are you ever curious?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
this weekend we had some guests who seemed to have bought all new clothing for this trip. every morning they were clipping tags off each other's garments.
while helping the housekeeper keep up with alll the rooms i saw some of the garments that had not yet been worn and still had the tags on them hanging over the closet door. $195 for a skirt, $135 for a sleeveless top and that was just for the garments not yet worn. everything else was new as well. they were talking about maybe driving into the big city here to go shopping and one of them said, 'why bother, this is all low end here, not what we want.'
my clothes took it to heart. my $15 sweater i bought 15 years ago, my $10 linen skirt i scored at a 1/2 off the 1/2 off sale, even my half off sandals were dejected. my entrie outfit cost less than one of thier shoes. not even the pair of shoes, just one of the shoes.
are you ever curious about the price tags on clothing or don't you get the kind of guests who bring all new clothes with them? certainly not implying that anyone is snooping, this was all in plain sight just flung over the top of the door.

Actually, I never compare myself to anyone else. I am just happy right where I am. I think there is an old saying that "Money does not bring happiness." It is great to have "enough." I am thankful I have enough. I need nothing more.......This business pays my payment for the roof over my head. What more could I ask for?
I guess widowhood at 28 with two chronic illnesses and a 5 yr. old to support, taught me some very valuable lessons. I am so very grateful for my blessings. Every morning when I wake up, place my feet on the floor....and can walk to the bathroom without pain.......I am thankful!

We had a guest when we first opened who gave his wife a full length mink coat for her birthday while they were here. No need to be curious about it, he couldn't resist talking about it. Along with telling about how when he was married to his first wife they lived in a shack with no running water. It was kind of a sad story given that he hadn't been remarried all that long. I kept thinking about the first wife with the kids in the shack with no running water and the new wife parading around in the mink that it didn't seem like he was really all that able to afford.
However, as to tags, we see that all the time given the location as a shopping mecca. Guests don't come with new clothes but they certainly leave with them and many of them have to show me the deals they got. It's like a fashion show in the dining room a lot of times.

Actually, I never compare myself to anyone else. I am just happy right where I am. I think there is an old saying that "Money does not bring happiness." It is great to have "enough." I am thankful I have enough. I need nothing more.......This business pays my payment for the roof over my head. What more could I ask for?
I guess widowhood at 28 with two chronic illnesses and a 5 yr. old to support, taught me some very valuable lessons. I am so very grateful for my blessings. Every morning when I wake up, place my feet on the floor....and can walk to the bathroom without pain.......I am thankful!.
hiddencove said:
Actually, I never compare myself to anyone else.
not me, i do that all the time. in looking at the mercedes that drive in here and the bmw's and all the high end cars that park next to my beater i'm always wishing i had more money. i don't know anything about clothes and the price tags always stratle me. it would be nice to not have to worry about money to the point i could buy a skirt for almost $200 to wear once. i don't think i could do that but it would be nice to have the money to think about doing that.

I guess widowhood at 28 with two chronic illnesses and a 5 yr. old to support, taught me some very valuable lessons. I am so very grateful for my blessings. Every morning when I wake up, place my feet on the floor....and can walk to the bathroom without pain.......I am thankful!.
hiddencove said:
not me, i do that all the time. in looking at the mercedes that drive in here and the bmw's and all the high end cars that park next to my beater i'm always wishing i had more money. i don't know anything about clothes and the price tags always stratle me. it would be nice to not have to worry about money to the point i could buy a skirt for almost $200 to wear once. i don't think i could do that but it would be nice to have the money to think about doing that.
I do get that way sometimes too, and there are times when those sometimes last way too long before I come to my senses. When I really look back and see all the things I've been able to accomplish when I (and hubby) didn't have 2 nickles to rub together, I'm pretty proud of us. It's never been as bad as not having running water, but there have been times when we rolled pennies to get us through to the next paycheck. There were times when we drank water because there wasn't enough money to buy more milk for another day or 2. I took my kids shopping at the beginning of summer to Salvation Army where they thought it was great to get turned loose to pick out their own summer tee shirts and shorts. We've lived in some great houses, had enough cars to drive, everyone had food to eat and toys to play with and then some. I hope my kids never have to do the things we did, but I hope they never forget it either.
I hear what you're saying though. It would be nice, if even for a short time, to not have to worry about where the money is going to come from to do what needs to be done or what we'd just like to do ... and I zip past the channels that broadcast "Real Housewives of Wherever." I cannot stomach any of that.

