Are you really full?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
What does that mean to a guest? Maybe I like to block off all the days on my calendar to get people to call and beg to stay here? Maybe I'm keeping a room back for just the right caller? What the hell is there to do there in the winter that all of your rooms are taken? What am I missing because I didn't bother to try to book until the day before?
I don't get it. There are 30 other rooms going begging and they're emailing and calling me to ask if I'm really full? And they don't identify themselves so maybe it's a repeat and I just don't remember that discomom is a long-time guests email. (OK, I would remember that one...)

We are remodeling and thankfully thought to block off more days than I thought the room was supposed to be down. Murphy's Law at work here.

They are transferring to a B&B their thought that hotels will always have a cancellation, that for a big enough tip a full restaurant can always find an empty table, etc.
So maybe for a big enough tip, offer them YOUR room and you go to a motel that night!

Some people never check online. Or they assume that in the low season you will always have a room available.
We find that in the winter many people won't book but a week ahead and they assume that everyone else does as well. Sometimes they are disappointed that way.

Some people never check online. Or they assume that in the low season you will always have a room available.
We find that in the winter many people won't book but a week ahead and they assume that everyone else does as well. Sometimes they are disappointed that way..
They must have checked online because they mentioned the calendar was full.

We find that in the winter many people won't book but a week ahead and they assume that everyone else does as well. Sometimes they are disappointed that way..
They must have checked online because they mentioned the calendar was full.
There are always people like that. Just tell them that you can put them on your nonexistent waitlist.

That's a nice feature of ResKey. If you're full on the dates they search, it offers them a "put me on the waiting list for this date" button. That MIGHT cut down on some of the ones who don't believe you're really full.
Nah, probably not!

Are these bonafide potential guests? Or is there a chance that someone is fishing to see why you are booked and they aren't? We all know that it's happened...

Are these bonafide potential guests? Or is there a chance that someone is fishing to see why you are booked and they aren't? We all know that it's happened....
Samster said:
Are these bonafide potential guests? Or is there a chance that someone is fishing to see why you are booked and they aren't? We all know that it's happened...
We have a group website here so we all know at a glance who has what openings. And we generally tell each other about vacations (so we can keep an eye on each others' buildings). Everyone who would care to know already knows we're plain old closed in Jan. (Heck, they see us doing the happy dance while we're changing out the vacancy sign!)
So, yeah, bona fide callers and emailers.

They are transferring to a B&B their thought that hotels will always have a cancellation, that for a big enough tip a full restaurant can always find an empty table, etc.
So maybe for a big enough tip, offer them YOUR room and you go to a motel that night!.
Arkansawyer said:
So maybe for a big enough tip, offer them YOUR room and you go to a motel that night!
my thoughts exactly. hotel mentality.

We are remodeling and thankfully thought to block off more days than I thought the room was supposed to be down. Murphy's Law at work here..
honey I have my remodel coming - plumber said 2 and a half weeks - ive blocked off 4 weeks - don't give a monkeys what they say!
We have this "are you really full?" crap alot as well as his twin brother "but I only want a single" if we have a busy conference on there will not be a bed in town - they just don't get it! we are showing as full because we are full!

Back in the day when I worked at that chain as a relief night auditor, I would get people coming in at 3 AM totally disbelieving me when I said I was full. One idiot actually said to me, "You mean to tell me that if the President of the United States came in you would not have a room for him?" I replied, yes sir unless he was willing to take a couch in the conference room. The moron still did not believe me as he left. This was in the summer though. Once in winter, I had perhaps 10 rooms occupied in the 203 room hotel and someone came in at 2 AM for a room. Within 5 minutes, he was back at the desk - that room was occupied (it was empty according to the board!). What are the odds?

Back