Are you getting enough business?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshJ

Reaction score
I've been helping B&Bs get more customers. I'm doing a bit of research and need some help.
If you're not making the amount of revenue you want, what do you think your main challenge is with getting more customers?
Thanks, I'd love to hear your input.

Hi Josh! Just a quick heads up...introduce yourself first and explain you write for a lifestyle blog and that you want everyone here to spill their guts so you can write a blog article for money. Otherwise you're not playing fair. If I got that wrong, sorry. But your name sounded familiar.

JoshJ said:
I've been helping B&Bs get more customers. I'm doing a bit of research and need some help.
If you're not making the amount of revenue you want, what do you think your main challenge is with getting more customers?
Thanks, I'd love to hear your input.
If we knew the challenge we would have the customers...
BTW Who are you?
shades_smile.gif
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for automatically trying to sell something to us without even getting to know us first...slam bam thank you ma'am.

Thanks Camberley....
Pretty harsh responses from the others. Far from the positive group of people I was expecting. I didn't realize it wasn't fair for someone to ask or there was some protocol to follow either.
The reason I ask the question is to find out what issues owners are facing and perhaps find out more. I'd love to chat with some people and see if there are ways I can help and understand their problems.
If others still want to share, I'd like to hear from you. There is nothing for sale here.
P.S. No, I do not write for lifestyle blogs.

Thanks Camberley....
Pretty harsh responses from the others. Far from the positive group of people I was expecting. I didn't realize it wasn't fair for someone to ask or there was some protocol to follow either.
The reason I ask the question is to find out what issues owners are facing and perhaps find out more. I'd love to chat with some people and see if there are ways I can help and understand their problems.
If others still want to share, I'd like to hear from you. There is nothing for sale here.
P.S. No, I do not write for lifestyle blogs..
Can you tell us who you are, what specifically do you do and how do you b&bs?
Please know that we are bombarded numerous times per day, day after day by people trying to solicit our business and most of them are not upfront with what they offer.

Thanks Camberley....
Please know that we are bombarded numerous times per day, day after day by people trying to solicit our business and most of them are not upfront with what they offer.
Thank you for your more thoughtful response. I wasn't aware you getting hit with unwanted sale offers.
Of course I'm happy to introduce myself. My name's Josh. I'm 34. Travelling is a very large part of my life. Recently I became very interested in the B&B industry.
The reason is right now I'm in Bali helping a newly established villa in Ubud.
I'm not familiar with all the problems that bed and breakfast are facing. So it seemed obvious to me to ask in the biggest B&B forum for some opinions.
I'm interested in getting more opinions and chatting with people who have had experiences.
I appreciate every honest answer. I hope you understand why I'm here and that I don't want to annoy people.
Thank you!
Josh

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you for your more thoughtful response. I wasn't aware you getting hit with unwanted sale offers.
Of course I'm happy to introduce myself. My name's Josh. I'm 34. Travelling is a very large part of my life. Recently I became very interested in the B&B industry.
I'm not familiar with all the problems that bed and breakfast are facing. So it seemed obvious to me to ask in the biggest B&B forum for some opinions.
I'm interested in getting more opinions and chatting with people who have had experiences.
I appreciate every honest answer. I hope you understand why I'm here and that I don't want to annoy people.
Thank you!
Josh
JoshJ said:
I hope you understand why I'm here and that I don't want to annoy people.
Thank you!
Josh
Sorry Josh, but you still haven't told us what you do and what your skills are! Until we know that, I doubt many will tell you much information.

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
I would think standard protocol when joining in any group where you are not known, an introduction would be in order.
Thank you for telling us Bali. The problems in Bali will be very different than those faced in the States or UK. The problems of doing B & B in New York are VERY different than the problems in West Virginia. Heck, from what I learned in Louisiana in 2006, just going from Parrish to Parrish (like counties) is different rules. Each area has its own problems/challenges. Some can only serve pre-packaged breakfast items. Some can do whatever. I can serve whatever as long as it is only registered guests.

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
JoshJ said:
Thank you!
Josh
Sorry Josh, but you still haven't told us what you do and what your skills are! Until we know that, I doubt many will tell you much information.
I have a lot of experience with online marketing and business turn-arounds. Previously I have mostly been in the health & wellness field. That's how I've earned my money and had the nice opportunity to travel so much and stay in many nice bed and breakfasts and hotels.
I always like to stay in B&Bs because I've experienced that it's often family run and I get to know the family and owner.
I often found myself thinking how to improve the places and had chats with owners about it. That's where I am now. And now I have started working with an owner here in Bali. I'm working with him to improve his newly established business in Bali.
That's my life.
I hope that's enough to know about me to feel free to chat comfortably.

If you don't know then you can't help.
Sorry we can't try to educate the educator. Yes we are bombarded here and every other way possible. Perhaps that is something you can look into. After 10 calls a day telling us we don't know what we are doing, then on social media, email and forums it gets old. You aren't the first...you may be 185th or so, so don't feel bad.

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
I would think standard protocol when joining in any group where you are not known, an introduction would be in order.
Thank you for telling us Bali. The problems in Bali will be very different than those faced in the States or UK. The problems of doing B & B in New York are VERY different than the problems in West Virginia. Heck, from what I learned in Louisiana in 2006, just going from Parrish to Parrish (like counties) is different rules. Each area has its own problems/challenges. Some can only serve pre-packaged breakfast items. Some can do whatever. I can serve whatever as long as it is only registered guests.
Hi,
Thanks, I've realized that now. To be honest I'm not a big forum guy.
I'm aware that there are many differences between a B&B in Bali and other places in the world. But of course there are also many similarities. Everybody's B&B goal is to fill the beds and give the visitors a good experience.
One of the main things I'm working on right now is developing the online reputation for this villa. I guess every place has to face this issue.
I wanted to get some ideas on what challenges B&B owners are facing.
Do you have any insights you'd like to share?

