Are there still Innkeepers to run properties?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Rifled through a couple of old threads and came upon questions about people looking for innkeepers to live on and manage their properties for them.
Do people still do this?
I know that there are corporations buying up boutique hotels and using this model (Lark, Ace, Kimpton) where they hire managers to run them.
Wonder if the old model of innkeepers having on-property managers still exists and still works.

Yes. Go to the IPA site plenty of ads there for interim innkeepers. Not sure that’s what you are actually asking. There are more and more “boutique” hotel firms buying up b&b’s. We were just solicited for just an offer. Your inn is probably a prime site for that? Our innkeeper does not live on but very near & manages most facets of day to day operations bc I am chronically ill (
Crohn’s disease & chronic migraines, plus a stroke history). I handle all office, web, phones bookings & marketing- she shops& cooks & handles guests. My daughter checks in guest and my husband serves breakfast. I wish I could do more, but I’m sick.we also have 5 day a week housekeeping which is a total blessing. I am eternally blessed in my staff. So yes, this exists. But you must trust and pay them well

I am getting ready to purchase another BnB here in our little mountain town. Yes, I am a masochist. :)

It's a relatively small property, 6 rooms, with a separate house behind it. The innkeeper will keep his full time job where he can telecommute his salary is his living space. There are full hook ups for an RV, so our housekeeping staff will be a workamper.

What @InnDeep said about trusting and paying them well is absolutely right. Although I am so fortunate that the innkeeper, who is also a long time friend, will not be paid directly, he will get a lot of perks in addition to his living arrangement.

I'll describe the situation more in a different post.

C

Just coming back to comment here that I meant the ALP "Help Wanted" and "Positions Wanted" pages with Innkeeper listings. There certainly seem to be a lot of folks looking to be interim innkeepers. I'll be adding my own help wanted postings there next week.

Also to add that my innkeeper just quit. Suddenly. Sigh. And my Crohn's & migraine are so bad at this point getting out of bed is really hard (autoimmune disease flares basically). We're scheduled to re-open in two weeks, after completing repairs & renovations after our recent plumbing emergency caused by frozen pipes took out 7 rooms. It has really been a winter (my mom also died suddenly on Xmas).

So now looking for both a FT Innkeeper for Miss Molly's Inn on Chincoteague and a PT assistant Innkeeper. If anyone is interested or knows anyone interested, please send them my way. And not so sure the model is the best one, particularly when you are too sick to do the job yourself. Creates a dependency that can leave one's business up a creek. Not sure where to go from here.

Chincoteague Island Bed and Breakfast: Miss Molly's Inn (missmollys-inn.com)

Just coming back to comment here that I meant the ALP "Help Wanted" and "Positions Wanted" pages with Innkeeper listings. There certainly seem to be a lot of folks looking to be interim innkeepers. I'll be adding my own help wanted postings there next week.

Also to add that my innkeeper just quit. Suddenly. Sigh. And my Crohn's & migraine are so bad at this point getting out of bed is really hard (autoimmune disease flares basically). We're scheduled to re-open in two weeks, after completing repairs & renovations after our recent plumbing emergency caused by frozen pipes took out 7 rooms. It has really been a winter (my mom also died suddenly on Xmas).

So now looking for both a FT Innkeeper for Miss Molly's Inn on Chincoteague and a PT assistant Innkeeper. If anyone is interested or knows anyone interested, please send them my way. And not so sure the model is the best one, particularly when you are too sick to do the job yourself. Creates a dependency that can leave one's business up a creek. Not sure where to go from here.

Chincoteague Island Bed and Breakfast: Miss Molly's Inn (missmollys-inn.com)

Get better quickly I hope. A total bummer being ill and worse when it keeps you from functioning. Please accept condolences on the loss of your Mother, we know from experience it is not easy.

Get better quickly I hope. A total bummer being ill and worse when it keeps you from functioning. Please accept condolences on the loss of your Mother, we know from experience it is not easy.
Thank you Gillum. I appreciate your kindness.

I’m so sorry about your mom. And sending all best wishes to feel better and find an employee fast.

Back