Arrrrrg!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Our B&B is near a large once-a-month flea market called Canton First Monday Trade Days. We are very fortunate that it practically guarantees bookings from 1 to 3 days at least once a month. It is literally impossible to find lodging anywhere in the area unless you have made reservations at least a month in advance. To top it off, this month our town features its annual "Old Fiddler's Contest" that brings people in from all over the country. In all the hotels, motels, inns and B&Bs in a 30-mile area, there is literally no room available.
So, tell me why today my phone has been ringing off the wall from people wanting a reservation for tomorrow night. I know that a lot of this is people making last minute plans, but get real! It would be like just showing up in New Orleans during Mardi Gras and expecting to get a room. You just don't do that! PLAN AHEAD PEOPLE!
Then, when I tell them that we've been booked for this weekend since last year, they're incredulous. These people don't travel much or they don't have a clue.
Rant over......There.....I feel better.

You answered your own question...they don't plan.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Just like the 4AM phonecalls from the ones who want a room during Wine Fest...Good luck people, have fun sleeping in your car!

I live in a tourist destination area and it always amazes me the poeple that will call in July/August and say threy just arrived in town and really need a place to stay. I say sorry, we are full. They say, but, you don't understand, we really need a place to stay. I say sorry, we are full. however, you could check XYZ inn or ABC inn...
I'm curious though what their point is for stressing that they really need a place to stay. are they thinking i am not telling them the truth? that i'm going to say, oh, just a moment and i will go boot out one of our current guests who doesn't really need a place to stay and who made their reservation back in March.

Fiddler's Contest sounds FUN!
We've seen the same trend this year...the old "the economy's bad so I can probably wait 'til the last minute/get a great deal"...plus maybe folks really didn't know if they would be able to make the trip until the last minute.
These phone calls are PITA's, but I always do try to help them find a place, and thank them for the call. I think they do remember if you are helpful, and maybe if they get to plan ahead next year they'll book with you.
OR just don't answer the phone, sometimes we do that as well
teeth_smile.gif

I live in a tourist destination area and it always amazes me the poeple that will call in July/August and say threy just arrived in town and really need a place to stay. I say sorry, we are full. They say, but, you don't understand, we really need a place to stay. I say sorry, we are full. however, you could check XYZ inn or ABC inn...
I'm curious though what their point is for stressing that they really need a place to stay. are they thinking i am not telling them the truth? that i'm going to say, oh, just a moment and i will go boot out one of our current guests who doesn't really need a place to stay and who made their reservation back in March..
And why is it that they are AMAZED that we're full? As if no one would stay here, but THEY are desparate so they will. The last 2 weeks of August are the worst. The line of walk-ins goes around the corner...even with the 'no vacancy' sign up they are hoping someone left early or didn't show up.
I had one woman come back 2x one day 'just checking' to see if anyone had left early. The last time was at 8 PM. 'Just checking, maybe someone left early.'

speaking of valentine's day, it reminds me of when i used to work at a florist shop back home. People would come in on valentines day, mothers day, easter etc and say something like, "oh my gosh, today is valentine's day, i didn't know, i really need something red, just anything red for flowers, it doesn't matter what it is..."
2 points to this:
1. ummm, noone told you that valentine's day is feb 14 this year!? i don't know what day it was last year or will be next year but i'm so sorry that noone told you it was feb 14th this year. geez!
2. so glad you are not my BF/DH rushing in here at the last minute begging for anything red because you are a slacker & couldn't plan ahead.

speaking of valentine's day, it reminds me of when i used to work at a florist shop back home. People would come in on valentines day, mothers day, easter etc and say something like, "oh my gosh, today is valentine's day, i didn't know, i really need something red, just anything red for flowers, it doesn't matter what it is..."
2 points to this:
1. ummm, noone told you that valentine's day is feb 14 this year!? i don't know what day it was last year or will be next year but i'm so sorry that noone told you it was feb 14th this year. geez!
2. so glad you are not my BF/DH rushing in here at the last minute begging for anything red because you are a slacker & couldn't plan ahead..
The Saturday before Mothers Day was talking with my friend who owns her own florist shop when a guy walked in and said he needed 3 floral arrangements for Mothers Day. He then proceeded to whinge on about how HARD it was to have 3 women in the family he had to buy flowers for.
OK, he walked in, placed his order and then stood there on his phone while my friend selected all the flowers, arranged them and presented him with the finished product. He looked up to see 3 women looking at him (me, my friend and another customer) and he said, 'You are all probably thinking I'm an idiot.' Bingo. No one said a word to him. I bet each of us was thinking, 'Glad I'M not the mother/wife you love so much that it's a trial to buy flowers one day a year.'
The day before I was getting my hair cut and a guy walked in on his cellphone trying to get a Mothers Day gift for his wife. He kept the hair stylist waiting while he called this one and that one (using the phone book in the salon). Finally he called a spa that she goes to and said, 'What does she usually have done? Good, here's my credit card, next time she comes in it'll all be paid for.'
OK, he at least paid for something she wanted, but obviously had no clue what she's all about.
None of which has anything to do with getting a room at a B&B...but everything to do with planning for something you know is coming.

