Arghhh Ruined Sheets with Purple Massage Oil!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Smurf

Reaction score
What would you do? These are high end $75 sheets, guests are here on a two night stay, and when fluffing their room and making their bed discovered they are totally runined with dye! We don't dare put on another set of sheets and removed all our high end blankets, comforters etc and replaced with others we can live with out. Do we say anything about the ruined sheets? In seven years of business we have never had folks so disrespectful.

oh Lovely! Just googled him and he's a lawyer, and he's NOT here with his wife.

M. Smirf, Just sent you a private message. If it is what I believe, it will come out with a little extra help. Use an Oxy pre wash stain remover, let soak in and then rub, and wash. If the stain is not totally out, go back through the same process. I haven't lost anything yet to that purple stuff.

How about simply asking if you can see the packaging, so you can see if there are washing instructions. That will clue him in without any accusations.

Well, definitely oil and we just left stained sheets on bed. We never change sheets unless a three night stay or more. And as I said we have very high end down blankets, mattalesse coverlets, and expensive comforters that we removed and substituted with cotton blankets and a topper we don't use anymore. They are going to know we noticed. These sheets are very high end jacquard custom matching the room and can't be replaced. There is all kinds other ughy stuff in the room. Like a bottle of nail polish remover I found lying on a custom wool rug, an electric foot water bath, tons of Vickie Secret bags, rose petals. Demanded to have gas fire place on for ambiance even though turned off for summer. Bunch of other PITA stuff.

Well, definitely oil and we just left stained sheets on bed. We never change sheets unless a three night stay or more. And as I said we have very high end down blankets, mattalesse coverlets, and expensive comforters that we removed and substituted with cotton blankets and a topper we don't use anymore. They are going to know we noticed. These sheets are very high end jacquard custom matching the room and can't be replaced. There is all kinds other ughy stuff in the room. Like a bottle of nail polish remover I found lying on a custom wool rug, an electric foot water bath, tons of Vickie Secret bags, rose petals. Demanded to have gas fire place on for ambiance even though turned off for summer. Bunch of other PITA stuff..
I hope they're silk rose petals. If not, get them out of there, they will stain.

oh Lovely! Just googled him and he's a lawyer, and he's NOT here with his wife..
Oh - now that's funny!!
devil_smile.gif
I always worry about that when I call to verify check-in times or want to call previous guests to update them on the new ownership. Never know who's taking a vacation from everything (and everyone!)

A couple of weeks ago I had some cyclists staying with us for a race. One crashed pretty bad and took decent chunk out of his knee. His sheets were a bit bloody in the morning (soaked through the mattress pad and onto the mattress). I poured hydrogen peroxide directly on it and let it soak and it all came right out.
I find it hard to believe they would make a massage oil that stains, it just defys logic. So hopefully it'll wash right out. Good luck with the PITA's.

A couple of weeks ago I had some cyclists staying with us for a race. One crashed pretty bad and took decent chunk out of his knee. His sheets were a bit bloody in the morning (soaked through the mattress pad and onto the mattress). I poured hydrogen peroxide directly on it and let it soak and it all came right out.
I find it hard to believe they would make a massage oil that stains, it just defys logic. So hopefully it'll wash right out. Good luck with the PITA's..
Sidetrack alert... you might want to look into mattress protectors that are impermeable. No sense in having to charge someone $900 to replace a mattress when a $30 mattress cover will do the trick. (And, yes, we learned that one the hard way.)

I find it hard to believe they would make a massage oil that stains, it just defys logic. So hopefully it'll wash right out. Good luck with the PITA's..
Miss O'Hara said:
I find it hard to believe they would make a massage oil that stains, it just defys logic. So hopefully it'll wash right out. Good luck with the PITA's.
The problem with pouring peroxide or any other liquid on a mattress is although the stain may appear to be gone on the surface you have now a stain/germs and fluid deep in the mattress material. Begging for some nasty thing to grow in there. If you do this, and not sure - as in I wouldn't trust it - you need to air that mattress out for some time to make sure everything is dry on the inside. And flip it too, make sure the stain didn't travel to the dark side.
I personally wouldn't want to sleep on a mattress that someone else had bled on, buy new or buy protectors.

Miss O'Hara said:
The problem with pouring peroxide or any other liquid on a mattress is although the stain may appear to be gone on the surface you have now a stain/germs and fluid deep in the mattress material. Begging for some nasty thing to grow in there. If you do this, and not sure - as in I wouldn't trust it - you need to air that mattress out for some time to make sure everything is dry on the inside. And flip it too, make sure the stain didn't travel to the dark side.
I personally wouldn't want to sleep on a mattress that someone else had bled on, buy new or buy protectors.
Weaver said:
One reason I never take the sheet off a bed at a hotel. I do not want to know.

Hydrogen peroxide is excellent for getting blood out and I don't think you'll find many germs that will thrive in hydrogen peroxide. Some may survive it, but not thrive. I wouldn't worry about it being a home for germs.
But certainly use impermeable mattress protectors, and take the sheets off the bed before using the hydrogen peroxide!

Sidetrack alert... you might want to look into mattress protectors that are impermeable. No sense in having to charge someone $900 to replace a mattress when a $30 mattress cover will do the trick. (And, yes, we learned that one the hard way.)
I have waterproof protetors on all my mattresses - glad of this, this week as had a chap wet the bed.
The inspection agencies in the UK don't like them but as I said to them - Are you going to replace my mattress? at 2pm on a sunday when I have a guest comming in that night any time? NO? then Ill be carrying on as I am ta.
Its as I said to my neighbour there is urine, period blood, people who cough up weird stuff, cuts, nose bleeds etc, its a heck of a lot cheaper to just buy a new protector!

I have waterproof protetors on all my mattresses - glad of this, this week as had a chap wet the bed.
The inspection agencies in the UK don't like them but as I said to them - Are you going to replace my mattress? at 2pm on a sunday when I have a guest comming in that night any time? NO? then Ill be carrying on as I am ta.
Its as I said to my neighbour there is urine, period blood, people who cough up weird stuff, cuts, nose bleeds etc, its a heck of a lot cheaper to just buy a new protector!
I have waterproof protetors on all my mattresses - The inspection agencies in the UK don't like them...
Why don't they like them?

I have waterproof protetors on all my mattresses - The inspection agencies in the UK don't like them...
they recon they are sweaty and crinkly - modern ones arnt though

Funny I forgot what this thread was about and I am thinking, who's sweaty and crinkly?
shades_smile.gif

Back