Are you room rates where they should be?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
How did you arrive at your room rates? Do you base them on others on the forum or others in the area? Apples and oranges?
Do you have the amenities to charge more than another B&B in your area or near your area? How do you quantify this?

When I opened, there was a B & B in the county seat and I called and asked how much her rooms were. I knew she had private baths - so I set my rates at $5 less for the room with queen bed and $10 less for the rooms with full-size. 10 years later I put in the private bath. I raised my rates every couple years by a few dollars. By the time I did the private bath the rates were up to $80 & $90. In the last 4 years I took them to $95 & $129 - a large enough price gap that if they are looking for rate I have one but usually the private bath is rented first. But there have been some that wanted price point... Every so often I call areound to the hotels to check rates. I am a bit more than H/I but I get people who do not want a hotel so it does not matter. Reminds me that I should do the price check again soon.

I think so.
I went to the DBCH (decent big chain hotel)'s website, used their online booking calendar, and created a spreadsheet of their prices...
=)
Kk.

We checked with the local B&Bs and boutique hotels here and charged what the similar rooms charge. We give a few more amenities with the rooms, but frankly the rates here are so expensive that I felt like I had to give them something for quality of stay. Again, we still have only two rooms. When we do get up to five I may have to work harder on portion control but hope to keep the amenities.
RIki

We checked with the local B&Bs and boutique hotels here and charged what the similar rooms charge. We give a few more amenities with the rooms, but frankly the rates here are so expensive that I felt like I had to give them something for quality of stay. Again, we still have only two rooms. When we do get up to five I may have to work harder on portion control but hope to keep the amenities.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I think it is easier for portion control with more guests or more rooms. You know, spread the love around, sort of thing. IE make spaghetti for one person vs a group, more economic for a group. Quality is good!
teeth_smile.gif

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I think it is easier for portion control with more guests or more rooms. You know, spread the love around, sort of thing. IE make spaghetti for one person vs a group, more economic for a group. Quality is good!
teeth_smile.gif

Yes, we figure we'll make more money and spend less with 5 rather than 2 rooms.
Riki

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
teeth_smile.gif

Riki
You will.
You'll be amazed at how much less work it is than you'd think to more than double the number of guests.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
teeth_smile.gif

Riki
You will.
You'll be amazed at how much less work it is than you'd think to more than double the number of guests.
Innkeeper To Go said:
You will.
That is my theory and experience, you have to do the same things with two rooms as five or six. It is like the one night stay vs the two - I would rather give a discount to the two nighter as the work is so much less in cleaning and flipping the room! Almost like a holiday!

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
teeth_smile.gif

Riki
You will.
Innkeeper To Go said:
You will.
That is my theory and experience, you have to do the same things with two rooms as five or six. It is like the one night stay vs the two - I would rather give a discount to the two nighter as the work is so much less in cleaning and flipping the room! Almost like a holiday!
If you double your guests and they're predominantly all one night stays, you'll definitely feel the additional work of flipping all those rooms, more check-ins, paperwork, etc. There are many tasks that you have to do whether you have 2 rooms or six though.
I think with the size of your place and mine and working mostly on our own, the key to less work is longer stays. :) Once guests were here, they became very self-sufficient.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
teeth_smile.gif

Riki
You will.
Innkeeper To Go said:
You will.
Joey Bloggs said:
Exactly.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
teeth_smile.gif

Riki
You will.
Innkeeper To Go said:
You will.
If you double your guests and they're predominantly all one night stays, you'll definitely feel the additional work of flipping all those rooms, more check-ins, paperwork, etc. There are many tasks that you have to do whether you have 2 rooms or six though.
I think with the size of your place and mine and working mostly on our own, the key to less work is longer stays. :) Once guests were here, they became very self-sufficient.
Samster said:
We are all in this area fotunate that we can require two night stays on the weekends. With all the wineries and history here we usually get two night stays even during the week. Most of our one night stays during the week also book our wine tour which is like another room night, and gives us the extra cash to call in our wonderful innsitters who help me turn the rooms so I don't get burnt out. I'm still working at UVA during the week until we have the other wing up and figure we can afford the health insurance I'll be able to take with me when I leave.
Riki

We checked the prices of the other B&B's and hotels in the area and set our prices from there, raising them slightly over the years. A few years ago one of the B&B's a few town away recommended that we raise our rates. We did and our business continued to grow.

Back