As a sole female proprietor, I was curious if there were others SF Innkeepers on this forum....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
and If you have had any difficulties in that regard?
For example, I don't take walk ins who just show up on the door step unexpectedly at 11pm at night...ya know that kind of thing.
Anybody else?

I do not live alone but am the sole proprietor/host here. DH shows his face mostly when not wanted - oh well.
I would not feel comfortable with a walk-in at 11PM (and DH is even less comfortable about that). HE is more likely to lock out side of the house than I am. Of course he is from the burbs of Chicago where they have to lock everything. The Chief told me this morning that we have not had ANY B & E this year.

I do not live alone but am the sole proprietor/host here. DH shows his face mostly when not wanted - oh well.
I would not feel comfortable with a walk-in at 11PM (and DH is even less comfortable about that). HE is more likely to lock out side of the house than I am. Of course he is from the burbs of Chicago where they have to lock everything. The Chief told me this morning that we have not had ANY B & E this year..
I'm a country girl.
I like to hunt and fish, and I can take care of myself. I probably shouldn't post this here, but I have a gun and would have no problem using it if it was truly a matter of life or death.
However, I would never let on to anyone that I have a gun in the Inn.
That is between me and you gentle readers, btw.
I am not paranoid. Just careful and aware.

I would not feel comfortable with a walk-in at 11PM (and DH is even less comfortable about that). HE is more likely to lock out side of the house than I am. Of course he is from the burbs of Chicago where they have to lock everything. The Chief told me this morning that we have not had ANY B & E this year..
I'm a country girl.
I like to hunt and fish, and I can take care of myself. I probably shouldn't post this here, but I have a gun and would have no problem using it if it was truly a matter of life or death.
However, I would never let on to anyone that I have a gun in the Inn.
That is between me and you gentle readers, btw.
I am not paranoid. Just careful and aware.
Ditto. Dh built muzzle-loaders until post-polio ended that. We (HE) have always been so safety conscious that by the time we could ever get to the "toy" and then get to the parts that make it work, we would be dead! Whatever makes him happy. Personally, I am glad I do know how to use and am not afraid to....
As to the "toys" only a few guests have been given the priviledge of seeing or handling the ones that DH built. We have given a demo of how a lock works to kids - we have one (lock only) that we used when we did living history for just that purpose.

unless i was waiting for someone's arrival, no ... i did not open the door. usually 9 pm was the limit. after that, sorry ......

I have a dh... and he didn't get laid off, but they moved him to second shift so I'm on my own (with the ds5x2) from about 2:30 til 11:20 p.m.
I'm not in the country, but it's a lovely, safe, small town so I feel pretty safe. Plus, I grew up baling hay on a farm, and I've never, ever been remotely petite. So, I don't think much about it, and would probably open the door. For that matter, when dh worked days I would open the door to all kinds of contractors and other callers.
I might have a different attitude if I were more feminine and/or petite.... but I can't imagine why anyone would want to bother with me, and they'd have to be fairly strong to budge me. And if they threatened my kids, well, mama-bear-and-her-cub rules apply.
And if they're truly crazy/violent/dangerous, then having a dh here (and I've got a keeper!) wouldn't help that much, would it?
=)
Kk.

I'm not a SF and I don't take walk-ins after 9 PM. It's no darker at 11 PM, but it's later. It's a general feeling I have that if you haven't found your accommodations by then, you really need to be at a hotel, because you'll probably be trouble.

If you are a country girl you should have more than "a" gun.
tounge_smile.gif
Locked and loaded.

for me, it wasn't so much a gender issue or a strength issue but a vulnerability issue or the appearance of vulnerability. where i was, at the end of a dark road (literally) it could easily be that someone found himself/herself/themselves at the end of the road and not wanting to treck back, looked for a place to stay. totally understandable.
if there were guests in the library and/or on the porch, and someone arrived, i was likely to accommodate them. but if the place was quiet, the guests up in their rooms, no one in the common areas, probably i'd just lock up and not be answering the door.
there was another thread about security a while back ... not sure what the title was ... and i mentioned that i did have a tiny pepper spray and also a baseball bat ready to hand. not sure these items would be helpful but i like to think so.
years back, i was working someplace else (not a b&b, but a clothing store) and we were robbed by someone who was very agitated. he became angry that there wasn't much cash to be taken. smashed a few things, but not me, thank goodness. that is the type of scenario i was concerned about when running the inn alone. not much cash around but possibly someone would THINK there was.
all innkeepers, regardless of their gender or whether or not they work alone, should take a moment to evaluate their own security and that of their guests. we each have to do what is comfortable for us. but i wouldn't recommend that anyone open their door at all hours of the night for unexpected guests.

for me, it wasn't so much a gender issue or a strength issue but a vulnerability issue or the appearance of vulnerability. where i was, at the end of a dark road (literally) it could easily be that someone found himself/herself/themselves at the end of the road and not wanting to treck back, looked for a place to stay. totally understandable.
if there were guests in the library and/or on the porch, and someone arrived, i was likely to accommodate them. but if the place was quiet, the guests up in their rooms, no one in the common areas, probably i'd just lock up and not be answering the door.
there was another thread about security a while back ... not sure what the title was ... and i mentioned that i did have a tiny pepper spray and also a baseball bat ready to hand. not sure these items would be helpful but i like to think so.
years back, i was working someplace else (not a b&b, but a clothing store) and we were robbed by someone who was very agitated. he became angry that there wasn't much cash to be taken. smashed a few things, but not me, thank goodness. that is the type of scenario i was concerned about when running the inn alone. not much cash around but possibly someone would THINK there was.
all innkeepers, regardless of their gender or whether or not they work alone, should take a moment to evaluate their own security and that of their guests. we each have to do what is comfortable for us. but i wouldn't recommend that anyone open their door at all hours of the night for unexpected guests..
It's quite possible that there are people ringing the bell at 11 PM and I am out like a light! I do get asked kind of frequently by other innkeepers, 'So, did you get the midnight door knockers yesterday?' Nope. Not me.
I do have in the guest book (that no one reads) that guests should NOT open the door just because someone rings the bell. I think I made a joke out of it by saying if they let them in, they have to deal with them as I may not be here or I may be asleep. And anyone who needs to be in the house has been given access already. (Now if they FORGOT how to get in, they have to wait for me.)

