approach to renovations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
there are two schools of thought to renovations and i would like people's opinion.
Strategy one is to start with your largest/easiest sell room put it out of service and completely renovate it as quickly as possible so it is bringing you in more money to then start on the next room.
Strategy two (mine at the moment) is to do it piece meal which is I am doing bathrooms of 8 and 7 but both bedrooms could do with redecorating as well but we can't spare the time to put them off at the moment as well as the money where as I can get the two bathrooms done before the next busy conference and then decorate later in the year when it isn't as busy. Ive been working through buying bits of furniture and lamps and so on as I can.
Some people say it is better to borrow the money and then blitz the whole place but I would rather as I get money in do things so I am not over committing myself.
What do people think? (especially in this uncertain economic climate)

I like the domino approach in option 1, but in season we never undertake renovations. So, when it is busy we do repairs and touch-ups, but never wholesale replacement.
Piecemealing has its own allure in that you can see progress but not all at once. And things that are annoying are getting fixed pronto.
We plan our renos and borrow what we need to accomplish them. I made the mistake one year of not doing this and we took the money out of the bank and then were short when we needed money to pay bills.

"Git r done"
If this involves going into debt unnecessarily, then I am not for that, but you have to spend money to make money. You cannot have deferred maintenance and expect it to just be "okay." Redecorating is another issue to maintenance and upkeep. We say this, as there is ALWAYS maintenance and upkeep, it is a continual swiveling living thing in these inns.
Redoing one room totally vs piece-mealing two or three, I say get the one room done. Please oh please do not do band-aid fixes. Don't do something now you will have to redo later. While you are there, do it right.
Just last night, as we had to remove a faulty electrical outlet on a wall, we found it had no grounding and was installed sideways (this is an add-on to this house, so was done 20 years ago, so it was not ages ago, and it should have been UP TO CODE). What this meant, was if we cut into the dry wall - which we did - where this wiring was run we would be electrocuted. IJITS!
Do it right the first time. If you pull it out of service, get it done to your satisfaction.

"Git r done"
If this involves going into debt unnecessarily, then I am not for that, but you have to spend money to make money. You cannot have deferred maintenance and expect it to just be "okay." Redecorating is another issue to maintenance and upkeep. We say this, as there is ALWAYS maintenance and upkeep, it is a continual swiveling living thing in these inns.
Redoing one room totally vs piece-mealing two or three, I say get the one room done. Please oh please do not do band-aid fixes. Don't do something now you will have to redo later. While you are there, do it right.
Just last night, as we had to remove a faulty electrical outlet on a wall, we found it had no grounding and was installed sideways (this is an add-on to this house, so was done 20 years ago, so it was not ages ago, and it should have been UP TO CODE). What this meant, was if we cut into the dry wall - which we did - where this wiring was run we would be electrocuted. IJITS!
Do it right the first time. If you pull it out of service, get it done to your satisfaction..
Totally agree with not borrowing unnecessarily. The reno budget every year is small enough that we can pay it off as we go. Just learned a tough lesson the first time around in spending down the cash. Bad. Everything was paid for but there was no money for emergencies, so of course there were emergencies.
Not 'patching' is good. You never go back to fix the patch so it's best to do it right the first time. Cheap repairs always fall apart when you can least afford them to- 7 AM on a holiday weekend!
Buying the best you can afford is good as well. There is so much cheap stuff here that needs to be replaced. Slowly, we're getting there. Unwittingly, we have fixed major problems just by changing something so it was easier for us to work with. If it makes it easier for me, it makes it better for the guests.

My opinion--debt is bad unless you HAVE do borrow to fix something don't. I would not close a room if I could book it. By total rennovation do you mean new carpet, paint, mattresses & fittings?

I would let the "largest/easiest sell" work for me. Let it bring in money while you're spending money to fix others. I would leave that room for last. That way, your other rooms will be generating more because they're already in great shape.

I had a brain cramp about how to make me better with a reno but it will have to wait until 2012 because of my trip in June. That is a good thing as I can assess the viability economically better by waiting (being forced to) a year. I will be trying to find the money for a queen bed this year though. That will be part of the overall whether I do the reno (make 2 rooms a 2-room suite with ensuite bath) or not. Then I will see how that affects the room nights.

We bought an existing inn (6 rooms) in June last year. It had been closed for 5 years, but in general was in good condition. Our strategy (after relocating,cleaning and urgent fixes) was to first concentrate on the general area's and outside/garden. Next we did improve our two best rooms, opened for business (end of august) and improved the other 4 rooms. In between we worked on fixes in our private area (as time goes by certain items get higher priority....) So last year we did all the quick and easy things, but what we did was good quality, with keeping the end of the "5 year plan" in mind.
This year we are doing a second round, more in depth and we are taking one room at the time.This works for us because we are not fully booked, winter is slow and mainly weekends. The plan is to have all the in house work in the guest areas done by 1 april
How you renovate in my opinion should depend on how you market your rooms and on your resources. If guests can choose a room on the website and you can get a higher price on a renovated room I would go one room at the time, starting with the rooms you get the best return on your investment (could be the best or the worst room...) . If guests just book and you assign a room I would try to gradually improve all the rooms together, otherwise you risk bad reviews from guest who have seen (heard about) the renovated rooms but not stayed there.....
Blitzing the place, lending the money, hiring an architect/managercontracters etc is great, but only if you get a quick return on your investment - in any economic climate.