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
Hi,
I'm aware that there are many differences between a B&B in Bali and other places in the world. But of course there are also many similarities. Everybody's B&B goal is to fill the beds and give the visitors a good experience.
One of the main things I'm working on right now is developing the online reputation for this villa. I guess every place has to face this issue.
JoshJ said:
Hi,
May I suggest a poll? You can set up a poll and ask some pointed questions and get a ton of feedback that way. I think that is a great solution.
We are hesitant as we have had this happen so many times here, sorry it comes across harshly. You know the whole once bitten twice shy...saying.
regular_smile.gif

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
Hi,
We have been called Sharks among other things. We try to help when we have ascertained it is a legit question and not "plumbing for content or business". We also get a lot of the "we have always dreamed of.... Now what do we do?" who get angry when we say read books and go to workshops and seminars, read the threads on this Forum...... When we try to rip off the "rose-colored glasses" so they see going into it what work it is. Otherwise we have aided another future disgruntled innkeeper who will give the industry a bad name. Do as JN suggested - post a poll.
Now if you could figure out how to stop the "dead air" phone calls at 1 AM and A|GAIN at 5 AM
BTW - if you are not really a Forum person, how did you expect to get answers from a Forum?

Thanks Camberley....
that would be another challenge we face - to many external people both customers and business see us as a bunch of amateurs - and it comes across badly ie I use a laundry service ie sheets, towels etc all belong to them, they deliver twice a week and if anything has a hole or a mark on it - I just reject them and don't have to pay for them - I have enough to do so this works very well for us.
So chap from well known electrical brand with a shop in town emails me - you are such an idiot, why don't you do your own laundry it will be much cheaper! you should get our washers and dryers and get with the program -
I am one of the more placid innkeepers on here as you will come to know - but I tore a fricking strip off him! if his attitude had been, have you thought about this? or are you thinking about this? I wouldn't have minded but for someone who has no experience of the industry (against mine and my husbands 37 years) to dare tell me how to run my business got my wool up I can tell you! (wool up is an English expression for really cross)
Also anyone who uses the phrase "its actually really nice here!!" well what did you think it was going to be like? and if so why did you book? and we do have an extensive web site and reviews?
Also huge challenge you will face is making people read anything! I am sure everyone on here will back me up!

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
JoshJ said:
Thank you!
Josh
I have a lot of experience with online marketing and business turn-arounds. Previously I have mostly been in the health & wellness field. That's how I've earned my money and had the nice opportunity to travel so much and stay in many nice bed and breakfasts and hotels.
I always like to stay in B&Bs because I've experienced that it's often family run and I get to know the family and owner.
I often found myself thinking how to improve the places and had chats with owners about it. That's where I am now. And now I have started working with an owner here in Bali. I'm working with him to improve his newly established business in Bali.
That's my life.
I find this very insulting that an outsider, never an innkeeper would try to improve something he knows nothing about other than from guests perspective.

If you don't know then you can't help.
Sorry we can't try to educate the educator. Yes we are bombarded here and every other way possible. Perhaps that is something you can look into. After 10 calls a day telling us we don't know what we are doing, then on social media, email and forums it gets old. You aren't the first...you may be 185th or so, so don't feel bad..
Knowledge is power-what we know came with hard work and sweat. This forum is not a free info to "experts" or marketers but a support and friendly advice to innkeepers-friends.

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
JoshJ said:
Thank you!
Josh
That's my life.
I find this very insulting that an outsider, never an innkeeper would try to improve something he knows nothing about other than from guests perspective.
April said:
Thank you, April, for putting the right word to it. We get guests all the time who KNOW what we SHOULD do to improve our businesses who have no clue what we actually do. My favorites are the marketing suggestions who know absolutely nothing about costs of ads and what goes into marketing. And then there is the how I should operate the business......

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
JoshJ said:
Thank you!
Josh
That's my life.
April said:
Thank you, April, for putting the right word to it. We get guests all the time who KNOW what we SHOULD do to improve our businesses who have no clue what we actually do. My favorites are the marketing suggestions who know absolutely nothing about costs of ads and what goes into marketing. And then there is the how I should operate the business......
Do not get me started on that one! guests who know so much better than you what you should do!
Its the ones that say I should play a radio in my breakfast room - when I inform them I would need 2 liscences to do so at a cost of $1200 and that I feel the money would be better spent on renovations they are astounded!

Thanks Camberley....
Thank you!
Josh
JoshJ said:
Thank you!
Josh
That's my life.
April said:
Do not get me started on that one! guests who know so much better than you what you should do!
Its the ones that say I should play a radio in my breakfast room - when I inform them I would need 2 liscences to do so at a cost of $1200 and that I feel the money would be better spent on renovations they are astounded!
Why do you need a license to play a radio? I'm really interested.
But in the same vein, I get similar 'suggestions' about breakfast and tell people we are not a licensed restaurant. And my favorite was, 'you reallly should update the bathrooms. The fixtures are old fashioned.' Yes, I know. As I just mentioned, we've lived here a total of 4 weeks. We will get to those pesky bathrooms in week 6. LOL

Back