odd behavior for guests. if comments like this were made in front of you, it makes me wonder who they were trying to impress. or put down. commenting on 'low end' ... that's not very nice.
i prefer to get bargains and i don't wonder how much others' clothing costs. my daughter runs a vintage and consignment shop and has taught mom a thing or two because i don't know 'names' ... i mostly wear overalls ... except i know i love april cornell nightgowns!

oh! there was one time i was curious about something.
while fluffing a room i noticed a bunch of gift wrap flung on the floor and a ring box on the chair. open with the ring sitting inside. i was wondering if someone proposed and was declined ... an apology not accepted ... or what ... i wondered why the ring wasn't being worn or at least not left on a chair like it meant nothing. made me feel a little sad somehow.

Having had the chance to associate with some very well-off people through a group I belonged to; I'm afraid I have to agree with Hiddencove. Sure they had beautiful houses and beautiful clothes, but they were some of the most miserable people I've had the misfortune to meet.
Real Housewives is pretty accurate when it comes to some of the jealousy, competitiveness and backbiting that goes on. In addition, many were trapped in unhappy marriages or suffering from chronic diseases.
Be careful what you wish for.

I didn't spend more than $1.50 on all of the clothing I'm wearing (and yes, I'm fully dressed), and I look presentable and I'm comfortable.
You can have your new clothes and fancy cars... I'm at home with my kids, running a business, and happily married!
=)
Kk.

I didn't spend more than $1.50 on all of the clothing I'm wearing (and yes, I'm fully dressed), and I look presentable and I'm comfortable.
You can have your new clothes and fancy cars... I'm at home with my kids, running a business, and happily married!
=)
Kk..
Amen to that!

I grew up with no water on the property - at least none that was usable, mine surface water cannot be used for ANYTHING!) - and my Chicago Mom not only had to haul water (5, 8, and 10 gallon milk cans) into the kitchen in the winter to thaw, but she had to heat the water for laundry on the stove and transfer it to the washer. We had a 2-seater out back. We did not know we were poor (the Crawfords were the "poor people". Mom made all our clothes and our neighbor who was an only child could not wait for my sister to outgrow her clothes so she could get them - and they could buy whatever! It taight us to appreciate what we have and know what we can live without. Do i want to go back to that - heck no! DH is the one who is always wanting more - more money in the bank, more money in his wallet. As long as I can pay my bills I am happy.
I wanted the new bathroom for 2 reasons - I do want to have a decent looking area to live in AND if I am going to put this house on the market, the owners' quarters need to be decent. The phrase ENOUGH really does say it for me - but enough also means having the means to go out once in a while or to take a trip without breaking the bank.
I have it a lot easier than my Mom had it. I do not have to milk cows, muck out stall, tend a garden and can for winter, sew clothes, haul water, time the laundry to be done for when the bread man comes so he will help empty the rinse tubs..... And still make $$ stretch so we could once or twice a month go to the county seat to the DQ and Mom & us kids get a 10 cent cone and Daddy get a 25 cent cone. Once a year we went to Chicago for vacation and stayed with my aunt & her husband and 6 kids in their 3-bedroom apt. I consider myself truly lucky to have grown up where I did and the way I did. We had love and freedom - we had everything we needed.
My kids grew up (after I came into the house) with yard sale and sale rack clothes unless I made them, doing chores, going to truck farms to do U-Pick so I could can, and making do. It made them strong.

hiddencove said:
I do get that way sometimes too, and there are times when those sometimes last way too long before I come to my senses. When I really look back and see all the things I've been able to accomplish when I (and hubby) didn't have 2 nickles to rub together, I'm pretty proud of us. It's never been as bad as not having running water, but there have been times when we rolled pennies to get us through to the next paycheck. There were times when we drank water because there wasn't enough money to buy more milk for another day or 2. I took my kids shopping at the beginning of summer to Salvation Army where they thought it was great to get turned loose to pick out their own summer tee shirts and shorts. We've lived in some great houses, had enough cars to drive, everyone had food to eat and toys to play with and then some. I hope my kids never have to do the things we did, but I hope they never forget it either.
I hear what you're saying though. It would be nice, if even for a short time, to not have to worry about where the money is going to come from to do what needs to be done or what we'd just like to do ... and I zip past the channels that broadcast "Real Housewives of Wherever." I cannot stomach any of that.
SecondAct said:
and I zip past the channels that broadcast "Real Housewives of Wherever." I cannot stomach any of that.
My cousin lives around the corner in the same community as the Real Housewives of Orange County. (Who knew!) She watches the show with her friends, who also live in the same community, and laughs her head off. She has the money to live there but was definitely not raised to act like that.

