Are we there yet?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Anyone wishing to post inspirational quotes or stories...please do. We could all use some uplifting words - I can't wait for the winter slumber to begin or a few days away from the biz. I am being slammed by marketers right now and I am ready to toss the phone out the window!
Here is mine for today:
Don't get discouraged...

Don't get discouraged; it is often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.

—Unknown

We had a cc processor saleman walk in the door at brekkie this AM. I walked him right back out the door. He kept asking for hubs and I kept saying we're in the middle of brekkie and 'your appt is at 4 PM, see you then.' He did not want to leave. I did not want him there.
If he calls back and I answer, there will be no second appt.
Oh, right, something inspirational...when I get all tied up in something that isn't perfect, never will be perfect and is not the end of the world, I remember what my mother says, 'You can't see it from an airplane.' (Of course that does not apply to dust in the guest rooms.
wink_smile.gif
)

As I sit here held hostage by our 5 night guests who are HERE all day every day...I think of next week when I will be sitting here twiddling my thumbs with no guests. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (or something...)
It helps me to know it's not just me, so thanks for sharing.

We had a cc processor saleman walk in the door at brekkie this AM. I walked him right back out the door. He kept asking for hubs and I kept saying we're in the middle of brekkie and 'your appt is at 4 PM, see you then.' He did not want to leave. I did not want him there.
If he calls back and I answer, there will be no second appt.
Oh, right, something inspirational...when I get all tied up in something that isn't perfect, never will be perfect and is not the end of the world, I remember what my mother says, 'You can't see it from an airplane.' (Of course that does not apply to dust in the guest rooms.
wink_smile.gif
).
"cosmic dust happens"

As I sit here held hostage by our 5 night guests who are HERE all day every day...I think of next week when I will be sitting here twiddling my thumbs with no guests. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (or something...)
It helps me to know it's not just me, so thanks for sharing..
InnsiderInfo said:
Our five nighter finally left - she has refilled her coffee each day after breakfast and followed me around talking. DON'T GET ME WRONG she is a lovely lady, just wants to talk and I need to clean up and check out guests.
So they finally left - I was flipping two rooms and she found me to ask for...ready for this...drum roll please "a beach towel"
I have no idea, but it did crack me up. I went and got one of OUR beach towels (Do we normally loan out our own personal beach towels? Have we ever been asked to? No, never, not even in summer, and it ain't summer, btw) but that meant they were leaving...so even better. :) Bless her heart.

I'm still doing OK, but I know D. is getting very tired...it happens the end of the season each year. He does breakfast each morning, repairs and maintenance all weekend, and then puts in his 40 hours at a job 45 minutes away 5 days a week.
He spends nearly half of November each year at hunting camp (I call it drinking camp), and I know he is SOOO looking forward to that. I don't look forward to it, as it is just two weeks or so when I don't get to see him at all, and get to deal with guests all on my own. I make it easier on myself by offering a screaming november deal that includes deep discounts, a flexible continental breakfast and lots of sleeping in for everyone.
Makes a dismally slow month a little busier and alot easier than it would otherwise be.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"The future depends on what we do in the present." - Mahatma Gandhi

Will it really matter 100 years from now?
I consider myself the most blessed person I know. First of all, I opened my eyes this morning and sucked air. I have three rooms coming in - they are moving and have 2 horses and now have a blown engine in their truck and have made it comr CT this morning to my side of the mountains in MD -so I am a lot better off than they are as I am in my sort of warm house and not stranded on the highway with all my household goods, a teenager, an older man, and 2 horses.
I have a family that is managing on their own (meaning I am NOT supporting them) and none are in jail or on Welfare, all are healthy and intelligent, all 8 grandkids are healthy and so far appear to be intelligent. I have more than 2 friends that would help me even if it was money i needed (and I have had a couple in that category who have died). I have made business relationships that have helped me N/C instead of charging me their normal rates.
I live in the City and State of my choice and am able to feel that I actually am making a difference rather than just taking up space.
I may kvetch about DH and looking for cement from time to time, but I know that I am the most blessed person I know. Who else would I live with and who else would live with ME?
Perfect example of what I am talking about - I wanted to sponsor a little girls basketball team and DH told me he would put up the money (I do not have it right now) AND a woman I know who has a PR firm just contacted me for something to pitch to a reporter. Gave her the Veterans 9 other inns are doing with me which she will pitch BUT wanted something for MY inn too. This is an out-of-the-blue freebie on her part.
I am truly blessed and I know it! Thanks, Innmates.

It helps me to know it's not just me, so thanks for sharing..
InnsiderInfo said:
Our five nighter finally left - she has refilled her coffee each day after breakfast and followed me around talking. DON'T GET ME WRONG she is a lovely lady, just wants to talk and I need to clean up and check out guests.
So they finally left - I was flipping two rooms and she found me to ask for...ready for this...drum roll please "a beach towel"
I have no idea, but it did crack me up. I went and got one of OUR beach towels (Do we normally loan out our own personal beach towels? Have we ever been asked to? No, never, not even in summer, and it ain't summer, btw) but that meant they were leaving...so even better. :) Bless her heart.
I keep old bath towels for beach towels. If I hear beach plans being made, I offer the towels so my good towels don't go out for the day. I've had a lot of happy guests who were going to buy beach towels (and then give them to me) thankful they didn't have to spend more money. Ditto if I hear coolers being discussed.

A man's own good breeding is the best security against other people's ill manners.
Lord Chesterfield
The secret of many a man's success in the world resides in his insight into the moods of men and his tact in dealing with them.
J. G. Holland
To rejoice in another's prosperity, is to give content to your own lot: to mitigate another's grief, is to alleviate or dispel your own.
Thomas Edwards
Hear the meaning within the word.
William Shakespeare
Charity, good behaviour, amiable speech, unselfishness — these by the chief sage have been declared the elements of popularity.
Burmese Proverb
Kind words are the music of the world.
F. W. Faber
We are far more liable to catch the vices than the virtues of our associates.
Denis Diderot
Arguing with a fool proves there are two.
Doris M. Smith
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few;
and let those be well-tried before you give them your confidence.
George Washington
Look to be treated by others
as you have treated others.
Publius Syrus
Success in life, in anything,
depends upon the number of persons
that one can make himself agreeable to.
Thomas Carlyle
Never part without loving words to think of during your absence. It may be that you will not meet again in this life.
Jean Paul Richter

Let us believe neither half of the good people tell us of ourselves, nor half of the evil they say of others.
J. Petit Senn
The more you say, the less people remember.
François Fénelon
Never lose a chance of saying a kind word.
William Thackeray
The soul of conversation is sympathy.
Thomas Campbell
It is always good to know, if only in passing, charming human beings. It refreshes one like flowers and woods and clear brooks.
George Eliot
Every man is a volume if you know how to read him.
William Ellery Channing
If evil be said of thee, and if it be true, correct thyself; if it be a lie, laugh at it.
Epictetus
In many things it is not well to say, "Know thyself"; it is better to say, "Know others."
Menander
The less people speak of their greatness,
the more we think of it.
Lord Bacon
He who sedulously attends, pointedly asks, calmly speaks, coolly answers and ceases when he has no more to say is in possession of some of the best requisites of man.
Johann Casper Lavater
A good word is an easy obligation; but not to speak ill requires only our silence; which costs us nothing.
John Tillotson
It requires less character to discover the faults of others than is does to tolerate them.
J. Petit Senn
Do not forget small kindnesses and do not remember small faults.
Chinese Proverb

Back