Area B&Bs find ways to survive slump

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Area B&Bs find ways to survive slump[/FONT]
Daytona Beach News-Journal
By LAURA BOWDEN YANG If the term "bed and breakfast" evokes images of quaint New England towns or Charleston's harbor, it's time to add new snapshots to ...

Good article - comment to the other thread on "ideas for the year"...small weddings to stay afloat.

I didn't read the article but as I mentioned in another post somewhere, I have a friend who is actually focusing on being an event venue and not even really marketing her B&B rooms. Her occupancy in 2009 was awful.

That is the county my Daddy lived in when he was a snowbird. My niece now has his house.

We stayed with friends in New Smyrna several years ago. She lost her inn due to foreclosure :-(
I know several innkeepers who are doing private elopement ceremonies or very small wedding ceremony ( 10 and under) They provide the ceremony, cake and sparkling cider, room for a night or two......sometimes, and that is it. But doing very well with it I might add though things are pretty slow right now.

We stayed with friends in New Smyrna several years ago. She lost her inn due to foreclosure :-(
I know several innkeepers who are doing private elopement ceremonies or very small wedding ceremony ( 10 and under) They provide the ceremony, cake and sparkling cider, room for a night or two......sometimes, and that is it. But doing very well with it I might add though things are pretty slow right now..
I think the small wedding/elopement packages are going to be more and more popular with brides, too, who aren't going to be spending big bucks on big weddings.

I think the elopement packages can be very romantic. The setting moreso than many weddings! Just not fond of the name. Small private wedding or something would sound nicer.

I think the elopement packages can be very romantic. The setting moreso than many weddings! Just not fond of the name. Small private wedding or something would sound nicer..
I agree. It's not really an elopement anyway.
And intimate private wedding or small private wedding sounds so much more special. As it should.
Small wedding or not, it's a big day. I think it deserves a nice name.

I think the elopement packages can be very romantic. The setting moreso than many weddings! Just not fond of the name. Small private wedding or something would sound nicer..
And intimate private wedding or small private wedding sounds so much more special. As it should.
Innkeeper To Go said:
If I did the small wedding, I would do the renewing of vows as well, in a package. Just some fodder for anyone considering it.
I left here took a kid to orthodontist and began thinking of a small wedding and got all stressed. I thought about the gardens looking their best, inviting 10 of their guests - parking, then check in of other guests - public 'facilities' for them, would they need to check in early or be a two night min so they have a place to get dressed. Then the marriage certificate - that needs to be dealt with/filed. Photos. Cake and cider. Flowers. Music. So it all grew bigger and bigger in my mind - out of control and scared me off. I am such a sook!
Funny thing and how convenient our next door neighbor is a minister. We also have two churches within one block from us - ie ministers. Then I thought, no they won't do it, they would require premarital counselling, and etc etc and talked myself right out of it some more.
We have different folks use our property for photos all the time - proms, weddings, and the guests 'checked in' here always enjoy it, they never seem to be bothered. Even though parents, aunts, siblings take over our entire property for an hour when they do it. So thought I would mention that in case someone on the forum is considering this and thinks the OTHER guests might be put out, they don't seem to be, they seem to enjoy the gala event. It is short lived and then they enjoy their wedding night.

Innkeeper To Go said:
If I did the small wedding, I would do the renewing of vows as well, in a package. Just some fodder for anyone considering it.
I left here took a kid to orthodontist and began thinking of a small wedding and got all stressed. I thought about the gardens looking their best, inviting 10 of their guests - parking, then check in of other guests - public 'facilities' for them, would they need to check in early or be a two night min so they have a place to get dressed. Then the marriage certificate - that needs to be dealt with/filed. Photos. Cake and cider. Flowers. Music. So it all grew bigger and bigger in my mind - out of control and scared me off. I am such a sook!
Funny thing and how convenient our next door neighbor is a minister. We also have two churches within one block from us - ie ministers. Then I thought, no they won't do it, they would require premarital counselling, and etc etc and talked myself right out of it some more.
We have different folks use our property for photos all the time - proms, weddings, and the guests 'checked in' here always enjoy it, they never seem to be bothered. Even though parents, aunts, siblings take over our entire property for an hour when they do it. So thought I would mention that in case someone on the forum is considering this and thinks the OTHER guests might be put out, they don't seem to be, they seem to enjoy the gala event. It is short lived and then they enjoy their wedding night.
Joey Bloggs said:
I am thinking of the two person wedding mostly. My friend who's been doing them for some time has had a big success with them. I've already had inquiries for them. These are usually older people and many are second marriages. Many are just back from the war. The photos are beautiful and she has a great time with them.
What you are talking about is a formal wedding for 10. I'm more looking for some people who don't want all that - just want to get married somewhere pretty and avoid all the hassle of a regular wedding.
RIki

Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I am thinking of the two person wedding mostly. My friend who's been doing them for some time has had a big success with them. I've already had inquiries for them. These are usually older people and many are second marriages. Many are just back from the war. The photos are beautiful and she has a great time with them.
What you are talking about is a formal wedding for 10. I'm more looking for some people who don't want all that - just want to get married somewhere pretty and avoid all the hassle of a regular wedding.
RIki
I probably shared my friends link before..can't remember, but take a look at these and see what he does. He does loads of them. Elopements and vow renewals for anniversaries. Very popular. We have another B & B nearby who really specialized in them....they did hundreds......till they decided to put the place up for sale and move back to Europe.

Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
RIki
I probably shared my friends link before..can't remember, but take a look at these and see what he does. He does loads of them. Elopements and vow renewals for anniversaries. Very popular. We have another B & B nearby who really specialized in them....they did hundreds......till they decided to put the place up for sale and move back to Europe.
I love the memories robes. Very clever idea. Do you know if they have their own embroidery machine or if they order those out?

Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
RIki
I love the memories robes. Very clever idea. Do you know if they have their own embroidery machine or if they order those out?
They have their own machine. The wife does the robes.

Innkeeper To Go said:
Joey Bloggs said:
RIki
sorry duplicate post deleted.

Back