As a former B & B owner...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I've been getting texts this afternoon from a woman asking all kinds of questions about renting 4 rooms for their family reunion on Thanksgiving weekend. Of course, everything she asks is answered on the website, and it's really hard to give lengthy details in a text message. Last time she wrote, she said, "And what sort of family discount can we get. I know it's tacky to ask, but as I former B & B owner I know it never hurts to ask."

I resisted telling her I'm going to charge extra. Like everybody, I hate rentals to groups. For one thing, individuals make their reservations online and don't bother we with a lot of questions the website answers! I ignored the discount question. She also wants to know the location of all the "cute shops" in town. As far as I know, other than Walmart we have one shop in town, and it's not that cute!

Oddly, I’ve found former and present owners want the most. Not all, but definitely quite a few.

I resisted telling her I'm going to charge extra.

Groups don't usually understand the problems of small properties. A large property likely has a group sales office, while a small/tiny property is risking putting all their eggs in one basket. I usually tell groups that I'm not a good choice for their needs that due to our small size I tend to have unreasonable needs, mostly due to the fact that they often want to cancel at the last minute.

Agree about groups. They're the most likely to cancel on you. As soon as one of them can't make it, it's a cascade of cancellation.

As a current innkeeper, I never ask for any discounts or deals from my brethren/sisters in the business. I know how hard it is, so I don't feel like picking the pockets of others. I doubt after retirement my attitude would change.

Some business is not worth having, if the info is on your web site just send the link, any info about the town the link to the Chamber of Commerce. How much time do you want to waste on this. I remember somebody who was going on about a discount, a holiday weekend, late cancellation but did not stay unbooked long, quite nice to point that out and good luck finding anywhere else.

Not traveling these days but I never asked for a discount as a former B&B owner. Sometimes it's been offered and I declined. I know how hard these folks work!! When the discount just appeared on the bill or innkeepers insisted on it, I'd leave a much bigger tip. Sometimes I would send a thank you note and include some kind of gift card. I really didn't tip at B&Bs much (except for extraordinary service or amenities) before I was an innkeeper/owner. Walking the walk changes your perspective a lot...

Back