs' - this was $295 - can't get a new plastic tub for that! They also redo tile and sinks. He started this morning around 9.30 and was done by 1pm, used an extractor fan and there was hardly any odor, just a slight scent of cinnamon.

I had my claw-foot refinished in 1995 by a company called Tub ReNu and it cost $300 + tax. It was the ONLY facility in the ONLY bathroom (has a hand-held shower) for 10 years and then moved to the new bathroom in 2006. It started showing a need to be redone in 2008. It was originally because a drip had messed it up around the drain - no drip but that is where it is again.They are also a franchise. This gives you a couple names to look for.

Breakfast I had it redone by a company called Renu-it - i think they are franchised ..... this one was out of Albany GA not sure where you are .. I have been getting quotes for years most were $400 upwards often with $50/hr for 'repairs' - this was $295 - can't get a new plastic tub for that! They also redo tile and sinks. He started this morning around 9.30 and was done by 1pm, used an extractor fan and there was hardly any odor, just a slight scent of cinnamon.
Holy cow! The quote I got was about $1,000 and an overnight stay because it was a 2 day project and they would have to travel 2 hours. We don't seem to have anyone in our region that does it. I'm in the Pacific Northwest.

Holy cow! The quote I got was about $1,000 and an overnight stay because it was a 2 day project and they would have to travel 2 hours. We don't seem to have anyone in our region that does it. I'm in the Pacific Northwest.
I looked up Bath Fitter and it sounds like they are more. But they are in the PacNW. Not sure who you called.

Also I think it depends on your size as we are 12 rooms we can cope depending on what we are doing without one but if we had three it would be the equivalent of us having 4 rooms out at once.

My folks traveled 150 miles - each way - and did it in 1 day - actually less than but the room was sealed off until the next day.

For example at the moment I have completely gutted the bathroom of room 8 ie just bits of pipes sticking out of the floor at the moment (ie room totally not lettable) I am putting in an extra wide shower stall sliding door with all new sink and duel flush toilet lovely new tiles and lino. Majour work and a complete mess I am pushing my plumber (also my godbrother) to do it in a week and a half as if he does there is enough time to do the same in room 7 before we hit being fully booked again. We also have all the new windows comming in on the 21st feb so bedlam generally.
However room 8 I have decorated and new curtains this year as well as a new dressing table and King bed. However the carpet doesn't look so good was one that the previous people put in and the floor needs looking as it squeeks so when I change the carpet while it is up I will get Richard to sort it out.
However all the walls in this room are papered in Textured wall paper which is seen as really 80's and old fashioned and ideally would like to get it all off smoothed down and painted but it would have to be professionally done and will cost a fortune so am putting this off for phase two. But would it be better to put off seven and carry on with 8? Also I would really like to get room 1 redecorated as some
potty-mouth.gif
has pulled the wall paper (ie it has lifted and they have meddled with it) so now it looks shabby grrr there is always something falling off of something.
Think I am just going to steam clean the carpet in 8 and see how it looks for now..
We've removed much of the wallpaper for the same reason- people fiddling with a loose bit and tearing strips off. What are they thinking? How can I rent a room with strips of wallpaper torn off?
It's kids. They don't think of that.

When we renovated our house, we took a clawfoot tub to a guy who actually totally refinishef the tub, inside and out, plus the feet. It can't be done inside as multiple layers are put on after removing a previously badly done "in-house" job. The finish that the previous owner's here had done in place did not hold up and was only about 5 years old. We're at 6 years and it looks brand new. I hope you have better luck with the company that did yours.

FYI I should clarify that the price I paid was to have the INSIDE of the tub ONLY refinished, to do the underside they would have had to have taken it out (the only way it will get out of this house is in 2 pieces through the window .. the same way my jacuzzi is going as soon as I can afford to change it into a shower!!)

FYI I should clarify that the price I paid was to have the INSIDE of the tub ONLY refinished, to do the underside they would have had to have taken it out (the only way it will get out of this house is in 2 pieces through the window .. the same way my jacuzzi is going as soon as I can afford to change it into a shower!!).
Mine was also inside only. When it was moved into the "new" bathroom it was reversed so I thought it was now going to have a pretty white side showing. To my amazement it was BLACK (and ugly) so it was also painted with the Rustoleum gold spray paint. Still looks good - gaudy but good.

Back