As the seasons change

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
As the seasons change so do the sights of interest in each of our communities/regions. Although many of us have a busier fall than the rest of the year - the guests are expecting everything to be open and business as usual. Unfortunately many things SHUT DOWN this time of year - they are primarily summer season businesses.
How do you deal with this with your guests? Do you make up lists of places/sights that are closed now or lists of places that are open? Do you not worry about it at all and let the guests figure it all out on their own?
Difficulty for me in promoting our area and guests arrive when it is colder and think a summertime activity is still in full swing.
I had a gal email about their anniv Dec 28th and asking about things to do that will no doubt be shut up tight, esp between Christmas and New Year - and WINTERTIME!

I would try and list it in a positive note - I would not make a list of what is closed. I would make a list of what is OPEN or Things to Do for the off-season. That way you are being truthful but not negative. If they ask, of course tell them it's closed.
RIki

I would try and list it in a positive note - I would not make a list of what is closed. I would make a list of what is OPEN or Things to Do for the off-season. That way you are being truthful but not negative. If they ask, of course tell them it's closed.
RIki.
The reason I mentioned a list of "what is closed" as those are the places people are going to and reporting back they are not open in October. Around here plenty close after the summer is over. (I don't even know when it is most places shut down anyway)
Case in point - a guest who won a 2 night stay went to redeem her winning gc at a local restaurant (I did not present this gc, it was part of her prize package) that is not open Sat evenings. They close at 5pm on Saturday. They called me from the restaurant Sat night. They could have gone there for lunch. I assured her it gives her reason to come back another time!
On our blog I do list them and on the room restaurant list. I say "Open Thurs and Fri evenings for dinner and live music" I just can't list all the hours of every place in town, in season and out.
and...you know they roll up the sidewalks around here on a Sunday night. Guests roll in and expect everything to be open - like it is in their "city" at home.

RIki.
The reason I mentioned a list of "what is closed" as those are the places people are going to and reporting back they are not open in October. Around here plenty close after the summer is over. (I don't even know when it is most places shut down anyway)
Case in point - a guest who won a 2 night stay went to redeem her winning gc at a local restaurant (I did not present this gc, it was part of her prize package) that is not open Sat evenings. They close at 5pm on Saturday. They called me from the restaurant Sat night. They could have gone there for lunch. I assured her it gives her reason to come back another time!
On our blog I do list them and on the room restaurant list. I say "Open Thurs and Fri evenings for dinner and live music" I just can't list all the hours of every place in town, in season and out.
and...you know they roll up the sidewalks around here on a Sunday night. Guests roll in and expect everything to be open - like it is in their "city" at home.
I can relate to why you're saying. I just had guests stay who have been here several times so you would think they are familiar with how "Mom & Pop" businesses work around here. They complained that 2 places they went to only took cash and I should warn people about that. One place was a little diner type restaurant and the other was a thrift shop.
Geez, I give them an enormous amount of information, but really, I can't or don't want to keep up with all the "Mom & Pops"!

RIki.
I can relate to why you're saying. I just had guests stay who have been here several times so you would think they are familiar with how "Mom & Pop" businesses work around here. They complained that 2 places they went to only took cash and I should warn people about that. One place was a little diner type restaurant and the other was a thrift shop.
Geez, I give them an enormous amount of information, but really, I can't or don't want to keep up with all the "Mom & Pops"!
The thing that bothers me personally is that they know they are not going into a metro area, so not sure why they expect more than what there is available. Maybe it is time to run my blog article I have in draft form about "5 surefire ways to offend the locals."
I am going to start another thread on this...somewhat humorous issue.

All you can say is to prepare them ....that lots of things will be closed. There just isn't much to do here in the winter....sorry. I think with you great blog, just tell people to look there. Hey if things close down, you have to tell the truth...or else they blame you:-(

glasses%20008.jpg

Tonight's sunset looking East from the parking area....colors are getting there!
glasses%20007.jpg

One Maple out Front, just starting to shed!

I will blog that the covered bridges are beautiful in the winter and the winery has a fire in the fireplace with chairs in front of it just waiting for them to bring their GH lunches. The craft shops are open with their lovely WV crafts. The rail-trails are here and all the above are available at no charge (other than the packed lunches). We do not get much snow - usually - so our roads are good. That is about all I know to do or can think of at the moment.

This reminds me of the time we had guests from Arizona in April and wondered why many things were closed. They had never heard of the expression "Seasonal". Basically CT outside activites run from Memorial Day to Labor Day and some through October.
confused_smile.gif

Back