Are you in control of your business?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, right now my business is in control of me, but only since the recession hit, so I do what I have to do to keep it running and to keep some money coming in and to keep my guests happy.

I don't think I've ever felt in control of this business. Not sure if it's me or just the nature of it. When it rains it pours here, so busy with people. Then the cricket season comes and it's just hoping to pay the bills. I've been watching all these improvement shows (Salon Takeover, Restaurant Impossible) and I'm starting to think I need someone with a totally fresh perspective to come here and tell me what I could do better. I talk to my friends and family and they are unanimous in their "I don't know how you do that, I would kill someone" mentality so they are no help!

i think it is sometimes easier to see if from the outside than when you are doing it on the inside. It is why I like going on classes and things cos I come home all fired up with ideas and enthusiasm. For example we have a tourism event in Leeds called Y11 which is all about how we are going to advertise Yorkshire to the world and how we can all work together to do it. A lot of it is hype but it does make you excited about where you live and how to sell it to others and therefore charges you up for a new year. I went last year to Y10 and met tons of really interesting people and had ideas! so it is worth leaving the parents in charge for a day! It is all about regaining perspective.
Also you could email channel 5 they are looking for candidates for Hotel Inspector just depends if you are brave enough and the publicity is excellent. (They do B&B's) it is something to consider.

As my son always asks, 'Do you run the business or does it run you?' And the answer is and ever will be, 'It runs me.' We just don't know enough to do it the other way around.

Plus I forgot to say "Today I am running my busines tomorro is a completely different story!"

Since my business depends on when the phone rings or the e-mail coughs up a rez, it controls me however, I control when I am available to take those calls or e-mails as bookings - ie June 2011 nope! nada! I gone!!!
I actually have DH almost convinced to let me take him to Iowa to the kids for the month. And truthfully I would co9nsider an innsitter except for two things - #1 he would NEVER consider allowing someone in OUR space and #2 to get that area fit for a normal human to exist in is too daunting to even consider. It will be bad enough when I have to can clear it out in the some day when the stars are aligned properly to put it on the market.

Back