i like stuff ... all kinds of stuff.
some of my stuff is silly. some is pretty nice.
when shabby chic came into style i was delighted.
some of my stuff is so cheap that when someone says they like it i can give it to them without a thought.
sentimental things of course are hardest to let go of.
i also like going places. some goofy, inexpensive or free, some fairly expensive and posh. i will admit i really like going someplace and being pampered!

I've noticed quite a few clothing tags left behind in the trash here too. The price is not what got my attention but the fact that it hadn't been washed before they put it on. I always have to wash new clothes first because of that strange smell and itchy feel they give me. I have never thought of comparing myself to any of the guests. I wouldn't want to be anyone other than myself and certain clothes don't make any one person better than another. Heck my shirts are mostly all the same. I always wear a button down long sleeved shirt with the thin blue and white stripes or the red and white stripes with basic Carhartt pants. I just like to get up, take a shower, throw my clothes on and make my commute from the bedroom to the kitchen.

Nope, not curious at all. Sometimes it's a treat for people to pick up new things before a trip for a vacation or special occasion. Or to buy some things while they're here. I just had a guest that went to our Goodwill store and also to Dillards (where they were having a fantastic Memorial Day sale). Whether they buy them at WalMart, Ann Taylor, or Saks doesn't matter to me a whit. As long as their credit card is good when I run it for their stay!
regular_smile.gif
Some people are hung up on certain name brand stores and that's just their preference.
I confess that I do like some of the "name brand" clothing lines but I get them at the discount stores like TJ Maxx. My real weakness is shoes
wink_smile.gif

I've noticed quite a few clothing tags left behind in the trash here too. The price is not what got my attention but the fact that it hadn't been washed before they put it on. I always have to wash new clothes first because of that strange smell and itchy feel they give me. I have never thought of comparing myself to any of the guests. I wouldn't want to be anyone other than myself and certain clothes don't make any one person better than another. Heck my shirts are mostly all the same. I always wear a button down long sleeved shirt with the thin blue and white stripes or the red and white stripes with basic Carhartt pants. I just like to get up, take a shower, throw my clothes on and make my commute from the bedroom to the kitchen..
I always wash things before using them - clothes, towels, sheets. DH pooh-poohed that idea and told me how he made fun of his younger brother for putting new underwear in the laundry before wearing it. Then he bought a new flannel shirt and wore it right away. Over a t-shirt underneath - he had a rash on his forearms that swelled and spread so much that he had to go to the dermatologist. Now he washes everything first, too.

Bree wrote: "She has the money to live there but definitely was not raised to act like that."
THAT is it in a nutshell.

I stopped shopping for clothes a long time ago. Going through Costco and need some socks- in the cart and on to the meat department! Need a new pair of shorts- in the cart and off I go to get peanut butter. The one exception is that we do buy nice Aloha shirts when they go on sale. Since it is our uniform, it is deductible. We have some mainland clothes for when we travel, but we haven't upgraded that for years.

I think we have asked before what "uniforms" are worn by the forum innkeepers. I think it is everything from levi's to smocks with lots of pockets. Embroidered polos are easy to slap on with a pair of shorts or levis.
Quiet shoes while I am in the kitchen early am's is imperative.
What do you all wear?

I think we have asked before what "uniforms" are worn by the forum innkeepers. I think it is everything from levi's to smocks with lots of pockets. Embroidered polos are easy to slap on with a pair of shorts or levis.
Quiet shoes while I am in the kitchen early am's is imperative.
What do you all wear?.
What does this innkeeper wear? Jeans & tees (long sleeve with sweater in the winter) or jeans and camp shirt in the summer. Occasionally 'pedal pushers'. Never shorts. Not even Bermudas. Never tank tops. I don't wear 'revealing' clothing because I'm not built for it any more. If I was, I would. But I'd rather suffer the heat than be an embarrassment to myself.
embaressed_smile.gif

Back