Arguing at the breakfast table

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Had what sounded like a fight breaking out in the dining room this morning. Hissing and talking thru clenched teeth. Asked daughter what it was all about as one partner got up and left the inn during breakfast.
Daughter said it was over the fruit course...pineapple and grapefruit. Apparently I insulted the female of the couple (she is from Hong Kong). She was telling him that Chinese people don't eat those fruits, they are bad for Chinese people, they are poisonous and why would I serve them to her? She was saying, 'Here, YOU eat them. They are not good for Chinese people,' and shoving the fruit dish across the table. He was saying back, 'Oh, they're poisonous for YOU, but it's ok if I eat them?'
And back and forth it went. I almost went over there to tell them to grow up, there are 4 kids in the dining room behaving more like adults than you are. But he left.

Bree,
How odd! Boy do you have a PITA magnet stuck to you this week.
If it's any comfort to your hostessing abilities, one of my favorite traditional Chinese pastries is stuffed with pineapple and China is the world's second largest producer of grapefruit. Maybe it's specific to Hong Kong, but I've never heard anything like that and I've seen Chinese friends who were raised there eat those fruits. Or maybe it's something specific to having acid on an empty stomach.
Although, anyone who thinks someone like you would want to poison a guest is probably a little off.
Hope they've already checked out and that you have nicer guests heading your way!

Steph - great info.
Funny - These are so-called "poisonious" fruits yet every Chinese Buffet in the US go to has pineapples on the fruit /salad line. Ahhhhh this is hw they plan to to slowly poison us!

Steph - great info.
Funny - These are so-called "poisonious" fruits yet every Chinese Buffet in the US go to has pineapples on the fruit /salad line. Ahhhhh this is hw they plan to to slowly poison us!.
Copperhead said:
Steph - great info.
Funny - These are so-called "poisonious" fruits yet every Chinese Buffet in the US go to has pineapples on the fruit /salad line. Ahhhhh this is hw they plan to to slowly poison us!
That's what I said to hubs last night!

Bree,
If it's any comfort to your hostessing abilities, one of my favorite traditional Chinese pastries is stuffed with pineapple and China is the world's second largest producer of grapefruit. Maybe it's specific to Hong Kong, but I've never heard anything like that and I've seen Chinese friends who were raised there eat those fruits. Or maybe it's something specific to having acid on an empty stomach.
Although, anyone who thinks someone like you would want to poison a guest is probably a little off.
Hope they've already checked out and that you have nicer guests heading your way!.
stephanie said:
Bree,
Hope they've already checked out and that you have nicer guests heading your way!
My daughter told me the same thing...she has lots of friends from China and not a single one has ever said that pineapple is a 'forbidden' fruit.

Bree,
Hope they've already checked out and that you have nicer guests heading your way!.
stephanie said:
Bree,
My daughter told me the same thing...she has lots of friends from China and not a single one has ever said that pineapple is a 'forbidden' fruit.
Gheez how could that be...given the fact they eat EVERY part of a DUCK and all of those FRIED scorpions, starfish etc etc.. YUK!!! Been watching the travel shows with Samantha Brown and of course the "tidbits from the Olympics" that NBC has been doing. Definitely a place I would not go...I would be starving...of course there is always McDonalds!!!!

Bree,
stephanie said:
If I actually listed every little 'issue' I had with these guests, aspirings would think I was making them up. Believe me, my imagination is no where near as good as what guests REALLY do/say.

Bree,
stephanie said:
If I actually listed every little 'issue' I had with these guests, aspirings would think I was making them up. Believe me, my imagination is no where near as good as what guests REALLY do/say.
LOL. Well, as sorry as I do feel for you, it sounds like a sitcom over there. At the very least you'll always have good stories to tell.
I stayed at a B&B once where the innkeeper kept complaining to us about the other guests who were staying there. I was a little surprised at first, but you do what you have to do to get it off your chest, and she probably didn't know there was a forum like this to vent her frustration.
After that, we were extra careful not to make any of the same mistakes the other guests did. Not when the person who has to clean your room also gets to decide what to put in your breakfast!

Bree,
stephanie said:
LOL. Well, as sorry as I do feel for you, it sounds like a sitcom over there. At the very least you'll always have good stories to tell.
I stayed at a B&B once where the innkeeper kept complaining to us about the other guests who were staying there. I was a little surprised at first, but you do what you have to do to get it off your chest, and she probably didn't know there was a forum like this to vent her frustration.
After that, we were extra careful not to make any of the same mistakes the other guests did. Not when the person who has to clean your room also gets to decide what to put in your breakfast!
stephanie said:
I confess to doing that once, and regretting it. The guests here on a fling from diff states who wanted to NOT stay OR PAY FOR the second night as there was no taxi service back from the BAR they wanted to go to. TOUGH.
Anyway at check in I said something that they might have another couple join them or not. The new guests said, What do you mean? I explained they wanted to go get drunk and might not come back here. YES I cannot almost put that in quotes. I did not appreciated the antics of the other guests - "well since there is no taxi service we will check out and stay in a hotel over there, you aren't going to charge me are you?"
Sae, guy who kept referring to the other guest as "the other person will be here soon." ICK!

Of course they showed for breakfast. Her pouting overly injected lips, face lift and stitched back brow and augmented-ness was there right on time.

Which is why we remain anon for the most part on this forum. Regulars all know who we are and where we are, but anyone who is here by chance...ruh roh...keep our names outa it!

Bree,
stephanie said:
stephanie said:
I confess to doing that once, and regretting it. The guests here on a fling from diff states who wanted to NOT stay OR PAY FOR the second night as there was no taxi service back from the BAR they wanted to go to. TOUGH.
Anyway at check in I said something that they might have another couple join them or not. The new guests said, What do you mean? I explained they wanted to go get drunk and might not come back here. YES I cannot almost put that in quotes. I did not appreciated the antics of the other guests - "well since there is no taxi service we will check out and stay in a hotel over there, you aren't going to charge me are you?"
Sae, guy who kept referring to the other guest as "the other person will be here soon." ICK!

Of course they showed for breakfast. Her pouting overly injected lips, face lift and stitched back brow and augmented-ness was there right on time.
When I yelled at those kids last week, I had already had enough of them and it was day 1. I went into the living room and the other guests said, 'Are they here for long?' and I replied. And then I yammered. And then I apologized and said, 'I'm sorry, I never should have talked to you about another guest,' and I walked away kicking myself.

Bree,
stephanie said:
stephanie said:

When I yelled at those kids last week, I had already had enough of them and it was day 1. I went into the living room and the other guests said, 'Are they here for long?' and I replied. And then I yammered. And then I apologized and said, 'I'm sorry, I never should have talked to you about another guest,' and I walked away kicking myself.
Oh gosh, I just reread what I wrote and realized it sounded kind of negative. We actually didn't mind that she confided in us. Just surprised, but we were practically friends by the end of the week we spent there. And it made us feel kind of like the favorite kid in the family
teeth_smile.gif

But then again, that's how DH and I bonded before we started dating--making fun of people. It's a survival tactic.

Bree,
stephanie said:
stephanie said:
Oh I think this should be a posted sign in the guest rooms... the person that cleans your room also makes your breakfast ;)

Back