Article in Midwest Living

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We suffer from #1 - old furnishings. But we are working on it. Many of our dressers are simply old. Some are antique or at least, old and attractive.

We suffer from #1 - old furnishings. But we are working on it. Many of our dressers are simply old. Some are antique or at least, old and attractive..
TheBeachHouse said:
We suffer from #1 - old furnishings. But we are working on it. Many of our dressers are simply old. Some are antique or at least, old and attractive.
We also suffer from dated dressers. (Found a stamp on one of them that shows they were made in the 60's.) I'm painting them this year to get a cottage look.

I agree on this one
If you find an inn with a very sophisticated site full of beautiful photos and seamless navigation, you can almost guarantee that you’ve found an innkeeper who leaves no detail to chance in your room or meals, either.

Is there a place to put comments on the article?
I think the list should go in order, website #1 before you go in the door. I contacted the author on Twitter. I believe this article is very good and needs an innkeepers POV.

We suffer from #1 - old furnishings. But we are working on it. Many of our dressers are simply old. Some are antique or at least, old and attractive..
TheBeachHouse said:
We also suffer from dated dressers. (Found a stamp on one of them that shows they were made in the 60's.) I'm painting them this year to get a cottage look.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Good idea.

I think the list should go in order, website #1 before you go in the door. I contacted the author on Twitter. I believe this article is very good and needs an innkeepers POV..
Joey Bloggs said:
I didn't see any place for comments - they are probably not enabled. I would love to know if the writer responds.
I also agree that that the writer is pretty on with the comments, and the underlying tone is more important - what we always say about guests. Read and research for yourselves, because B&Bs are unique. The question then is - what does your presence to potential guests (be it website, phone inquiries or social media) tell your guests about your place?
P.S. I might not have used exactly the same words the writer did - 'sketchy' isn't really right; I don't think someone with piano music on their website is an axe murderer. 'dated' furniture isn't really right - I think dilapidated or dusty is more appropriate. Maddie - you have 'vintage' dressers, not old. They command a premium on eBay.

TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Good idea.
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Good idea.
It is an awesome ideal. I've done it, give the piece a whole now look.

I think the list should go in order, website #1 before you go in the door. I contacted the author on Twitter. I believe this article is very good and needs an innkeepers POV..
Joey Bloggs said:
I didn't see any place for comments - they are probably not enabled. I would love to know if the writer responds.
I also agree that that the writer is pretty on with the comments, and the underlying tone is more important - what we always say about guests. Read and research for yourselves, because B&Bs are unique. The question then is - what does your presence to potential guests (be it website, phone inquiries or social media) tell your guests about your place?
P.S. I might not have used exactly the same words the writer did - 'sketchy' isn't really right; I don't think someone with piano music on their website is an axe murderer. 'dated' furniture isn't really right - I think dilapidated or dusty is more appropriate. Maddie - you have 'vintage' dressers, not old. They command a premium on eBay.
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I got a chuckle out of his choice of words also, I thought it may be a mid-west thing, correct me mid-westies if I am wrong. He said Sketchy and lame and also "A DUD" and I thought that was pretty plain speak and to the point.
I got a visual of two guests walking away from a B&B overnight stay shaking their heads "Boy that really was a dud"
shades_smile.gif

I noticed he didn't mention to check online reviews. Interesting omission?

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I got a chuckle out of his choice of words also, I thought it may be a mid-west thing, correct me mid-westies if I am wrong. He said Sketchy and lame and also "A DUD" and I thought that was pretty plain speak and to the point.
I got a visual of two guests walking away from a B&B overnight stay shaking their heads "Boy that really was a dud"
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif

I sure don"t say Sketchy

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif

I say sketchy and lame. But I think it's an age thing more than location. I picked those words up from my kids.

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Maddie - you have 'vintage' dressers, not old. They command a premium on eBay.
THANK YOU! That is the word I've needed. I'll be doing some updating on the website...

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
THANK YOU! That is the word I've needed. I'll be doing some updating on the website...
Around here VINTAGE is really in. Here's a friend's shop. They buy from another friend, fix the stuff up and sell like hotcakes!! See here.

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif

I say sketchy and lame. But I think it's an age thing more than location. I picked those words up from my kids.
Madeleine said:
'sketchy' to me is that might be a crack house next door and are those hookers hanging out on the street corner? MWL and I don't have the same idea of sketchy, to be sure.

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
'sketchy' to me is that might be a crack house next door and are those hookers hanging out on the street corner? MWL and I don't have the same idea of sketchy, to be sure.
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
Absolutely. Sketchy is definitely crack house/hooker territory. Not someplace that has older linens and a bad website.

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Around here VINTAGE is really in. Here's a friend's shop. They buy from another friend, fix the stuff up and sell like hotcakes!! See here.
EmptyNest said:
Love this place. Would hire some of these folks to paint my furniture for me, they do such good work.

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
Absolutely. Sketchy is definitely crack house/hooker territory. Not someplace that has older linens and a bad website.
Sketchy means the same thing in the UK - somewhere you don't go at night or sometimes even in the day!

Sketchy can be scary seedy icky, or it can be lack of details, incomplete, not great or perfect. I read it as the latter. But then realized it was pertaining to B&B's in the context.
As a journalist he was using it in the proper context, but as a reader we tend to see the more familiar version. I wrote a blog article that was reviewed by a journalist and he did the same thing to me, the word I used totally meant what I said it did, but in journalism the proper def was not how I meant it. I said I am writing for the avg joe, ie joe bloggs, he said doesn't matter.
But then journalists hate the top 10 lists which people love, and of course they do they aren't real journalism. Boy am I sidetracking or what!

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
Sketchy means the same thing in the UK - somewhere you don't go at night or sometimes even in the day!
Joey Camb said:
Reminds me of another word the British use, and I wish we used: dodgy

Joey Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Camb said:
Arks said:
Joey Camb said:
Maybe Chrysler had part in stopping that usage here. LOL!

Back