Arkansawyer, case in point right here...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
You just can't make this stuff up.
I just had to go (at 7 AM with a mostly full house) to ask a guest to STOP PLAYING HIS GUITAR AND SINGING. His room is surrounded by other guest rooms and he disturbed every single one of them.
If no one had been here I can guarantee you that one of the other guests would have taken matters into their own hands to stop the playing. You just can't ever assume that people have sense, or if they have it will use it.
GREAT start to my day by the way, adrenaline rush! IDIOT.

I had this some lads had brought their own Ipod dock and were playing it in full blast I could hear it on the other side of the building and a floor down. I went up to ask them to turn it down as there were other guest rooms surrounding them oh we never thought but we are going out now anyway later on during the night they trashed the room breaking a lamp and wardrobe and staining the carpet. They paid the day before and checked out by leaving the keys on the desk. You have to make sure you don't get a rep as someone who will stand for that kind of behaviour. My DH was saying one of the online booking agencies rang looking for 5 twin rooms on a friday I said "my **** YOU DIDN'T TAKE IT DID YOU?" he said no we didn't have enough I said that ** for that it would have been a stag party!!! he had never even thought and I nearly had a stroke!

Rupes, you know I have to ask...what was he playing? You will probably have it on repeat in your head all day.
wink_smile.gif

Rupes, you know I have to ask...what was he playing? You will probably have it on repeat in your head all day.
wink_smile.gif
I think it was an original composition! At least he was pretty good, playing and voice wise...sounded kinda blue-grassy which was nice anyway.
poke.gif

There was a piano in the living room when we bought the inn. A guest of the previous owner (GOPO) used to play it at all hours of the night, apparently. After our first experience with that, I volunteered it quickly to my sister who wanted to get piano lessons for my nieces.
I assume by take matters into their own hands, you meant that literally?

I just had the same experience as Cam...only at 1A
potty-mouth.gif
M. The couple was truly wonderful by day, gracious and chatty with the other guests but they somehow quickly forgot ANYone else was staying here and trying to sleep!
Luckily we have an in house phone system and I called the room, it rang several times then the music fell silent and I hung up. I never had to say anything - which I was thankful, and was never brought up. They even sent me the most thoughtful thank you note. This was their first B&B experience, maybe they learned a thing or two.
wink_smile.gif

B&B or hotel........they would get the same response from management for disturbing guests near their room

Fortunately, I designed the construction of our guest rooms. They share a common wall in the bathrooms. However, this common wall is a double insulated wall and is about 99.9% sound proof as are the cottages themselves.
DW and I have visited a lot of B&Bs in the last 29 years and lack of privacy and quiet was our biggest complaint. I know it's difficult to sound proof in older existing structures, but it's worth it to improve that aspect of your establishment if you can.
If you do have an older place, one solution without demolition is polyurethane foam insulation that can be injected into the wall cavities. The new stuff, I understand, even fireproofs to a certain extent. If done all over, you can probably get an energy credit as well. Check you local building codes.

Back