Are You Willing to Share An Embarrassing but Funny Story About You As an Inn Owner?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
We just had a short visit with an inn-mate and were sharing some stories. Since we're now closed, I was thinking that I won't have any really funny stories anymore.
cry_smile.gif

Anyone willing to share a story that happened to you as an inn owner that might have been embarrassing for you but was still funny? (Someone here mentioned over sleeping and re-thinking breakfast.) We can learn from these!
I always had an irrational fear of getting caught in my pajamas when I was wandering around late at night.....

Worse than the Missus Robinson story?
Other than that will have to wait til I am officially out of the business to add some true life stories as well.
What about you? Are you able to share some now?

Worse than the Missus Robinson story?
Other than that will have to wait til I am officially out of the business to add some true life stories as well.
What about you? Are you able to share some now?.
You can always change the names to protect the guilty. I'm trying to think of stories to tell on myself. :)

The worst things happen when I cook. The first day of Gomez's 4 week recovery I burnt the pancakes. Guest insisted he LOVED crispy pancakes and he still emails me now and then. Another time I poured out some milk for guests' coffee and it was turned. She told me to make sour milk pancakes and to not worry.
Another time I was giving a tour of the inn to the GM at the HGI and when I opened the door of one room I realized we'd totally forgotten to clean it.
Calling guests by the wrong name is always embarrassing. But worse is not remembering their names at all even tho they've been here 4 times. He always make the rez and never puts her name in. And she talks to me like we're old friends.

Other than dropping a casserole dish fresh from the oven on the arm of a guest? None comes to mind.
I had to DRAG him to the kitchen to get cold water and first aid cream on his arm. He then disappeared - he went upstairs and changed his shirt which he washed out in the tub rather than let me wash it for him. I have not made spinach egg bake since - and it was a wonderful recipe. Oh, they came bake 7 years later and I discounted their room AND the room of their friends who traveled with them this trip. They understood I was so new (and broke) that I could not comp their stay as I should (and wanted to) have. Gotta love my Shinns coming back to their roots.

This is not my story - it belongs to a dear friend whose DH did the B & B because she wanted to - OK they would try it.
They have 2 rooms and the bathroom is across the hall. Guests - Mother & teen daughter check in while he is at work. He comes home and goes to the OQ to change out of work clothes. As he exits into the hall, teen girl exits bathroom in bra, panties, and towel wrapped around hair. She says "hello", he says, "hello" as she goes into room and he goes into kitchen where he says to my friend, "I think I am going to like this business." That was almost 12 years ago.

This happened to innkeepers we know (I would never say it happened to us). A mother reserved a room for her daughter’s honeymoon night. Check in day, the house help was waiting for sheets to dry and she hears the owners giving an unexpected tour so she hurries and makes the bed with no sheets. She later forgets to remake the bed. Honeymooners spend the night and the owner goes in to clean the room the next day because the house help had the day off. The owner cannot believe the guests took the sheets. She calls the mother and politely explained the situation and the mother is in disbelief that her daughter took the sheets. The daughter had flown on to Hawaii to finish the honeymoon so the mother was out of touch for a few days. Meanwhile, the house help returns and realizes what she had done so the owner had to call the mother back and apologize. They both had a good laugh. The owner sent the newlyweds a gift certificate for not having sheets. Later, when they redeemed the certificate, they said “WE NEVER EVEN NOTICED THERE WERE NOT SHEETS ON THE BED”. Go figure.

This happened to innkeepers we know (I would never say it happened to us). A mother reserved a room for her daughter’s honeymoon night. Check in day, the house help was waiting for sheets to dry and she hears the owners giving an unexpected tour so she hurries and makes the bed with no sheets. She later forgets to remake the bed. Honeymooners spend the night and the owner goes in to clean the room the next day because the house help had the day off. The owner cannot believe the guests took the sheets. She calls the mother and politely explained the situation and the mother is in disbelief that her daughter took the sheets. The daughter had flown on to Hawaii to finish the honeymoon so the mother was out of touch for a few days. Meanwhile, the house help returns and realizes what she had done so the owner had to call the mother back and apologize. They both had a good laugh. The owner sent the newlyweds a gift certificate for not having sheets. Later, when they redeemed the certificate, they said “WE NEVER EVEN NOTICED THERE WERE NOT SHEETS ON THE BED”. Go figure.
That is a good one!
We did room service from time to time for a small fee. I had gotten the tray all together for my dh to take to a room in our second house. I am working away in the kitchen getting breakfast ready for all the rest of the guests who will be served in the dining room. I hear a crash! Thinking it sounded like it came from the dining room, I go look and there's no one there. No one on our front porch. No sounds from upstairs. So, I decide it must have been my imagination and go back to the kitchen.
A minute or so later, there's a knock on the outside door near the kitchen and when I answer there's one of our repeat guests at the door. She says, "Sam, do you have a dish towel or something? I figured that I'd better come get some help for your dh when you didn't show up after he tripped on the stairs!"
I race next door and my dh announces that he is fine and proudly states, "I only lost the juice and the juice glasses!" Meanwhile, the guest had gone into my laundry room and gotten all the things to clean up the mess on the porch and came back to help us. Fortunately, the laundry room and kitchen were not disaster areas. haha.
The guests receiving the tray never knew anything happened after we replaced their juice and the other guests never said a word to anybody.
They are coming back to town in a few weeks and I had to refer them somewhere else. :-(
But now that I'm not a "business" anymore, I could invite them to come by for a glass of wine! :)

That is a good one!
We did room service from time to time for a small fee. I had gotten the tray all together for my dh to take to a room in our second house. I am working away in the kitchen getting breakfast ready for all the rest of the guests who will be served in the dining room. I hear a crash! Thinking it sounded like it came from the dining room, I go look and there's no one there. No one on our front porch. No sounds from upstairs. So, I decide it must have been my imagination and go back to the kitchen.
A minute or so later, there's a knock on the outside door near the kitchen and when I answer there's one of our repeat guests at the door. She says, "Sam, do you have a dish towel or something? I figured that I'd better come get some help for your dh when you didn't show up after he tripped on the stairs!"
I race next door and my dh announces that he is fine and proudly states, "I only lost the juice and the juice glasses!" Meanwhile, the guest had gone into my laundry room and gotten all the things to clean up the mess on the porch and came back to help us. Fortunately, the laundry room and kitchen were not disaster areas. haha.
The guests receiving the tray never knew anything happened after we replaced their juice and the other guests never said a word to anybody.
They are coming back to town in a few weeks and I had to refer them somewhere else. :-(
But now that I'm not a "business" anymore, I could invite them to come by for a glass of wine! :)
Samster said:
Maybe you posted this somewhere else and I missed it, and maybe it's none of my business. But if you still have all the rooms and supplies and everything set, why be closed? Wouldn't it be easier to sell as an open and operating inn?
Just wonderin'
=)
Kk.

That is a good one!
Samster said:
I guess I missed it too....I'm sorry!
sad_smile.gif
You have such a beautiful place!!!!!!!!

That is a good one!
Samster said:
Maybe you posted this somewhere else and I missed it, and maybe it's none of my business. But if you still have all the rooms and supplies and everything set, why be closed? Wouldn't it be easier to sell as an open and operating inn?
Just wonderin'
=)
Kk.
No. We want to live in our house!

That is a good one!
Samster said:
I guess I missed it too....I'm sorry!
sad_smile.gif
You have such a beautiful place!!!!!!!!
No need to be sorry. It's a good decision. :) And thanks! We like it here....

Back