Area man accused of reckless shooting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Area man accused of reckless shooting[/FONT]
Rutland Herald
Akroyd shot and killed a deer that was standing in the yard of Carol's Hilltop Bed and Breakfast on Brownsville-Hartland Road. The owners of the bed and ...

Area man accused of reckless shooting[/h4]
BROWNSVILLE — A Tunbridge man will face charges he endangered the lives of local business owners while deer hunting.
Saturday, Fish & Wildlife wardens cited George Akroyd, 52, for reckless endangerment, shooting from the road and driving with a suspended license.
According to Fish & Wildlife, Nov. 16, Akroyd shot and killed a deer that was standing in the yard of Carol's Hilltop Bed and Breakfast on Brownsville-Hartland Road. The owners of the bed and breakfast were walking their dog in the yard and Akroyd allegedly fired his gun in their general direction while on the road.
Three witnesses reported the incident and in recent weeks more people forward with additional information identifying Akroyd as the alleged shooter, according to Fish & Wildlife.

By Jeezum, those crazy Vermonters! Everyone knows you can't shoot a deer from the road.

but hunters get hunting fever. i've seen it in mass. and in maine. shooting from trucks. shooting when they spot movement even though they're supposed to be able to see what they're shooting at. in november, in maine, a hunter shot and killed a dog that a woman was walking on her own property. on nantucket, we have problems with hunters moving in and out of residential areas and in and out of where they can hunt and where they can't. i am confused about where it's allowed. i went out there to check my storage unit, then went for a walk on one of the many beaches. a hunter came rushing after a deer that bounded out of the sand dunes. i ran for cover. during hunting season, please be extra careful!

Our breakfast tables overlook a wide river gorge. The opposite bank of the river is wooded and hunters start up about 5 AM. It has been unsettling to me and a few of our guests to stand in front of the windows with the sound of gunfire in the distance. Our house is 90 years old and most of the glass is original -- no signs of bullet holes yet. I'm hopeful that we are out of range for an errant bullet!

Lord have mercy. The French would shoot any animal moving in the countryside, no matter whose yard it was in. Of course, there are not a whole lot of wild animals still moving around anywhere in France and maybe that's why.
DH is a Frenchman and whenever we see a deer just standing somewhere (which is pretty often) he ALWAYS comments with disbelief that no one has come and followed the French example and taken home their dinner. Thanks for the article JB. Now I have something to actually show him as to why we don't!

Our breakfast tables overlook a wide river gorge. The opposite bank of the river is wooded and hunters start up about 5 AM. It has been unsettling to me and a few of our guests to stand in front of the windows with the sound of gunfire in the distance. Our house is 90 years old and most of the glass is original -- no signs of bullet holes yet. I'm hopeful that we are out of range for an errant bullet!.
tedwin said:
Our breakfast tables overlook a wide river gorge. The opposite bank of the river is wooded and hunters start up about 5 AM. It has been unsettling to me and a few of our guests to stand in front of the windows with the sound of gunfire in the distance. Our house is 90 years old and most of the glass is original -- no signs of bullet holes yet. I'm hopeful that we are out of range for an errant bullet!
Please make sure they realize it is hunting season and to not go into the woods without hunter orange on, and better yet not go into the woods! We had a hunting accident with a death here a couple weeks ago, a beautiful young senior college student shot and killed, very sad.
The deer are so over populated in this state that there are tons of accidents on the roads from the deer. They hunt them for food here, so we are happy they can do that. A bullet can travel a long way, be careful!

And I served venison brats to my guests this morning at 6 AM! Horse people who said they will probably be back in 3 months. Canadians going to Florida for 3 months and taking their 3 horses and dog with them. Doggie used the truck for his B & B last night.
Deer now have no natural enemies except cars and trucks. They adapt to eat anything. Landscaping that was once touted as "deer safe" is no longer. The landscaping world is trying harder to find vegetation deer will not eat than the weapons world is trying to out-do each other. Rather than crying for Bambi, the hunters - hunting safely and sensibly of course - should be thanked for the lives they save by taking the deer for food so it will not kill a motorcyclist or a family when the car hits it and wrecks. It is also more humane than starvation - and this year the mast was down so there will be hunger (or more landscaping for dinner).
We have a program here called hunters for the hungry. The deer are taken to butchers who process it for the food banks (process it for cost). The program is always in need of donations to pay for the processing. All the hunters I know will not take a deer unless they have someone wanting the meat.