We have sometimes late walk ins due to that they are traveling and there is no cell coverage for 100's of miles ( us cellphones don't seem to work trough Canada for some reason ) for them to call us.
I too have a DH, but am the sole proprietor of the B&B.
I understand where everyone is coming from, but we feel very safe in our little community......and we also have more then 1......
However, if I were all by myself I don't think I would feel comfortable taking late walk ins. You just never know.

We don't take late walk-ins unless the military base has called for rooms which happens once in a blue moon.... 10:30 was the latest they called and it was appropriate to take in the soldiers at that time. The local hotel has also called us but never past 9pm. We did have someone come to the door at 2:30 am asking if we had a room since the hotel was closed for the night. Geesh!! Sent them on their way.
I feel very safe here in this town... the street is well lit and so is our property. Our police force is up and down this road frequently both day and night

I run my B&B solo. I run the "out on the water" charter aspect of the business with a captain who lives on this same dock in the boat across the pier. After what happened to the crew of "Joe Cool" in Miami Beach, we don't take walk-ups under any circumstances at any hour of the day or night (not even if you're waiving several thousand dollar bills - cash - in my face), and advance reservations require a deposit via credit card.
FYI...the crew of "Joe Cool" (a fishing charter boat out of Miami Beach) took a couple of guys who walked up and were paying something like $4,000 cash for a deep sea fishing charter in the Atlantic...a little high, but not so expensive that it was unrealistic. All four crew members were executed at sea and dumped overboard, their bodies never to be found. Two of this crew members were husband/wife and left behind an infant child. They tried to motor the boat to Cuba, but ran out of fuel and were found drifting in the Atlantic.

I run my B&B solo. I run the "out on the water" charter aspect of the business with a captain who lives on this same dock in the boat across the pier. After what happened to the crew of "Joe Cool" in Miami Beach, we don't take walk-ups under any circumstances at any hour of the day or night (not even if you're waiving several thousand dollar bills - cash - in my face), and advance reservations require a deposit via credit card.
FYI...the crew of "Joe Cool" (a fishing charter boat out of Miami Beach) took a couple of guys who walked up and were paying something like $4,000 cash for a deep sea fishing charter in the Atlantic...a little high, but not so expensive that it was unrealistic. All four crew members were executed at sea and dumped overboard, their bodies never to be found. Two of this crew members were husband/wife and left behind an infant child. They tried to motor the boat to Cuba, but ran out of fuel and were found drifting in the Atlantic..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
FYI...the crew of "Joe Cool" (a fishing charter boat out of Miami Beach) took a couple of guys who walked up and were paying something like $4,000 cash for a deep sea fishing charter in the Atlantic...a little high, but not so expensive that it was unrealistic. All four crew members were executed at sea and dumped overboard, their bodies never to be found. Two of this crew members were husband/wife and left behind an infant child. They tried to motor the boat to Cuba, but ran out of fuel and were found drifting in the Atlantic.
I can only hope the Hell has a special place for people like that.

FYI...the crew of "Joe Cool" (a fishing charter boat out of Miami Beach) took a couple of guys who walked up and were paying something like $4,000 cash for a deep sea fishing charter in the Atlantic...a little high, but not so expensive that it was unrealistic. All four crew members were executed at sea and dumped overboard, their bodies never to be found. Two of this crew members were husband/wife and left behind an infant child. They tried to motor the boat to Cuba, but ran out of fuel and were found drifting in the Atlantic..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I can only hope the Hell has a special place for people like that.
I second that sentiment however I feel that there is no place in Hell or on Earth that is bad enough for that vermin that does not deserve to be called human.

I'm not in fear of late drive ins, I'm just annoyed. Last night's 10:30 surprise drive in got the "sorry, no rooms" speech, even though we had rooms available, but it's my experience that someone driving up that late doesn't want to pay our rates and I'm not haggling. It's the GPS that brings them here sometimes and since our business name doesn't have B&B in the title, it's not clear to them that we're so small when they see our location on their GPS.
We do have our "protection" here, but since we live in the country, it's good to have in case of bear or other threatening animal.

I am SP even though I have a dh but he is in our house, not the B&B.
The B&B has no sign, only the address is listed on directories. If I have guests, I am there but the door is always locked. If I have no guests, I am not there and if someone looked up the address and showed up, no one would answer the door.
I have had late phone calls. I answer calls up to 1030pm, but not later.
Had a call this week about 9:15pm from a business traveler wanting to come in at 12midnight. I told him he needed to go to a hotel. He was on the road but evidently hadn't planned ahead.
Have had a number of calls during the night before we got rid of the house phone and occassionally after they called dh phone.

I am a SP with a DH who has a full-time job. This is basically my business and he pitches in...not how I thought it would play out. So....
I don't take walk-ins at any time. Reservations booked in advance only.
The guests have my cell phone number once they get here & I have changed the room book instructions as well as the tour to let them know to call my cell phone if they need anything 24 hours a day. We now do not answer the reservation line after 9 PM, unless there is a late arrival out there (usually recognizable by the area code on the caller ID).
I am learning....

That was big news.......and one of the criminals was a famous child actor

Back