The same thing happens for major holidays like Valentine's Day. I've had them call up to 6 PM of the day itself. I guess they figure that perhaps they will be the "exception".

on the other side of the coin, there was a guy that called last year and made reservations for he & his GF. he said he did not tell her where he was taking her to ( he said she had always wanted to travel to this state) he asked if i could get blue hydrangeas (cause those are her favorite) a specific kind of chocolates & wine (also her favorites). he & i exchanged a couple of phone calls to discuss things and each time he commented how he wanted things to be so special for her cause he loves her so much. *sigh* i thought for sure he was probably going to aske her to marry him. don't know if he did, they never mentioned anything about it but they were both very pleased. her because he was so thoughtful and him because she appreciated his thoughtfulness.
i have to say though, i'm pretty lucky, DH tends to lean much closer to this guy's way of doing things as opposed to the guy in the flower shop.

....that i'm going to say, oh, just a moment and i will go boot out one of our current guests who doesn't really need a place to stay and who made their reservation back in March.
Yep, even had THAT told to me once. You know him - he's the only person in the world!!!

Our peak is July...
We have repeats coming and she called in March... and was distressed the room was already booked for one of the nights. "I thought I was booking early!" she said.
Well, the other guy booked on his way out the door last year...
Happily, when I called to confirm he was still coming he said it was no problem to move him to another room, so all's well.
=)
Kk.

Our peak is July...
We have repeats coming and she called in March... and was distressed the room was already booked for one of the nights. "I thought I was booking early!" she said.
Happily, when I called to confirm he was still coming he said it was no problem to move him to another room, so all's well.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
The smart ones do that. We have about 10 guests who book on the way out the door for their next year's stay. And then we have the ones who just show up at the door, no calls at all. I dont usually have to turn them away, but sometimes I do. Because they're old timers they're ok with it and know they should have called. We 'loan' them to another inn for that night.

very typical here as well. i don't like it when they start yelling at me because they have no place to stay and sometimes have children with them. why would someone go away in the summer with children and have no place to stay? why would they go someplace popular? if they don't know and aren't coming for that event then they just don't know. that's happened to me. drive into town in what i think is the off season only to find out that some big festival i know nothing about is taking place that wekend. that's not why i ended upt here but that's what happens.

Just like the 4AM phonecalls from the ones who want a room during Wine Fest...Good luck people, have fun sleeping in your car!.
Good luck people, have fun sleeping in your car!
That is exactly what we did in 1986 (not fun however thank you) when DH decided 6PM was too early to stop for the night (we were in Albany) and decided about St George to start looking....... About 2 AM near Ft Ticonderoga we found a wude spot along the road and "slept?" in the 5 passenger JEEP with one kid in the back back, 3 kids in the back sit and a very angry Mother and snarling Dad in the front seats. We did have a rez the next night across the river from the Fort.

I assume it's located in Canton, Texas? I have a friend there and she always says what a little podunk town it is!
teeth_smile.gif

During 10 days in October we experience our busiest season - the Albuqueruqe International Balloon Fiesta. We book out by a year too, well almost - I won't start taking resevations for this until Jan 1, but this is also the time when we have lots of cancellations, so I am always grateful for the last minute calls, because then I can reimberse the guest that cancelled and it makes for good will.

During 10 days in October we experience our busiest season - the Albuqueruqe International Balloon Fiesta. We book out by a year too, well almost - I won't start taking resevations for this until Jan 1, but this is also the time when we have lots of cancellations, so I am always grateful for the last minute calls, because then I can reimberse the guest that cancelled and it makes for good will..
Welcome Adobenido!
welcome.gif
I have seen this festival on TV. Lovely!!! Stayed in your lovely city many, many moons ago. Beautiful area.
Question, Since you do bookup so far in advance for this do you keep a wait list in case someone cancels?

During 10 days in October we experience our busiest season - the Albuqueruqe International Balloon Fiesta. We book out by a year too, well almost - I won't start taking resevations for this until Jan 1, but this is also the time when we have lots of cancellations, so I am always grateful for the last minute calls, because then I can reimberse the guest that cancelled and it makes for good will..
Love your tag line!

Welcome Adobenido!
welcome.gif
I have seen this festival on TV. Lovely!!! Stayed in your lovely city many, many moons ago. Beautiful area.
Question, Since you do bookup so far in advance for this do you keep a wait list in case someone cancels?
Hi Copperhead - thanks for the welcome
I don't have a waiting list. What we do in Albuquerque is keep a spread sheet online in Google Docs, and we all keep it up to date with our availaility. Only the innkeepers have access to the calendar. When someone calls we send them to someone who has availability. We try to place everyone we can, and even let non-member inns participate. As we get closer to the balloon fiesta, (I call it balloon fiasco), and there are inns with cancellations, we can pair them up with the last minute bookers. Since doing this we haven't had too many inns go with empty rooms during fiesta, and potential guests don't get annoyed by calling 10 or more inns to find a room. The hardest part is getting inns to update.

Back