And I served venison brats to my guests this morning at 6 AM! Horse people who said they will probably be back in 3 months. Canadians going to Florida for 3 months and taking their 3 horses and dog with them. Doggie used the truck for his B & B last night.
Deer now have no natural enemies except cars and trucks. They adapt to eat anything. Landscaping that was once touted as "deer safe" is no longer. The landscaping world is trying harder to find vegetation deer will not eat than the weapons world is trying to out-do each other. Rather than crying for Bambi, the hunters - hunting safely and sensibly of course - should be thanked for the lives they save by taking the deer for food so it will not kill a motorcyclist or a family when the car hits it and wrecks. It is also more humane than starvation - and this year the mast was down so there will be hunger (or more landscaping for dinner).
We have a program here called hunters for the hungry. The deer are taken to butchers who process it for the food banks (process it for cost). The program is always in need of donations to pay for the processing. All the hunters I know will not take a deer unless they have someone wanting the meat..
gillumhouse said:
Deer now have no natural enemies except cars and trucks.
Actually out here the mountain lions find them to be tasty morsels.

We have a program here called hunters for the hungry. The deer are taken to butchers who process it for the food banks (process it for cost). The program is always in need of donations to pay for the processing. All the hunters I know will not take a deer unless they have someone wanting the meat..
gillumhouse said:
We do not have enough bobcats and mountain lions left to keep up with the deer population. Deer here are so blase that you round a curve and see a couple of them munching away. They lift their heads long enough to give you the "what are you looking at" look. If you had your arm out the window of the car, you would touch the deer.
It is even worse in Illinois in the Forest Preserves. There are so many houses hemming in the preserves and so many Bambi-ites the overpopulation is horrible. Every time the DNR wants to go in and thin the heard there are screams of protest. And then the screams go up about lost landscaping, deer going through plate glass windows at the strip malls, car wrecks, etc but no one is smart enough to equate this damage being avoided by thinning the herd. They have started doing limited bow hunting in some of our cities in the wooded areas.

I don't know if I told this or not, but back in November or so we had a young deer hit by a car out front. In less than 5 minutes, 2 women came from nowhere, picked the deer up and carried it off.

gillumhouse said:
We do not have enough bobcats and mountain lions left to keep up with the deer population. Deer here are so blase that you round a curve and see a couple of them munching away. They lift their heads long enough to give you the "what are you looking at" look. If you had your arm out the window of the car, you would touch the deer.
It is even worse in Illinois in the Forest Preserves. There are so many houses hemming in the preserves and so many Bambi-ites the overpopulation is horrible. Every time the DNR wants to go in and thin the heard there are screams of protest. And then the screams go up about lost landscaping, deer going through plate glass windows at the strip malls, car wrecks, etc but no one is smart enough to equate this damage being avoided by thinning the herd. They have started doing limited bow hunting in some of our cities in the wooded areas.
There was a story on the DC news the other night about a family who resuced and adopted a bambi......the thing is now full grown, lives in their house, has it's own bed and bedroom and it potty trained!!!! Come on folks.......get a dog for pete's sake.

gillumhouse said:
There was a story on the DC news the other night about a family who resuced and adopted a bambi......the thing is now full grown, lives in their house, has it's own bed and bedroom and it potty trained!!!! Come on folks.......get a dog for pete's sake.
Illegal here. Wild game is to be left alone - until hunting season! Our hunters are conservationists because next season's meat depends on it.

gillumhouse said:
That is just completely crazy!

gillumhouse said:
An innkeeper not far from me did the same thing, her place is for sale now as a Gentleman's farm as it is on acres and fenced for horses - you know which one I mean CL. Anyway, it was an orphaned fawn she had it following her around the farm for years.

gillumhouse said:
An innkeeper not far from me did the same thing, her place is for sale now as a Gentleman's farm as it is on acres and fenced for horses - you know which one I mean CL. Anyway, it was an orphaned fawn she had it following her around the farm for years.
An orphan fawn being tended to on a farm is one thing. Raising it indoors is crazy!

gillumhouse said:
No. not the one I mean..this was in the CITY!! Showed the deer walking around in the house, making itself at home, going up the steps to the second floor bedroom and laying down on it's bed:-(

gillumhouse said:
An orphan fawn being tended to on a farm is one thing. Raising it indoors is crazy!
oh yeah it lived outside and walked with to feed the horses and livestock etc.

Back