For example at the moment I have completely gutted the bathroom of room 8 ie just bits of pipes sticking out of the floor at the moment (ie room totally not lettable) I am putting in an extra wide shower stall sliding door with all new sink and duel flush toilet lovely new tiles and lino. Majour work and a complete mess I am pushing my plumber (also my godbrother) to do it in a week and a half as if he does there is enough time to do the same in room 7 before we hit being fully booked again. We also have all the new windows comming in on the 21st feb so bedlam generally.
However room 8 I have decorated and new curtains this year as well as a new dressing table and King bed. However the carpet doesn't look so good was one that the previous people put in and the floor needs looking as it squeeks so when I change the carpet while it is up I will get Richard to sort it out.
However all the walls in this room are papered in Textured wall paper which is seen as really 80's and old fashioned and ideally would like to get it all off smoothed down and painted but it would have to be professionally done and will cost a fortune so am putting this off for phase two. But would it be better to put off seven and carry on with 8? Also I would really like to get room 1 redecorated as some
potty-mouth.gif
has pulled the wall paper (ie it has lifted and they have meddled with it) so now it looks shabby grrr there is always something falling off of something.
Think I am just going to steam clean the carpet in 8 and see how it looks for now.

For example at the moment I have completely gutted the bathroom of room 8 ie just bits of pipes sticking out of the floor at the moment (ie room totally not lettable) I am putting in an extra wide shower stall sliding door with all new sink and duel flush toilet lovely new tiles and lino. Majour work and a complete mess I am pushing my plumber (also my godbrother) to do it in a week and a half as if he does there is enough time to do the same in room 7 before we hit being fully booked again. We also have all the new windows comming in on the 21st feb so bedlam generally.
However room 8 I have decorated and new curtains this year as well as a new dressing table and King bed. However the carpet doesn't look so good was one that the previous people put in and the floor needs looking as it squeeks so when I change the carpet while it is up I will get Richard to sort it out.
However all the walls in this room are papered in Textured wall paper which is seen as really 80's and old fashioned and ideally would like to get it all off smoothed down and painted but it would have to be professionally done and will cost a fortune so am putting this off for phase two. But would it be better to put off seven and carry on with 8? Also I would really like to get room 1 redecorated as some
potty-mouth.gif
has pulled the wall paper (ie it has lifted and they have meddled with it) so now it looks shabby grrr there is always something falling off of something.
Think I am just going to steam clean the carpet in 8 and see how it looks for now..
We've removed much of the wallpaper for the same reason- people fiddling with a loose bit and tearing strips off. What are they thinking? How can I rent a room with strips of wallpaper torn off?

potty-mouth.gif
Think I am just going to steam clean the carpet in 8 and see how it looks for now..
We've removed much of the wallpaper for the same reason- people fiddling with a loose bit and tearing strips off. What are they thinking? How can I rent a room with strips of wallpaper torn off?
exactly! Room 1 is quite small so what I am thinking is do three walls with lining paper and paint a neutral shade like cream and do one feature wall in a more distinctive shade maybe a black flocked pattern
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=1690684&c_3=3%7Ccat_14115047%7CWallpaper%7C14115052&c_2=2%7Ccat_16849219%7CWallpaper%7C14115047&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CDecorating%7C16849219
To make the space seem larger.
What do you think?

potty-mouth.gif
exactly! Room 1 is quite small so what I am thinking is do three walls with lining paper and paint a neutral shade like cream and do one feature wall in a more distinctive shade maybe a black flocked pattern
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=1690684&c_3=3%7Ccat_14115047%7CWallpaper%7C14115052&c_2=2%7Ccat_16849219%7CWallpaper%7C14115047&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CDecorating%7C16849219
What do you think?
I love that. But I'm a b&w kind of person. Not sure if it wouldn't be overwhelming depending on the room. This is not snarky because I love the show, but it reminds me of Fawlty Towers. So, in my mind, I'd be expecting something like that anyway.

potty-mouth.gif
What do you think?
I love that. But I'm a b&w kind of person. Not sure if it wouldn't be overwhelming depending on the room. This is not snarky because I love the show, but it reminds me of Fawlty Towers. So, in my mind, I'd be expecting something like that anyway.
it would only be on one wall (believe me everywhere would be too much) LOL

AS WE SPEAK my old claw foot tub is being refinished, it has been on my "to do" list for five years!! I am sooooo excited (ok since i am full I think the guest in that room - my long stay - may have to "sponge bath" in the morning ....)

potty-mouth.gif
What do you think?
Then definitely. It's a great look. What would you have on the bed & windows? Colorwise? Red accent pillows!

potty-mouth.gif
What do you think?
Then definitely. It's a great look. What would you have on the bed & windows? Colorwise? Red accent pillows!
we have all white bed linen so that is easy and they do a matching light shade (or as near as matching) Curtains I havn't decided yet. I have seen two sets of really nice ones in a sort of black and silver stripe but I don't think they will go with that wall paper so may do all light walls with accent curtains and coloured throws and cushions. But there is terracotta carpet in there and it goes with nothing so I am going to get rid of that as well, sort out the floor and new underlay. So have to get it all co-ordinated. But not in a mad striped spotted tv in adverse weather conditions wish I was blind kind of way. this sort of look.
http://www.balmoralhotel.co.uk/roomsandsuites/windsorsuite.php

not as much as I love my refinished tub!!!!.
It is so rewarding when you finally get something to the state that you know it can be (does that make any sense?) I am super excited about room 8 bathroom. The waists, doors and trays came today ahead of schedule (for a change) which helps the over all schedule so I am hoping to have both bathrooms done before the Unison conference which is the 3rd week of Feb. Wish me luck!

Back